wedge_oli

Matthew Good and politics

I read a recent review talking about how Wlrrr was less political then some of MGs older work, and that got me thinking:

Matt Good has a very definite political opinion and point of view, that much is obvious from a simple glance at his blog. Does that same political view show up often in his music?

Lots of bands are un-doubtedly branded as "political bands", Propagandhi, U2(Sunday bloody sunday), the Clash(Police and thieves), and basically any respectable punk band should be considered political to some extent.

Howether, I would hesitate to describe the politics in MG's music in the same vein as the above bands (except maybe, 21st century living, but even thats debatable).So many of his songs seem to be designed to have double meanings, both political and personal.

So I was wondering what you guys thought were some of MG's most politically poignant lyrics or songs?

-oliver-

hi, wedge oil... there is a post here called "Alert status red" where many of our opinions on politics in Matt's songs have been discussed ;) check it out and you will read what most of us think about it...

welcome to the forum! :angry:

i suppose it's all perspective.

i could say rage against the machine isn't political (cha right)because thats not how i interpret their music.

and with matt, its different. everyone took in a world called catastrophe as a political song when it was about the breaking up of the band.

well, i would disagree with you... if you watch in a world called catastrophe's video, the images do have to do with politics... among many many shots, have a look at this one, for example... is this not political?

and the video is full of shots related to the US and the army and wars and all that...

post-2-1089756040.jpg

Edited by juanpe

I agree with what everyone is saying about the 'a world called catastrophe video', but just because a video is political doesn't mean that that is what the song was written about. I had always thought that the song was a politically influenced song but it very well could be about the band breaking up. Or both. I think that since Matt is a very politically conscious person it influences his writing, and his songs often end up being not just about the state of the world, but also about his own life and how he views the world.

No, not neccessarily. Think about the time it takes between when a song is written and the video is made for it. It could be years if its a song someone wrote and didn't record for awhile. The world changes, peoples ideas change and grow. Someone could write a song about something happening in their life and then when it comes time to make the video they might want to make it a more broad statement about the world. My sister wrote a song years ago called "Into Destruction". This was before the current political mess the world is in, but see how it could relate to the world now? Even though she had no idea at the time. What I'm trying to say is that sometimes I think videos can go in a different direction then what the song is saying because songs can be interpreted many ways, even by the artist, and a music video is an effective visual tool to get a message across.

I never really liked Matts whole new political undertaking. To put it as simply as possible, I liked the old Matt better. I know that some of his music in the past has made political references, but I think it's out of hand now. Don't get me wrong, I am a well read person when I comes to matters such as this Iraq War, and 9/11, but I listen to Matts music to get away from the world.(Because the world depresses me).

I never really liked most of the songs on Wlr&rr. It didn't stop me from buying it though. I'm still a huge Matthew Good fan.

I'm sorry for wasteing your time, and I'm sorry If I made anyone mad.

Edited by Mr. Chips

Can't be mad at you man, there are a lot of people out there that prefer the MGB days. Personally i like the new Matt, but i can see why you might like his old style. They are completely different, and they were extremely popular back then too. It is totally understandable because he was... lets say... more "fun" back then.

enough said.

Matt's music has always been somewhat political, only now it plays a bigger role. In Last of the G.A., there are a few politically oriented tracks, or at least some reference. BM is probably his least political CD. I like his new style, even if WLRRR is not my favourite CD right now. It's good to see his music evolve and not see him in the same place as a few years ago. You can tell that he's older, both lyrically and in his singing. I love that his music is a reflection of himself, so if politics is what he wants to write about, then it's alright by me.

clayton, nobody should be mad at you for saying that or for expressing your opinion... that is exactly what is great of this forum, everybody can express his/her opinion with total freedom and not fearing to be "insulted" or laughed at, or something like that...

i do also listen to MG (and other bands) sometimes to get away from this world, to escape from all the problems i personally may have or world problems... but i think we cannot avoid that an artist expresses his opinion on his music, the same way that a painter expresses on his/her paintings his impressions, or a writer expresses his experiences and what he/she has around in his writings...

i'm not a musician, i'm just a poem writer (amateur, of course) and i express what is inside me, what worries me, what impresses me, the feelings i have inside... and most of the times, those writings express what i have around and the things that make me think the way i do...

don't know if i expressed it correctly, i think i got a bit of a mess in my mind ;)

Its strange for me to hear people say that they listen to Matt's music to get away from the world, or at least his old music. Its just that its hard for me to relate to that because I'm the opposite. The music that I listen to doesn't help me to forget my problems, it actually encourages me to think about them. I find this helpful though because it helps me to put things into perspective and also often it inspires me to do something constructive about my own feelings (like write my own song). I just thought I'd give a different perspective on all this.

i agree with you, Larissa... but there are many people who play some music - and it may perfectly be MG music - just to forget ordinary things and problems... i dont do it with MG's music but i do it with many more bands: i try to escape from daily routine and problems listening to some sorta music