sodamntired

Merry Christmas Or Happy Holidays?

What Do You Say More  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What Do You Say More

• Merry Christmas
    • Happy Holidays
    • It Doesn't Matter

I don't see what the big deal is. I celebrate Christmas, therefore if I wish somebody a 'Merry Christmas' I'm not forcing my beliefs (not that I'm religous in anyway) on them, but instead conveying the spirit of the season. I'm not Jewish, but I wouldn't get offended if somebody wished me a Happy Hnaukah(sp?). It's the spirit that the salutation is offered in.

It really shouldn't matter, but I say happy holidays when I can just because I live in constant fear of making people feel awkward. Two of my best friends growing up only half celebrated Christmas and half celebrated one of those other fake ones, so I guess I'm just sensative to it. Also where I'm from there's a lot of people who aren't white anglo-saxon protestants, so you can never be too careful. But as for 'Jesus being the reason for the season', my uncle wore that on a pin one year and made his son wear it too. That's so wrong in so many ways that I like to ignore the Christ part of Christmas out of spite.

I actually like to celebrate Saturnalia.

Saturnalia was actually a Roman holiday which occurred the same time as our modern Christmas... but lasted for two weeks or something like that. That's why the Romans were far superior to us. Orgies were a matter of public policies, and two week long holidays dedicated to Saturn. Happy Saturnalia!

kwanza isn't a religious celebration.

You're missing the point, cracka. Kwanza is still a week-long winter celbration. Therefore, if we were to celebrate Kwanzaa, i would wish you to have a Happy Kwanzaa.

I usually say either, Happy Holidays more than Merry Christmas.

I actually like to celebrate Saturnalia.

Saturnalia was actually a Roman holiday which occurred the same time as our modern Christmas... but lasted for two weeks or something like that.  That's why the Romans were far superior to us.  Orgies were a matter of public policies, and two week long holidays dedicated to Saturn.  Happy Saturnalia!

So you have celebrate by having public orgies? XD ROCK!

Edited by Pixie-elf

This is all a bunch or crap. Do you think if you moved to any other country in the world besides Canada or the United States that this would even be an issue??? No it wouldn't. Holiday tree my ass!! It's a freakin CHRISTMAS TREE PEOPLE. That is what it has been called up until now and that's what it should always be called. How far is this going to go. Where do we draw the line??? Are we going to have to take the holiday names off all of the calendars next and just label everyone of them as just "holiday". I could go ahead and say that I am offended that they call the building down the street a sikh temple. I think they should be PC and just call it a building. If you want to come and live in this country accept the way things are. That is exactly what we would have to do if we went to live in your country.

This is all a bunch or crap. Do you think if you moved to any other country in the world besides Canada or the United States that this would even be an issue??? No it wouldn't. Holiday tree my ass!! It's a freakin CHRISTMAS TREE PEOPLE. That is what it has been called up until now and that's what it should always be called. How far is this going to go. Where do we draw the line??? Are we going to have to take the holiday names off all of the calendars next and just label everyone of them as just "holiday". I could go ahead and say that I am offended that they call the building down the street a sikh temple. I think they should be PC and just call it a building. If you want to come and live in this country accept the way things are. That is exactly what we would have to do if we went to live in your country.

Bill O'Reilly posts here?

This is all a bunch or crap.  Do you think if you moved to any other country in the world besides Canada or the United States that this would even be an issue??? No it wouldn't. Holiday tree my ass!! It's a freakin CHRISTMAS TREE PEOPLE.  That is what it has been called up until now and that's what it should always be called.  How far is this going to go. Where do we draw the line???  Are we going to have to take the holiday names off all of the calendars next and just label everyone of them as just "holiday". I could go ahead and say that I am offended that they call the building down the street a sikh temple.  I think they should be PC and just call it a building.  If you want to come and live in this country accept the way things are.  That is exactly what we would have to do if we went to live in your country.

Cheer up emo kid. I don't think anyone actually cares, aside from you.

EDIT: haha i didn't see the second page, nice one, Canuck..

Edited by Dan #2

This is all a bunch or crap.  Do you think if you moved to any other country in the world besides Canada or the United States that this would even be an issue??? No it wouldn't. Holiday tree my ass!! It's a freakin CHRISTMAS TREE PEOPLE.  That is what it has been called up until now and that's what it should always be called.  How far is this going to go. Where do we draw the line???  Are we going to have to take the holiday names off all of the calendars next and just label everyone of them as just "holiday". I could go ahead and say that I am offended that they call the building down the street a sikh temple.  I think they should be PC and just call it a building.  If you want to come and live in this country accept the way things are.  That is exactly what we would have to do if we went to live in your country.

Actually let's be accurate here friend, its a Yule tree, the pagan worshipping Germanic colonies back when Rome was kicking ass celebrated Yule which is basically the winter solstice. They are the ones who used the tree decorating and started the wreath use. The Romans allowed them to continue their tradition and it was adopted into the Christian faith when Rome made itself a Christian nation of sorts. You want Merry Christmas decorate a crucifix. So damnit, it

Edited by supercanuk

Bill O'Reilly posts here?

Hahahaha.

It really doesn't matter at all to me. This holiday has been so many things over the millenia nobody (including Christians) really has any claim to it. Almost everything that constitutes Christmas now (the tree, presents, decorations et al) are Pagan celebrations that way predate Jesus. The Pagans had Yule (like supercanuk said), and the Romans had Saturnalia (like ecnarf said), then the Catholics came along and assimilated these ancient celebrations into their own religion to make it easier to convert people.

All it is now is a consumer holiday, with some family values and a splash of Paganism. Unless you go to church. But really, call it whatever you want, it really doesn't/shouldn't matter.

i really don't care. i'm not religious whatsoever, and i usually end up saying both merry christmas and happy holidays.

the christmas holdiay has totally detached itself from actually being about the birth of christ, so i don't understand why the religious right are so botherred by the renaming of things like the christmas tree, or wishing people a non-denominational holiday.

it certainly makes sense though why this isn't as much of a problem here in canada: we arent so fucking ethnocentric.

edit: props to yam for beating me to the punch.

Edited by borntohula

All it is now is a consumer holiday, with some family values and a splash of Paganism. Unless you go to church. But really, call it whatever you want, it really doesn't/shouldn't matter.

Apparently, the Bay is the official store of Christmas. I wonder what pagan tradition that came from? [insert joke about evil capitalists here]