Dan #2

What Is Edmonton Like?

i'm giving moving a whole lot of thought.

There are two people keeping me here, so i don't know what i'm doing but i'm curious. there are lots of alberta-ers around here. inform me. i'm not committing to anything, cuz i don't want to do anything absurdly stupid.

What's culture like? and good concerts? tattoo and piercing places? any vegetarian restoraunts?

what's typical rent? taxes? public transit? climate? does it have greyhound coverage?

i appreciate any and all info i can get. thank you.

I'm too young and I have barely seen other parts of the world so I can't give you a very good evaluation of Edmonton... We have a giant mall (I think the biggest in the world? At least in the top 3...) A cool avenue called White Ave where a bunch of bars and cool independently owned shops reside. City transit is good in my area (southwest) Climate is hot/warm in summer and cool/cold in winter (haha, normal I suppose). Dunno about rent, but we do have greyhound here.

Personally, I think if I were to move I would go down to Calgary. It just seems like that's the happening place lately.

i'm giving moving a whole lot of thought.

There are two people keeping me here, so i don't know what i'm doing but i'm curious. there are lots of alberta-ers around here. inform me. i'm not committing to anything, cuz i don't want to do anything absurdly stupid.

What's culture like? and good concerts? tattoo and piercing places? any vegetarian restoraunts?

what's typical rent? taxes? public transit? climate? does it have greyhound coverage?

i appreciate any and all info i can get. thank you.

Edmonton is...well...green in the summer. We have lots of trees and parks. It's lovely, especially in the river valley.

Lots of cultural festivals in the summer. Sports seem popular to some (not me but I observe it...more than a few fanatics).

People will probably praise Whyte ave for being great, but it's just a bunch of teenie-bopper bars these days. It used to be great. ;) Whyte DOES have a few reputable tattoo/piercing places though. Other areas of the city have them too, of course. A couple great vegetarian/vegan restaurants on or near Whyte ave. So it has a few redeeming qualities.

Rent ranges from 450-900 for a one bedroom apartment. There may be some cheaper on the north side but I've never really looked there. For a 1 bedroom expect to pay $550-600 for something convenient/nice. For a 2 expect $700. I don't know about taxes since I don't own a house/property.

ETS (public transit) is decent. It sucks if you live on the edge of the city, so just don't live there. People complain about it a LOT, but the service is really quite good.

Climate? Very nice in summer. Not too many absurdly hot days. Too cold in winter (though global warming or something has been helping us there the last few years, especially this winter. It's like +5 and it's nearly December..).

Yes we have Greyhound connection to NWT/Yukon, BC, or east via Calgary.

i used to live all over alberta. what kind of scene are you looking for?

i got all my ink done in red deer at an incredible shop called renaissance. (that doesn't look right. did i spell it wrong?) you should go. you should definately go.

and you should post pics ;) (Of your tatts)

Edited by EvanofEdmonton

Edmonton is a cool place... I go there often.

That aside WEM was, last time I checked, the second largest mall in north america. The Mall of America is 3 sqft larger, or something trivial like that.

Can't speak too much about the bar seen, since I never go to the bars. They have two real nice bowling centers though (don't ask).

Peace

Woah... people are saying Whyte Avenue is good?

Holy crap, kids, a few months ago the CBC aired a special about the insane drunkeness and crime and fights that go on there at night!

And if it was on tv...

Drunkeness, crime AND fights. Count me in.

Screw Alberta as a whole... you don't need those rednecks.

Try living somewhere that doesn't suck.

I have no skills, but i can make $18 an hour.

I hate New Brunsick passionately.

New Brunswick is probably just as, if not more hillbilly, but i could at least respect somewhere with a population because population equals diversity and diversity equals cool.

And i'm kind of like a chameleon in that respect. I work with crusty old men who 'hate them faggits' but they respect me so i must not aggravate hillbillies too badly.

And Fredericton has a lack of piercers, and the only good tattoo artist is half crazy and charges $50 just to talk to you about your idea...

If it weren't for Kate, and a few other friends, i would go in a second.

EDIT: And i can't argue with the 18 year old drinking age, not that my being illegal has ever stopped anything...

Edited by Dan #2

Edmonton is colddddd. Seriously, how do you people live in the winter? But I'm sure it gets even colder like Monitoba or Sasketchawan. :angry:

Anyways, to the person who started this post, maybe move to Vancouver? Not that there's anything wrong with Edmonton, but Van is pretty great. Plus you're along the west coast, you can drive down to Oregan and California in the summer, and it's not so fricken cold in the damn winter! ;)

Edited by sea.change

Edmonton is colddddd. Seriously, how do you people live in the winter? But I'm sure it gets even colder like Monitoba or Sasketchawan. :angry:

Anyways, to the person who started this post, maybe move to Vancouver? Not that there's anything wrong with Edmonton, but Van is pretty great. Plus you're along the west coast, you can drive down to Oregan and California in the summer, and it's not so fricken cold in the damn winter! ;)

I would love to, but doesn't Van have, like no employement opportunities?

I've heard it was workig at a call centre or you're unemployed.

The call centres are reserved for minorities over the age of 40. Can you make coffee? There's always coffee houses hiring.

Edmonton has the biggest mall in the universe, and we all know that malls are the best invention ever.

On a serious note, I like Edmonton better than Calgary because I'm not a cowboy. Someone said what I said about big money at tim hortons already. Nevertheless I'm moving there to sell donuts to truckers.

Edited by The_Rat_Who_Would_be_King

what! you're crazy. Certain jobs maybe. It depends on what you're getting into. I've met some people who have moved to Totonto, Montreal etc b/c they've found a better job there. and people move from various cities across Canada to Vancouver for just the same reasons. Rent is the highest in all of Canada in Vancouver so that sucks, but whatever it's worth it. I love Vancouver a lot so maybe it's a little biased of me to tell this shit but I think it's really a great city. (plus van island is nice too)

Edited by sea.change