Disestabulistic

What Are You Reading?

There's a "what are you listening to", a "what are you eating" thread and several more. So why not "What are you reading?"

State the title, authour, what you think of it, what it's about, and whatever else you can think of to say about it!

I'm reading the Farthest Shore by Ursula LeGuin. I've read it before, but I was in the mood for it, and I'd forgotten some of the details.

It's the third book in the Earthsea series, and is quite good. I'd reccomend it to anyone who likes well written fantasy literature, and sailing.

i'm half-assedly re-reading catcher in the rye. i still think it's brilliant, if not overrated. holden reminds me of a few people i've known over the years... reminds me of myself a little, too. my favorite part is the ending. that last line always gets to me.

I keep meaning to read that, and then fogeting every tome i'm on the library web site ordering books.

Edit: see if you can spot the typo/pun

Edited by Disestabulistic

fogetting.

I'll read Catcher in the Rye, watch me jack off! (i liked the book a lot.)

I'm reading two books at the moment.

Tom Robbins Still Life With Woodpecker. It's like he wrote a manifesto and then constructed a sort-of lovestory to prove all of his points. It's amazing.

"When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will be free"

I'm also reading Micheal Moore's Dude, Where's My Country. Basically about all of the hidden bullshit that goes on in America. It's so sad, what a state this world is in.

"Leave no billionaire behind!"

I got the new issue of Maxim yesterday. Oh yeah!

After neglecting it for months I finally finished Crime and Punishment. I still have to read the epilogue, but I finished the story. I'd have to say I liked for the most part. I think some of my problems with it come from the translation and the fact that it was written in 1866. It's also very difficult for me, a North American of British decent, to wrap my head around the Russian naming system. Each character has like 20 names, which adds to confusion. I can't decide if the book is a lot of suspense with no pay off, or a lot of really well written nothingness with a few tense parts and a well rounded but quick conclusion.

For the next week or so I will be reading nothing but textbooks. Then I have to try and read two other books I've been meaning to read before Christmas comes, because I have a feeling I'm going to get a lot of books.

CCNA 1 and 2 by Cisco networking academy, boring as hell, but it at least puts me to sleep. but for enjoyment, bathroom readers are always good, and "how to be canadian (even if your already one) by Will Ferguson, very funny

Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levy for a class.

But I have The Red Tent by Anita Diamant for a plane trip, and I just finished Down to This: Spledour and Squalor in a Big City Shanty Town by Shaunessey Bishop-Stall. Its about Toronto's Tent City, and it was amazing.

Other then textbooks for studying im currently reading three books, ( in the middle of all three), Only a Beginning an Anarchist Anthology by Allan Antliff, American Power: The New Mandarins- Chomsky and finishing up Howard Zinn's A people's history of the united states.

I remember reading "survival in auschwitz." a hard book, just because it was hard to get everything done. didn't hurt that an old teacher kept demanding we acknowledge why Levi hated himself.

anywho, because it's always fun:

"Scott Pilgrim vol 1 and 2" by Bryan Lee O'Malley

technically not a book, but a kick-ass graphic novel. story follows Scott Pilgrim as he falls in love with a Amazon.ca delivery girl, and then fights her league of evil ex-boyfriends while trying to deal with a 16-year old girl who's crushing a bit too hard on him--and is still working on her martial arts/hipster cred.

...and from which i freely steal avatars.

i'm half-assedly re-reading catcher in the rye. i still think it's brilliant, if not overrated. holden reminds me of a few people i've known over the years... reminds me of myself a little, too. my favorite part is the ending. that last line always gets to me.

My ex-girlfriend recommended that one for me to read and I've never finished a book quicker. It was great too. Even while reading it my first time through, I could tell it was one that'd be re-read eventually.

Right now, I'm reading Harry Potter 4... It was supposed to be an "in-betweener"; a brainbreak from other books I've been reading lately.

But it's taking me forever because of all the schoolwork that's crept up in the past few weeks.

My ex-girlfriend recommended that one for me to read and I've never finished a book quicker. It was great too. Even while reading it my first time through, I could tell it was one that'd be re-read eventually.

i'm glad we didn't read it in school; that usually kills a book for me. all that over analyzing.

although delong did manage to make a few book interesting, regardless of the over-analyzing.

;)

;)

School-reading really does ruin a book. The only two that I really didn't have ruined for me were The Mountain and the Valley (I think that's what it was called) and Hamlet. But I've loved Hamlet since the first time I read it, so there's not much that could change that.

It took graduating to realize that Delong's a pretty effective teacher.

I was reading Twelve Red Herrings by Jeffrey Archer. It's a book of short stories, and not too bad, but it seems I have the opposite of ADD, and get bored when the story doesn't develop into anything significant. So I just started reading The Broker by John Grisham. It's light reading, but interesting so far. His books seem the same after awhile though, especially considering I've read all of them.