Sim

Why "In A Coma" Resulted In Bad Sales?

Regarding last Matt post, why do you think "In a coma" was a decrease in sales?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Regarding last Matt post, why do you think "In a coma" was a decrease in sales?

• Peoples are sick of "Greatest hits" album
    • Some songs were missing (Avalanche, Blue Skies, etc.)
    • Peoples didn't wanted to pay for stuff they already own
    • Lack of publicity / radio play
    • Others (Post)

'The problem is that "In a coma" was tagged as a "Greatest Hits" album instead of an accoustic/new stuff cd.'

Then why didn't this appear as an option for the vote? I imagine that you may be right, and if this had been marketed correctly we would have seen more people buying.

Another option I think could have affected sales would be his politics. Some people are willing to disagree enough to boycott things..

The question is "Why does in a coma resulted in bad sales" and NOT "What should have been done with in a coma" (Well i could do another poll though).

no offense to anybody, but the "selling single" wasn't as strong as half the music was on that cd, I mean strong as in for the radio. oh be joyful was a catchy tune, but as far as matt's music goes, it sounded exactly like what he was talking about, a song that he was forced into recording. I realize, yes that's true, but it didnt seem to have any passion at all..mind you I still like it. I dont really know exactly how to make the point I'm trying to make, but don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but it could have been a better song, perhaps matt's saving his good ones for a new release

Let's face it, television is still the way to go in terms of promotion. The GH needed a music video, radio is nice but it's not enough.

And television is certainly a much better outlet than your personal blog. Universal dropped the ball with advertising (I'm not even aware of any commericals that aired) but Matt's reluctance to shoot videos may have contributed to that too, I really have no idea if that came into play at all though.

I'd say that Universal mostly fucked up, but I get the impression they just don't really care about MG anymore. I'm a subscriber to Universal's newsletter and they didn't even feature IAC in that. They've more or less abandoned all hope and fucked the dog since WWRRR. Quite frankly I'm surprised they did what they did for Avalanche (even though that wasn't exactly a whole lot but at least it was something), they seemed to be a lot less concerned after the demise of MGB.

The question is "Why does in a coma resulted in bad sales" and NOT "What should have been done with in a coma" (Well i could do another poll though).

Bad marketing and/or political views are valid answers to that question.

i'd have to say that People don't want to pay for stuff they already own, because that was my reason. i really wanted the dvd and acoustic but Greatest hits? sure it comes with oh be joyful but i already have that, and it just wasn't all that appealing to buy a greatest hits album when i have all the cds. the lack of publicity was obvious, but i'm not sure if more publicity would have helped.

I prefer to think of IAC as a collection of singles rather than a GH. I think most fans would agree that at least half the songs on this collection do not belong on it. I agree that rooms should have just been sold seperately with the dvd. Including Lo-Fi and Loser Anthems was good to though, as I do not own them.