Dan #2

Parental Advisory Stickers

I got a new copy of the Gym Class Heroes Papercut Chronicles for christmas, but this time, there's a huge PA sticker in the upper-right-hand corner. WTF mate?

Who hands out these things, and why would my first copy, which is about a year and a half old not have the sticker, while this one does?

This happened with Manson's Antichrist Superstar as well.

WTF mate, indeed.

Maybe it depends where you buy it?

That is a definite possibility, as i bought mine from an indie store, whereas the copy my sister bought was ordered through HMV, but i can't see a small label like FueledbyRamen printing off different booklets.

Who would request that an album is PA'ed?

How do you govern indie labels like that?

It's just that, to my knowledge, i have never seen an indie cd with a PA before.

And as I've noted in my PA stickers thread a while back, they're pretty inconsistent. Examples Modest Mouse in song "Black Cadillacs" : "we were done, done, done with all the fuck, fuck, fucking around." yet not PA sticker on the album. Rammstein in an interview on the Lichtspielhaus DVD: "It's no time for bullshit" and that gets a PA sticker for that alone.

And as I've noted in my PA stickers thread a while back, they're pretty inconsistent.  Examples Modest Mouse in song "Black Cadillacs" : "we were done, done, done with all the fuck, fuck, fucking around." yet not PA sticker on the album.  Rammstein in an interview on the Lichtspielhaus DVD: "It's no time for bullshit" and that gets a PA sticker for that alone.

I really need to start searching before i rant.

So the conclusion i'm coming to, is that these RIAA folks PA anything that they can get their hands on, that they deem obscene? Indie bands don't quite hit their radar, so are free of PA's?

The more i think about this, the more it makes sense. The first pressings of Manson's first albums are PA free, from before he was popular, and Cradle of Filth's first North American releases didn't have the sticker.

And i must agree that it is very inconsistent. Slipknot's Iowa has beautiful prose such as "I want to slit your throat and fuck the wound," and is free of a PA, whereas Story of the Year's Paige Avenue has one, and SotY at their most obscene is "Until the day i day, i'll spill my heart for you."

My Chemical Romance's latest is PA'd as well, i would guess for the one line "I'm not o-fucking-kay"?

And yeah, Glassjaw, that is quite possible. I never even considered that.

The Parental Advisory is a notice to consumers that recordings identified by this logo may contain strong language or depictions of violence, sex or substance abuse. Parental discretion is advised.

I found this site interesting.

Edited by Dan #2

And as I've noted in my PA stickers thread a while back, they're pretty inconsistent.  Examples Modest Mouse in song "Black Cadillacs" : "we were done, done, done with all the fuck, fuck, fucking around." yet not PA sticker on the album.  Rammstein in an interview on the Lichtspielhaus DVD: "It's no time for bullshit" and that gets a PA sticker for that alone.

I really need to start searching before i rant.

So the conclusion i'm coming to, is that these RIAA folks PA anything that they can get their hands on, that they deem obscene? Indie bands don't quite hit their radar, so are free of PA's?

The more i think about this, the more it makes sense. The first pressings of Manson's first albums are PA free, from before he was popular, and Cradle of Filth's first North American releases didn't have the sticker.

And i must agree that it is very inconsistent. Slipknot's Iowa has beautiful prose such as "I want to slit your throat and fuck the wound," and is free of a PA, whereas Story of the Year's Paige Avenue has one, and SotY at their most obscene is "Until the day i day, i'll spill my heart for you."

My Chemical Romance's latest is PA'd as well, i would guess for the one line "I'm not o-fucking-kay"?

And yeah, Glassjaw, that is quite possible. I never even considered that.

The Parental Advisory is a notice to consumers that recordings identified by this logo may contain strong language or depictions of violence, sex or substance abuse. Parental discretion is advised.

I found this site interesting.

I'm not sure it has all that much to do with popularity. To my knowledge, "Beautful Freak" by Eels was never popular but has the PA sticker (the word "fuck" appears in there twice). Modest Mouse's "Good News For People Who Love Bad News" was considerably more popular, but even Wal-Mart with its no "obscenity in music can be tolerated" outlook carried the CD without PA stickers or censorship.