Sim

Why "In A Coma" Resulted In Bad Sales?

Regarding last Matt post, why do you think "In a coma" was a decrease in sales?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding last Matt post, why do you think "In a coma" was a decrease in sales?

• Peoples are sick of "Greatest hits" album
    • Some songs were missing (Avalanche, Blue Skies, etc.)
    • Peoples didn't wanted to pay for stuff they already own
    • Lack of publicity / radio play
    • Others (Post)

Of course hardcore fan have bought it... but it's the regular fan market that fell short.

When i first listen to it (well the rooms cd), i tought to myself "Thanks Matt for this gift"... because it was simply this: a gift to all his hardcore fans that followed him trough the years. There was nothing commercial, nothing to be played on radio... simply pure music... Matt said he enjoyed recording it, recording music for what it really is... Music without any restriction (well there was time restriction in the studio though)

The problem is that "In a coma" was tagged as a "Greatest Hits" album instead of an accoustic/new stuff cd. Making it harder to sell since most people (part-time Matt Good listener) would say it's only reheated stuff... many could say it cost too much (even if really cheap for 2 cd and a dvd) for stuff they already own... and so on.

I think Matt should have done a complete new cd (with accoustic song, and the 2 or 3 new songs) and sell it as a whole new album instead. He could even have released a complete accoustic cd.

I think the "Greatest hits" thing have been used too much lately making it quite pointless (i think i heard someone say that Hilary Duff is having a greatest hits cd after two cd).

matt good has very many fans, but all these fans had all these songs already well only 2 new songs one of which is a single and already heard so it's one song not heard....the only reason why i bought it was because of the accoustic songs which is only 40 min of music for about $25 which is a lot to pay for a cd. so i bet a lot of people downloaded big city life and accostics for free without paying for a cd full of music they already own. eaither way isn't he coming out with a new cd in the spring time anyway?

I'll preface this by saying that I think In a Coma is the best Greatest Hits package I've ever seen.

Many packages, for example, leave desirable songs off, using the GH as a teaser to convince buyers to buy albums for the missing songs.

Having said that, some issues that might have affected sales:

1) The package was designed with fans in mind. Definitely not a flaw, but designing for fans limits the pool of potential buyers. Which goes along with:

2) The marketing of the album almost entirely focused on the deluxe edition, again, with fans in mind. It never really told Joe Average why he should pick up the album.

3) When GH's hit the top of the charts, it's usually because the artist is still attracting significant popular attention. (Read: Eminem, Britney Spears.) Matt's popular attention has declined in recent years, and a GH is a difficult way to jump-start it.

4) I cannot even begin to guess what I would cut for them to make the album, but leaving off "Carmelina" and "Anti-Pop" may have hurt sales. While the new songs and "Pony Boy" were welcome nods for the fans, if you're not already willing to check out new Good material (read: Avalanche, WLRRR), you're probably not going to pick up the GH. However, if you heard and liked either "Carmelina" and "Anti-Pop" but not enough to buy Audio of Being, you might have picked up the GH to have them in one place.

----

The poll selection is slightly skewed: leaving off "Avalanche" and "Blue Skies" helped sales. Fans already have those songs and had a million other reasons to buy the album. Non-fans don't know those songs, and wouldn't have bought the album for them.

Personally I thought a standard commercial featuring a montage of his music videos would have done wonders for the deluxe edition. The "In a Coma" title also doesn't highlight the fact that it is a greatest hits compilation (ignoring the cumbersome 1995-2005 part). From a marketing standpoint, Ponyboy would have probably been well-received as a single.

But then again I'm not a marketing major.

I think that Greatest Hits albums in their essence, aren't made for fans of a certain artist/band. They're made for casuaul listeners who want to get a taste of the artist. But recently artists have been pulling tricks such as adding a couple new songs or a bonus CD so there would be a reason for the fans to buy this CD that they majorly already own. Which is unfair and stupid to my opinion. That's why it didn't sell much.

i think anyone who wasnt already a fan wouldve turned into one had they simply bought the deluxe edition. unfortunately, anyone who isn't already a fan isn't going to spend that much money so casually.

also, like chris said, matt isnt exactly a very popular artist anymore. when was the last time yo saw him on much music?

all theat aside, in a coma is the best GH i've ever seen

all that aside, in a coma is the best GH i've ever seen

i agree

*i fixed your spelling in the quote

on matthew good's popularity though, i think it has a lot to do with singles. i have friends who don't like matthew good (band) [not GOOD friends. but acquaintances] and i play songs like "avalanche" and "my life as a circus clown" for them, and they LOVE it. "in a world called catastrophe" should never have been used to catapult record sales. not on a record like avalanche. no sir.

Edited by josiegross

it's an excellent package, and i'll admit i spent a fair amount of time listen/watching it, but if you're even the slightest fan of the tragically hip, then Hipeponymous will do it for you. the best of.. double cd set was chosen by fans on the hip website, the live dvd is amazing, and a fourth disc has a short film included on it, that kind of shows backstage features and what-not that i found quite interesting.

Edited by one_trick_pony

i think anyone who wasnt already a fan wouldve turned into one had they simply bought the deluxe edition.

This is true. I lent mine to my girlfriend and she's really getting into his music now.

Maybe a bit more agressive marketing featuring music from Rooms would get more people interested.

I live in the Lower Mainland, And I saw absolutely NO PR for this album at all. So I got up early on the day it was released and I took to the streets with chalk.

But I think that the lack of advertising may have had something to do with it. And the urban legend that BEST OF albums ruin stuff.

Plus, the influx of downloads is likely to hurt Canadian artists first.

all that aside, in a coma is the best GH i've ever seen

i agree

*i fixed your spelling in the quote

on matthew good's popularity though, i think it has a lot to do with singles. i have friends who don't like matthew good (band) [not GOOD friends. but acquaintances] and i play songs like "avalanche" and "my life as a circus clown" for them, and they LOVE it. "in a world called catastrophe" should never have been used to catapult record sales. not on a record like avalanche. no sir.

i agree with you completely about marketing IAWCC as a single

...even if not choosing avalanche (the song) (cause it's so long), but rather songs like double life or song for the girl. they would've made perfect singles to catch people's attention

p.s. thanks for the correction

I live in the Lower Mainland, And I saw absolutely NO PR for this album at all. So I got up early on the day it was released and I took to the streets with chalk.

But I think that the lack of advertising may have had something to do with it. And the urban legend that BEST OF albums ruin stuff.

Plus, the influx of downloads is likely to hurt Canadian artists first.

So it was you!

http://www.nearfantastica.com/bored/index.php?showtopic=5687

i think in a coma had terrible promotion. i did not even know of its existence until after it was released. i saw it in futureshop and purchased it immedietly.

secondly, it is much more than music you already own. ive never even listened to the greatest hits disc, but i cant get enough of rooms, it is incredible. the videos with commentary is also a gem.

i think in a coma had terrible promotion. i did not even know of its existence until after it was released. i saw it in futureshop and purchased it immedietly.

secondly, it is much more than music you already own. ive never even listened to the greatest hits disc, but i cant get enough of rooms, it is incredible. the videos with commentary is also a gem.

Absolutely... it's way more then a standard Greatest Hit cd... but still it was release as a greatest hits cd

'The problem is that "In a coma" was tagged as a "Greatest Hits" album instead of an accoustic/new stuff cd.'

Then why didn't this appear as an option for the vote? I imagine that you may be right, and if this had been marketed correctly we would have seen more people buying.

Another option I think could have affected sales would be his politics. Some people are willing to disagree enough to boycott things..

'The problem is that "In a coma" was tagged as a "Greatest Hits" album instead of an accoustic/new stuff cd.'

Except that the acoustic/new stuff cd was only in the Deluxe release. Theoretically, had it been marketed to its fullest, the regular edition should have outsold the Deluxe edition. (That's going on the history that most people who by a Greatest Hits album are only somewhat interested in a band or performer.)

I think it's because Matts music has been to diverse in those 10 years. Most hardcore fans, myself included, like the fact that he keeps things fresh, but for a casual listener who either likes slow gentle songs or faster harder rock songs, this cd is just a little too much all over the place musically. Just my 2 cents.