Monochrome Rainbow

Mg Covers

You guys have probably heard these already but whatever, some people might not have.

Covers

It's some German people. Mostly acoustic. One girl, two guys from what I can tell. Some is decent.

Edit: I forgot to mention you click on Goodbanding (lame ass group or performance or whatever the fuck it is, I know). It's easy to navigate from there.

Edit #2: Just listened to HTB. With stronger vocals and a better mix this would be decent, I think. It's interesting anyway.

Edited by Monochrome Rainbow

Oh my God...Suburbia is a blaspheme

Fated: the singer would sound a little like Holly McNarland if she didn't have an accent. But I like that one

Rorschach is aweful

So Long Mrs.Smith is not bad

going all the way is aweful (and someone should tell him it's "the kids are flat" and not "the kids are flying"

Hello Time Bomb is decent without his voice (I think that's what's bugging me)

Music on Haven't slept in Years is OK

Load me Up?

Edited by Prosis

hahaha this is awesome. Do these fellows take themselves seriously?

With more practice, Hello Time Bomb would be a good instrumental track. It sounds like the don't know the song. I really like the chorus, minus vocals.

I really like what they did with fated, but again, minus vocals.

This stuff is pretty funny to listen to in an ethnocentric sort of way. A lot of it's not bad, and even mroe of it is horrible. Listening to covers like this really reminds me just how good Matt Good is, because even though a lot of the elements of these songs are horrible, they are still noticably good songs.

This stuff is pretty funny to listen to in an ethnocentric sort of way. A lot of it's not bad, and even mroe of it is horrible. Listening to covers like this really reminds me just how good Matt Good is, because even though a lot of the elements of these songs are horrible, they are still noticably good songs.

True, but what (if anything) does that have to do with being ethnocentric?

I have to agree, it's giving me a good giggle.

My first impressions of the songs:

Fated is actually quite nice.

Oh my God Load Me Up is fucked up. Though I did kinda like what they were doing with piano for that split second.

Haven't Slept in Years is decent but unspectacular. I actually enjoyed some of the singing on it.

So Long Mrs Smith is....average as well. Much worse than the original.

Hello Timebomb is...weird. The riff is in a different pitch it seems and the diction is kinda butchered. Ironcally, this guy makes the chorus ambiguous as well. I swear you can hear him say "dirty enough like hot meatloaf" if you try hard enough.

Also, I'm in a band and we may do some Matt Good covers. Would anyone here be interested in hearing them? (they probably won't be done for several weeks or months as we're all busy, but it's a cool little side project for me. So far we have a really sick cover of Everything is Automatic that we just need to record.)

Edited by Prometheon

This stuff is pretty funny to listen to in an ethnocentric sort of way.  A lot of it's not bad, and even mroe of it is horrible.  Listening to covers like this really reminds me just how good Matt Good is, because even though a lot of the elements of these songs are horrible, they are still noticably good songs.

True, but what (if anything) does that have to do with being ethnocentric?

Well, I doubt I'm using it properly in its traditional sense. That's jsut the was I was tought to use it in some class I once had. What I mean is that I find it funny because I'm North American, and they are not, therefor I am superior and they are humourous to me because of their inferiority. I don't actually think that, but part of me finds it funny because, well because sometimes foreign things come off as funny. But in a nice way. It has little to do with ethnicity, but I'm pretty sure it's still a valid use of the word. If not, I'm sorry, blame teachers.

so what is the deal with the band doing matt good covers????

heres a translation as best as babelfish gives.

"I invested much time into the study of the music of my favourite artist Matthew Good from Canada. Since 2002 I am about regular to after-pass on its pieces. (???) Since I cannot exceed the original anyway, I have to near-happen decided as creatively as only possible to the thing. Came out a wild style mixture, between depressive sounds and most absurd Comedy."

so...what i can assume is that the horrible covers are SUPPOSED to be that bad.

so what is the deal with the band doing matt good covers????

heres a translation as best as babelfish gives.

"I invested much time into the study of the music of my favourite artist Matthew Good from Canada. Since 2002 I am about regular to after-pass on its pieces. (???) Since I cannot exceed the original anyway, I have to near-happen decided as creatively as only possible to the thing. Came out a wild style mixture, between depressive sounds and most absurd Comedy."

so...what i can assume is that the horrible covers are SUPPOSED to be that bad.

There's two types of covers:

1) The covering band tries to sound like the original band and fail horribly since they're NOT the original band.

2) The covering band records the music with a unique and personal twist.

These folks are obviously the second, as are most good (not a pun, I swear!) covers.

As for why they're doing MG covers...why not? They obviously like him.

I like the harmonica, but the rest of the song....meh, it just seems painfully average and the sound/instrument quality is severely lacking. Sounds like you used a shitty tape recorder in a basement, but all in all, it's not bad. I really like the ending.

On another note, with the Haven't Slept in Years cover, does anyone else hear someone having sex in the background? Some guy is squealing about "reena, REENA!" or something. It's weird.

Edit: Getting more in depth, during the first verse, your drummer's use of cymbal bells is atrocious. It just sounds like garbage. Get him to play it quiter or not at all. A simple high hat strike would probably work better than the ride or whatever it is he's using.

The more I listen to this, the more I like it though. The harmonica is chillin

Edited by Prometheon

Thanks for the reply. ;)

The reason it sounds bad is because our microphone situation is severely lacking. Not that good microphones = good recording but it helps. That also has to do with the cymbals not sounding good as we never really mixed it properly, or maybe forgot to properly level that track--and yeah, it is the ride he's using.

I love the harmonica too, it's my favorite part.

Edited by Gallick