crazycanuck

Energy Drinks

Funny that you're all on about Red Bull with it's 80mg of caffeine when a standard cup of coffee has 200 mg of caffeine.

Your typical espresso has only 40 mg, but in a much more delectable, cultured and sophisticated package than anything else you'll find.

I'm not all on about Red Bull, in fact, I've never tried it. I'm just wondering why people think it gives you so much energy, when (as you said) something like coffee, gives you a lot more. Is there something in Red Bull that isn't in all the other energy drinks that have more mg of caffeine?

Apparently, the initial "rush" of energy after you drink red bull is pure placebo.

The Canadian Military did some experiments, and chewing gum with caffeine in it is a highly effective of delivering caffeine, as glands in your mouth deliver it to your body far faster than your stomach can.

However, the caffeine in Red Bull does give you energy. The formula was happened upon by the founder of his company in Hong Kong, where taxi drivers would drink this stuff to keep them awake at all hours. He bought the rights to sell it in Europe and added carbonation to it. So it can definitely deliver energy... in a form more convenient than, say, coffee.

oh man it's awesome when that happens because you wreck stuff when you roll over on whoever you slept with because you're drunk and you forgot you were sharing your bed.

Even better than that though is when you wake up and whoever you fell asleep with is gone and you can't figure out where they went because you're drunk.

Jolt, or Jolt Gum.

Down here they don't sell Jolt Cola, but, at any Racetrack convinient store we can find Jolt Gum.

2 pieces = 1 cup of coffee but it doesn't even take that much to get me bouncing off the walls. Wiiiide awake. Works great. <3

My personal favourite is Sobe's "No Fear", it ranks alongside Monster and a bit under Rock Star for caffeine content, but it actually tastes DECENT, well, at least for energy drinks. Anyway, if you want to get bang for your buck, don't bother with Red Bull, it's purely hype. For a double serving which costs less than 2 Red Bull you can easily get a better tasting drink with more active chemicals than 2 cans of Red Bull. Just check out the ingredient lists on the back of the cans. The more caffeine the better, next is guarana, which is standardized to some percentage of caffeine (100mg guarana stnd. at 100% caffeine = 100mg caffeine. 50% = 50mg caffeine) and can be directly added to the caffeine content. Finally is the taurine, which helps digestion and increases bloodflow apparently increasing the efficency with which your body extracts and utilzes the caffeine. The taurine count in all energy drinks is pretty high.

Anyway, if you like energy drinks and don't have much money, check the ingredients to get as much as you can out of them. However, if you just want a good buzz, drink a bunch of good coffee, there's alot of sugar in energy drinks and carbonation isn't great for the body.