Matt

"stronach's U.s.-based Canadaville Ready For..."

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/200...nach051216.html

Stronach's U.S.-based Canadaville ready for business

Last Updated Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:40:19 EST

CBC News

A tiny taste of Canada will come to life in the heart of Louisiana's bayou when a controversial housing project built by a Canadian billionaire for victims of hurricane Katrina officially opens on Saturday.

Each with tiny yards and covered porches, brand new mobile homes sit in neat rows in auto-parts giant Frank Stronach's Canadaville.

The Magna International chairman decided to build the community after seeing hurricane victims in the flooded streets of New Orleans in August.

Stronach, who will attend the opening ceremonies, first flew dozens of people to Florida to live in his posh horse-training facility.

He then built them homes

Canadaville is a horrible name. I don't get why they would even call it that as a joke. And it is a little PR heavy, but it's kind of like someone travelling back in time and stopping the destriction of the WTC but only doing it to look good. Either way you help a lot of people and it doesn't really matter what your intentions are since they are outshadowed by the actual actions.

call me cynical, but i really doubt he did it as a nice gesture... i think he most likely did it for the $$ and publicity.

but hey, sometimes the end justifies the motives, right?

edit: and wow! calling it 'canadaville' really dates him. he definitely should've consulted some hip, young PR guy to come up with a better name.

Edited by manfromharoldwood

yeah, but i mean if he's opening a farm for these people he's definitely a business man, and if he operates it correctly the farm could run for like, years upon years. what's 5 years of deficit compared to 20 of profit?

even if the people don't stick around, the farm will still exist and he'll still be getting new employees. so not only does he get good publicity for opening it in the first place, he gets some extra money in his pocket in the end.

So, just because he's rich he's not allowed to do a nice gesture? These people lost everything, so he's just giving a little something back.

there's a difference between helping families out and moving them into a trailerpark called "Canadaville" and forcing them to work on your farm.

I don't think there's any forced labour going on here.

But having read the story again... I think there's a bit of credibility towards the PR/profit argument.

Either way, providing jobs for these people so they can earn a livelihood is a lot better than just dumping them in a house and expecting them to find a job on their own.

What's happening is he's giving them five years free rent and if they cannot find employment in the area he will offer them a job at an organic farm he is planning on opening. Remember the residents are not happy about jobless people coming the their area. He is also helping the residents have more infrastructure and police officers in their town to support the increased population.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/200...ille051217.html

Canadaville opens in flood-ravaged Louisiana

Last Updated Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:21:51 EST

CBC News

The newest housing project for victims of Hurricane Katrina opened on Saturday.

It's called Canadaville and the man behind it is Frank Stronach, chairman of auto parts maker, Magna International, who put up $10 million of his own money for the project.

Canadaville is located about 100 kilometres from Baton Rouge. Built on about 325 hectacres of land, the mobile homes feature front and back porches, landscaping, a community centre and basketball courts are in the works.

Some of the land will be set aside for organic farming.

"We want to show the world that no matter where you're born, no matter how poor you are, that you can succeed in life," Stronach told a group that had gathered to celebrate the opening.

Those will live in the community will do so rent-free for the first five years.

Initially, Canadaville will house 110 people, but eventually it could grow to 300.

Since the articles didn't mention it, Frank Stronach was, at one time, dirt poor. I saw a brief interview with him on TV and he mentioned that once you've lived life without having enough money for food the next day, you never forget it.

To be honest, I don't care if this is purely PR and profit motivated... he's doing something good for a bunch of people who need it.