Sim

Do You Think Matthew Good Is Underrated?

Is Matt Good underrated? (Post comment)  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Is Matt Good underrated? (Post comment)

• Yes, because he (almost) don't play in the US
    • Yes, because he had a bad reputation in the past
    • Yes, because radio/video don't play him enough
    • Yes, because radio release haren't his best song
    • Yes, other (post)
    • No, Matt is as popular as it should be

When i talk about Matt Good people are always like "huh?... who?"

I think radio (well, here in quebec) don't play him enough (or at all). A friend told me he heard "Alert Status Red" once on radio...

I've seen the last show (in montreal) and i must say it was the best Matt Good show and the best show ever i had ever seen, but the place was about half-full... i guess part because of the lack of publicity or people just don't like "greatest hits" cd...

I guess you guys in BC are having quite a bunch of interview / song on radio / tv show.... and so on... but here in quebec it's almost nothing. ;)

I believe that Matt Good is underrated because his music doesn't blow you away the first time you listen to it. Everything has to be catchy nowadays to get anyones attention, but for me that also means it becomes boring quickly. I think that his music is the kind that you like more everytime you listen to it. So what im trying to say is it is not so great at first, so most people ignore it, but if you actually give it the light of day, then you begin to realize what great music it really is.

Not enough people know who he is or the majority of his music.

His best songs (in my opinion) have never been released.

Imagine him releasing a CD with these songs on it : Advertising on police cars, Tripoli, Running for home, suburbia, avalanche, born to kill, Blue skies over bad lands, Change of season, Life beyond the minimum safe distance, House of smoke and mirrors, while we were hunting rabbits, the rat who would be king, prime time deliverance, and Sort of a protest song. He could make every one of those songs singles everywhere and do very well with all of them. Then tour eveywhere and he'd be a huge well-known artist over the whole world.

If he were to market to a larger audience he would be huge but that's not who he is. He's not just trying to be an incredibly rich superstar, he's making art.

When I saw him with my aunt and uncle this year they were really suprised. They kept saying that he should at the very least be just as popular as Tragically Hip, and that's only in the canadaian market. I've always thought he was underrated because the majority of people only know the singles, which compared to the rest of an album, they tend to just be throw away songs. I also don't think it really matters. He was big enough that I think Universal wants to be hanging on to him for a little while, and I doubt he cares since he's always wanted to do things that the majority of people won't like.

i think it's sad and also utterly amazing that few people in the us know who he is but everyone knows who nickelback is. it's just astounding. i don't know if that means he is underrated or not, though. i'm thinking that in canada he probably isn't.

as far as i can tell, matt good is underrated, but in a strange way. most people know he's a good musician, but don't bother listenning to him. whether its the same old "but he's an asshole" excuse or the "well he didn't go to the junos, what a dick" line, people tend to avoid his music like the plague. i haven't the foggiest notion why.

my friend kris always liked to bash matthew good's music. and then i burned him a CD. here's the tracklisting:

1. Matthew Good - Dusk (3:12)

2. Matthew Good - 21st century living (3:10)

3. Matthew Good - Suburbia (5:26)

4. Matthew Good - Alabama Motel Room (3:24)

5. Matthew Good - Born To Kill (5:42)

6. Matthew Good - Agoraphobe (2:43)

7. Matthew Good - Deep Six (3:31)

8. Matthew Good - I, The Throw Away (3:09)

9. Matthew Good - Let's Get It On (4:16)

10. Matthew Good - Life Beyond The Minimum Safe Distance (3:53)

11. Matthew Good - Avalanche (7:26)

12. Matthew Good - North American For Life (Acoustic) (3:13)

13. Matthew Good - Blue Skies Over Badlands (8:14)

14. Matthew Good - Poor Man's Grey (2:22)

15. Matthew Good - Near Fantastica (acoustic) (5:02)

16. Matthew Good - Raygun (3:18)

17. Matthew Good - Sort of a Protest Song (6:33)

18. Matthew Good - Generation X-Wing (Acoustic) (3:55)

after i gave him the CD, he listenned to it for about a week and then apologized for ever making fun of matt good's music. it seems that at least in this case, people don't realize that matt good's music is undeniably smart and well written.

too many people judge what he's done by the singles and it really isn't fair, especially since he didn't pick what the singles were.

People always ask me "What bands do you like?"

I answer, and they get a blank look in their eyes, yet still nod as if they've heard of them.

Most "listeners of music" that I know don't even have their own tastes or preferences, much less good ones. If Matthew Good gained a massive hit, people would claim to be his biggest fans no matter what he sounded like.

I recently lent Beautiful Midnight to a friend, and After a week, he gave it back and told me that he had had it in a constant loop all week. There is still hope!

When you say Matthew Good in Canada, most people will know who he is or not?

I would say yes. Every music fan generally knows who he is, especially with the MGB. They would be like "Matthew Good? Hello Time Bomb was pretty cool". But even with that, they wouldn't really know that much more since of the problem with Active Rock stations. Ask that questions five years ago and people would be able to name all of his singles off Underdogs/BM. But with Active Rock radio stations (examples in my area include Y108 Hamilton, HTZ-FM St. Catherines, and FM96 London), only the most accessible songs are played for the current demographic--not necessarily his most popular songs-- and the new wave of generation y-kids would be pretty clueless with the band as a whole.

Also, I have never heard a Canadian in my life mix up Matthew Good with Dave Matthews. Ever.

Edited by Shortcut To Moncton

Also, I have never heard a Canadian in my life mix up Matthew Good with Dave Matthews. Ever.

yea, I haven't either. I guess it's b/c they both have 'Matthew' in their names. You couldn't mistake them for music though b/c they sound nothing alike.

Edited by sea.change

I would say yes. Every music fan generally knows who he is, especially with the MGB. They would be like "Matthew Good? Hello Time Bomb was pretty cool". But even with that, they wouldn't really know that much more since of the problem with Active Rock stations. Ask that questions five years ago and people would be able to name all of his singles off Underdogs/BM. But with Active Rock radio stations (examples in my area include Y108 Hamilton, HTZ-FM St. Catherines, and FM96 London), only the most accessible songs are played for the current demographic--not necessarily his most popular songs-- and the new wave of generation y-kids would be pretty clueless with the band as a whole.

I knew someone who got the two mixed up. When Matt came to Windsor in 2001, there were a bunch of people who thought it was going to be Dave Matthews. It made be laugh.

I knew someone who got the two mixed up. When Matt came to Windsor in 2001, there were a bunch of people who thought it was going to be Dave Matthews. It made be laugh.

Well Windsor is practically Detroit.