Sim

What Should Have Been Done With "In A Coma"

In my mind it was the best solution, a simple greatest hits (cheaper) for part-time listener and a packed package for die-hard fans (which was also cheap considering 2 cds, reworking and a DVD).

Explaining the options:

- A complete new single CD (maybe complete accoustic) released as "Entirely new Stuff". It would have cost less to the buyer and may have been a good idea, but since Matt seem to be on a turning point, releasing a greatest hits seem to be the key solution to mark the end of an era.

- It should not have been two differents versions: The problem is that here in Quebec, only the deluxe edition is available in stores (i never ever seen the standard single cd). I guess that store used the simple equation "bang for the buck" which mean the Deluxe Edition is worthing way more... for 10$ more you get new reworking and a DVD... but ordinary people just don't see it that way...

- Should have been a video or a single with it: Bring back the question of publicity, "Big City Life" or "Oh be Joyfull" could have been a single/video (well there was a video for it, but i don't think it would have been playing... i know it was a joke, but still, releasing a video was a good idea). Which bring another question... is Universal really doing their job at promoting their artist?

- It's as good as it should be: Well for fan (and mostly everyone on this site) it was, but for the regular listener (it should have been!)

*** Update ***

Well it should have been a poll but the server just didn't take it, so vote in your reply:

- A complete new single CD

- It should not have been two differents versions

- Should have been a video or a single with it

- It's as good as it should be

- Other

Edited by Sim

"Should have been a video or a single with it"

Also, a greatest hits should be the best singles, not "Every single released other than two from WLRRR and what was on AOB because AOB didn't sell". MG just doesn't have the legacy that they were basing the tracklisting on. They have some extremely strong and influencial singles, but a fair share of weaker singles are on the record too. Maybe they should have thrown on a cover or another new song in exchange for a few singles (ie Rico, Indestructible, Haven't Slept In Years).

Adding Anti-Pop and Carmelina would have helped things too, maybe even Raygun.

They also spread themselves too thin in terms of resources; All Together, Comfortable Criminals, or Annabelle should have been on the GH CD with Ponyboy as opposed to offering bonuses for those who bought it through itunes.

Everything other than the tracklisting on the actual singles CD was perfect though.

Edited by Monochrome Rainbow

there should have been a video for the single.

i thought that there was a lot of promotion in victoria for it. all the major music stores had big posters and when i went to hmv to buy it in hillside mall, all the deluxe editions were sold out...

which leads me to my say that it should have also been split up.

AND! i know loser anthems is good, but most people who wanted it had it.

Other

I don't know that MG would support the idea, but they could have pushed more of the older songs at the same time they were pushing "Oh Be Joyful". (I say that not knowing if radio still plays the older tracks semi-regularly.) Remind people why they would want to buy the thing.

Run commercial spots on regular tv - like a montage of the various videos. (I say that not knowing if they did such a thing.) The folks who would buy the thing aren't the folks watching MuchMusic, and probably haven't been in a music store in a while.

rooms + the 4 songs he didn't have time to record + the dvd should have been included in a deluxe edition of the new cd he is coming out with this year.

To those who think OBJ and BCL could have had music videos I would suggest that they would not have done well. Pony Boy on the other hand would have had a much better chance at getting into a higher rotation.

By the way, does anyone know who decided to not include pony boy on AOB? Was it Matt or the label? It seems strange to me that the label would throw away a song that could easily be marketed on a cd they figured only had 2 singles on it.

could it have been released to get out of a contract? because that's what happens sometimes. an artist makes a compilation to get out of a contract and move onto another....

is matt on a new label or indipendent now?

could it have been released to get out of a contract? because that's what happens sometimes. an artist makes a compilation to get out of a contract and move onto another....

is matt on a new label or indipendent now?

Actually he still own Universal another record that should be out later this year...