I've been sharing music files with a few of my not so close friends. (I state the fact that they're not very close, because my friends and I usually share taste in music) When it comes to some of my favorite bands like Veruca Salt, Jack Off Jill, Metric and Poe, people automatically don't think it's very good because of the femal vocals.

This is why it is so hard for a woman to make it in the music industry without exploiting her body. People still don't take women seriously.

In general I would rather listen to male vocals, but there are definatly some woman who are amazing and talented vocalists and musicians. It just depends. For example, my band has a female vocalist and I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Edited by Prometheon

In general I would rather listen to male vocals, but there are definatly some woman who are amazing and talented vocalists and musicians. It just depends. For example, my band has a female vocalist and I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Props to you.

For those not sufficiently familiar with my character, my comment was a joke.

I like female vocals actually. I think the reason why they're less popular or well-received, is they tend be less distinctive from one another in many cases than male vocals, or such is the general impression.

There are lots of good female singers, but my personal opinion is that female rock singers just sounds like they are trying too hard or something. I dunno what it is, it just sounds so forced. Women pop singers, country, opera, whatever... sounds just fine to me, but rock singers... i dunno. To me its no different than some people not like certain genres of music.

a lot of people i know who don't like female vocals blame it on their sounding "whiny". either that or my friends are just straight up misogynists.

i love female vocals. i don't think they're any better or worse than male vocals. women in particular bring something different to the mic and i think its a refreshing change. there should be more females fronting bands.

It's because women are bad musicians.

I'll show you bad musicians!

Melissa Auftermaur is a god when it comes to bass.

(sexy as hell too)

i can play bass better than Auf Der Maur, but that's nothing to brag about. It's like saying i can play drums better than Meg White.

There are lots of good bands with female singers. Dresden Dolls are by far my favourite, but there are also the Like, the Magic Numbers, the Distillers, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, the Stars, and then you even have the crazy female singers, like in Otep and Arch Enemy ;)

in my humble opinion, i usually feel uncomfortable listening to most female vocalists because they tend to get really gushy with their emotions without being overly artistic about it. (this is a vague generalization and please the the IMHO!!) it takes a very unique girl to make me say 'wow'... like tori amos, and regine chassagne.

I know what you mean, and it is really sad. I guess it's just because women haven't really been involved in real music, much the same way that many people don't take african-american/canadian artists seriously, because most black "artists" in pop culture are spitting out shit for the sake money and fame.

It's so sad, but if you see a girl singer you usually think 'candy-coated-whore.'

PS~ i love Jewel and Michelle Branch and Kelly Clarkson.

I love female vocalists. A few I love that were mentioned above: Sarah Harmer, Tori Amos, Jewel (pre-Intuition). A few others: Ani Defranco, Loreena Mckennitt, Sarah Mclachlan. Most of the music I listen to is by women, actually.

Edited by Russell