garsk

Ontario Denies New Drivers

Yah i just read that also, i think its fucken stupid. Way to limit our civil liberties summore! I understand that high school is extremely important and really everyone should do it, but it shouldn't stop you from other unrelated aspects of your life.

Edited by supercanuk

They're not denying them their driver's licence if they didn't finish high school, they're denying them they're licence if they're under 18 and not in school.

Other than that, this idea is complete and utter bullshit. I see it as unfairly restricting freedom of movement within the country without fair cause for it.

I also heard that they're considering judicial orders and possibly fines for truant high school students under 18. Absolutely ridiculous.

i think it would be very stupid for the government to impliment the law that you have to be 18 to graduate.

i wont be 18 when i graduate.

fuck them.

also, people drop out for other reasons than just laziness or don't want to put up with it. i think it's important for the government to acknowledge that.

ALSO there's clearly flaws in the education system if you have to scare people into staying at school for the expected time. perhaps that should start with fixing those.

Edited by megin-sane

They're not denying them their driver's licence if they didn't finish high school, they're denying them they're licence if they're under 18 and not in school.

That's what I said. They're still denying them their licence if they are under 18 and not in school, i was under 18 and had my licence and had friends who dropped out and started working because their parents kicked them out of the house. So what will they do with those kids? refuse them their licence because their out of school and their parents kicked them out and now they need to get their licence to get a job find work and drive to said work place? Again, like i said, denying us our civil liberities unjustly.

That's bullshit. A very good of friend of mine turned 18 this year and in university. She skipped a year ahead due to being uber smart.

I'll be turning 18 in my second year of university because my birthday is in december.

To be fair, though, if this law passes, it wouldn't force people in situations like your friend (I personally know two people that skipped ahead a grade) to stay in high school because they will have graduated.

Although now that I think about it, it does seem to put people who skipped ahead a grade at a disadvantage. Although this will be unlikely, anybody who entered school a year early or skipped a grade somewhere will be forced to stay in school a year longer under this new law.

I could, theoretically, be forced to stay in school an extra year because my birthday is at the end of the year, compared to someone whose birthday is at the beginning of the year. Yarr.

That's what I really don't like about being born later in the year... you're legally not an adult, even though you're essentially the same age as someone who was born a few months before you.

Quite weird.

Fun fact: What about motorcycles? They can still ride motorcycles. That'll be awesome. A whole generation of highschool dropouts driving motorcycles around.

This might be our future utopia: http://intensified.ca/adidasroadtolisbon.mov

ahaha i love it. thousands of dropouts riding the roads on motorcycles. awesome.

Anyways, why exactly are they doing this? Is there a large crisis in the # of kids who dropout of school? I think i remember reading a report about that awhile back.

Apparently, there is. Although I do remember considerable discrepancy on the recording of that data (i.e. students who transfer out of one board and into another in the middle of high school may not be recording as graduating, while sometimes students who transferred between schools within the same board, like me, weren't recorded as having graduated).

Either way, denying dropouts licences (while still having exemptions for "family situations") is simply the wrong way to go about reducing dropout rates. Investing in the curriculum would not only be far more effective, but make all of school better for the rest of us who stick around for our sheepskin.

She's saying that since they're learning to and able to drive a car without having graduated high school, what difference does it make if we let them continue driving even if they're not graduating?

Although that argument is flawed, because once someone turns 18, they're not being denied their driver's license anymore.

Oh god, i feel stupid. I saw this thread from out in the main bored or whatever yoiu call it, and i clicked it, and i got Guitarchicks post, which was the most recent, and since it was at the top, i thought she started the topic, i didn't even know there was a first page.

I read it, and wow, i can't belive that's happening. I am not sure if i agree with it, but i think people should graduate high school, for their own good. I can't name a job worth having, that is open to the average dropout.