Prometheon

Does Anyone Else Hate Specificity In Music?

I dunno if I'm just weird, but when the material of a song gets too specific, it just kind of ruins the song for me. Examples are individual dates, names, or numbers.

Like, in Sort of a Protest he talks about how he can't remember 1989. Why 1989? Why not any other year? I just don't get it.

And the BNL song Jane, why write it about Jane? who the hell is Jane? I don't know anyone named Jane and can't relate the song to anything.

A final example is the Bush song "40 Miles from the Sun." Why 40 Miles? It's jsut an arbitrary number and it bugs me.

All the songs I listed I love a lot, but I dunno. Am I just crazy or does this bug anyone else too?

I don't like when certain songs mention things like a telephone, or blender. It's different if they were doing it metaphorically, but take that Billy Talent song. When he uses the word telephone I had a lot of trouble taking them seriously at all. As for 1989, it makes sense when you relate it to the artist, and maybe Jane does too. But I can see the 40 miles thing causing me to have a double take and just question everything about the song because of it. But you're still crazy about general specificty, how else are you going to say anything?

I dunno, when I listen to music or read a poem or something I just generally think of it in broad, big-picture, sweeping-message terms, and it's these little mentions of specificity that make the whole song kind of 'zoom in' onto that particular detail.

Another good example is in We're So Heavy. Who the hell are Jove and Drusilla? I know they're from roman mythology or something, but does anyone know what the actual story was behind/between them?

Edited by Prometheon

i don't mind specificititiy (sp? lmao), as long as it doesn't involve specific names, like celebrities. i think that's super tacky when musicians bring their spats into their lyrics...

but sort of a protest song; i love that 1989 bit, because i was alive at that point and i can't remember anything either. maybe i'm like, the reincarnation of matt.

Yeah, but the audiance doesn't always know the artist's personal spats, so I think we lose a bit in the translation.

Which reminds me of my most important point. The BEST example is North American For Life. An awesome song, and I like it. But "George is teachin the kids to fight"? What's gonna happen when George W isn't president anymore? The song will have lost so much relevance. If you picked up WLRRR 20 years from now to show your kids they'd be like "who the ghell is George?"

Also, yeah. BNL said it was basd on a time they were looking at a road map and thought that corner of Jane and St Clare Ave sounded like the prettiest intersection in the world (it's not.) SO that's why they used that as the name of this character in that song.

I don't much remember last year, so maybe in a few years I'll hear Matt sing the same thing about 1989 and I'll be able to really relate to it and get what he's singing about. For me it works, and it only helps to know the back story behind it. And I seriously hope that in 20 years people will still understand the George reference. If anything it may be a better reference down the road because we'll have hindsight to back it up.

I don't think the listener has to understand exactly what the writer meant when he wrote the song, I think music is all about personal interpetation, all art is really about that to me. You listen to a song, you have your own meaning to it and that what makes it special. Sometimes knowing the real meaning behind a song only ruins it.

sometimes i feel that way about songs with people's names.

i realise its all about the writer, but i think it makes it a little impersonal for the listener.

years not so much, and i love the 1989 reference because thats the year when i was born.

so when it doesnt apply its kind of crappy, but when it does its pretty cool.

I enjoy specitficity, its what keeps the song apart from everything else out there. In fact, I hate generalisms in music. Especially the over-use of "this" in reference to the situation. If you ever have it on shitty rock radio and Three Doors Down comes on, he uses that all the time.

Specificity is like adding Easter eggs to the songs, like in "Sweet Home Alabama" and the lines about Neil Young, which would lead you to Young's "Southern Man" and "Alabama".

I enjoy specitficity, its what keeps the song apart from everything else out there. In fact, I hate generalisms in music. Especially the over-use of "this" in reference to the situation. If you ever have it on shitty rock radio and Three Doors Down comes on, he uses that all the time.

I agree.

8c8h8r8a8c8h8t8e8r8s8

I enjoy specitficity, its what keeps the song apart from everything else out there.  In fact, I hate generalisms in music.  Especially the over-use of "this" in reference to the situation.  If you ever have it on shitty rock radio and Three Doors Down comes on, he uses that all the time.

I agree.

8c8h8r8a8c8h8t8e8r8s8

i third the motion