the sound of holly mcnarland's voice makes my knees weak. i think she's one of the three most gifted people on the planet. BUT if you look in my cd collection, i'm a huge fan of bands with male vocals.

in answer to your question: there are considerably more mainstream male "rock" (read:notpop) vocalists than there are women, especially outside of canada (seems up here female "rock" vocalists do better than any place else i've seen.) also, male vocals can do all sorts of subgenres, but girl vocals just don't cut it in some areas. remember kitty? i think the ratio of popular:unpopular is the same in both sexes, it's just that there are more boys than girls.

everyone says emily haynes is hot. i love metric, but i dunno about the whole sex appeal thing.

funny story...

while i was browsing through some old records at a local store, some guy was buying a cd and started to make small talk with the store owner about how hot emily haynes is and how he'd "love to tap that fine piece of tail". here's the funny part... he had no idea that the owner was emily's brother ;)

i might have said something before the man dug himself too deep a grave, but it was too fun to watch

I know what you mean, and it is really sad. I guess it's just because women haven't really been involved in real music, much the same way that many people don't take african-american/canadian artists seriously, because most black "artists" in pop culture are spitting out shit for the sake money and fame.

say WHAAAAAAT?!??!

first of all, who doesn't take black artists seriously? what's your definition of "popular culture"?? james brown is a part of popular culture. so is b.b. king. so is dr. dre.

women haven't been involved in real music?? are we talking recently or within the past century or what?

i like female vocals but i have to admit i don't have that many in my library. i take them seriously, but i don't really take all-girl bands seriously, i'm not sur why. it's just that there haven't been any that stand out in my mind as successful.

I don't know any all-girl rock band that makes good music. And I like female rockers, but still the majority of my collection is male vocals because they are just more out there. There aren't that many good women that make rock music.

I know what you mean, and it is really sad. I guess it's just because women haven't really been involved in real music, much the same way that many people don't take african-american/canadian artists seriously, because most black "artists" in pop culture are spitting out shit for the sake money and fame.

say WHAAAAAAT?!??!

first of all, who doesn't take black artists seriously? what's your definition of "popular culture"?? james brown is a part of popular culture. so is b.b. king. so is dr. dre.

women haven't been involved in real music?? are we talking recently or within the past century or what?

FUCK! the bored just ate my message, so this is going to be brief because i don't want to type my spiel out again.

First off, i was agreeing with Ninjastyle, Jeff just posted before i did.

What i was trying to say is that in popular music, what you will see on muchmusic and mtv all day every day, is a female singer who goes into the studio and sings someone else's words the way the producer told her to.

I equated this to 95% of popular black musicians, who scribble down broken sentences about "mackin hoes" while real hip-hop artists, the ones with integrity and substance are ignored by the mainstream. Did you know Kanye West had trouble getting signed because he doesn't dressup like a billboard?

In turn, i can equate this with country music. If i say 'country signer,' most people think of some nashville Wal-Mart shit, like Toby Keith.

What i was trying to say is that in popular music, what you will see on muchmusic and mtv all day every day, is a female singer who goes into the studio and sings someone else's words the way the producer told her to.

right, but you'll see that regardless of a person's sex... men do it too and just as well/badly.

theres nothing wrong with not singing your own words, either. in an era that was pre-beatles, that sort of thing was the norm. the supremes hardly wrote their own songs. does that make them any less important to the development of popular music??? if you take a look back at pop music, a majority of the classics are cover tunes. some better than others.

even looking at a more recent example... me first and the gimmie gimmies. these guys dont write their own songs right? are they any less credible?

kanye west doesn't dress like a billboard? he is as much of a hack as the rest of mainstream rap.

i understand what you're talking about here definitely. but i think you've got more of a problem with popular music in general.

the fact that you're pointing out a specific race of people and a specific sex of people means you're overlooking the rest of mainstream music that sucks just as much.

like many other posts, i'd have to see it depends on who is singing. That girl from Evenessence has a great voice, but then you have the bad annoying ones like Gwen Steffani that apparantly sing "rock music" so like anything else you have the good and the bad. Also the girl from Arch Enemy, tell me that isn't a great voice, puts my metal screaming to shame.

there are plenty of good female vocalists; Bjork, Lisa Hannigan, Tori Amos, the girl from Cat Power, the girl from Lamb, Christine Fellows, Fiona Apple, but i will agree there are a lot more talented male artists and vocalists, but this is most likley from social factors more than anything, anything concerning women usually is, they were too busy fighting oppression in the last hundered years or so to actually spend time creating music (htough some like Nina Simone for example did both), hopefully this will continue to change, as it has been in recent years.

Edited by driftinginfluence