Doormat

Hockey+violence=bad Or Entertaining?

Nowadays, hockey is changed from skill and techniques to ice wrestling. A perfect example is the World Juniors Game with USA and Russia. Come on, that was disgraceful. You're losing so you try to beat the other team into submission. We humans are better than that.

Also, is it just mainly on ice hockey? I play floor hockey and no fighting/body checking at all is allowed. Is it because ice hockey allows more protection, or because it allows people to get more speed to slam into the other guy?

The only games I've noticed that use grinding and checking as a tactic are the North West division games (NHL). Everywhere else I've noticed has been using lots of skill. Look at Ottawa for example, their main line (before they were mostly injured) was amazing, look at Ovechkin and Crosby, a tad overated, but they can handle the puck very well. I haven't really seen any loss of skill...but that might just be me.

Yeah, thus checking and smashing people should be illegal in hockey in general...Like the old days where you'd be kicked out for overly physical contact. Some people are damn good, but once you smash them into the boards, slash their face with your stick, and smack them when they're on the ice, they are more worried about people killing them than playing. Also, then in turn might become pissed and aggresive, so it just creates another chain of crap.

Checking is part of the game. A good clean hit can have the same affect as scoring a goal. I think most of what you are saying would have been true of the 'old' NHL, but now with the new rules in place hockey is being played the way it's meant to be played.

To me it's because we are a violent society. Violent TV, games, movies, so why not sports? Come on...How is this different from the Roman Collosseum? And Gladiators? It's entertaining for people to get smashed into boards and for people to have a boxing match on the ice.

Well the difference between hockey and gladiators is the fact that they're not killing each other brutally with weapons. I have yet to see somebody go to or watch a hockey game JUST for the hitting. Why not take contact out of football? Hitting is essential in games like hockey. Just because there is hitting doesn't mean there is no skill anymore.

Edited by Yasa

For god sakes, stop trying to pussify our world.

agreed.

Fighting in hockey is probably one of the least violent forms of "violence" in sports. Baseball fights and basketball fights get far more out of hand. The average hockey fight is too players who respect each other trying to pump up their team or the crowd, and is not usually malicious in intent.

Floor hockey doesn't have hitting in it because it is ridiculous to run at someone and plow them over when neither you or they are wearing any sort of protective gear. You must glide into a body check, otherwise you are charging, therefore a clean open floor hit is impossible to acheive.

Edited by rebellious_L

There's a bigger picture to this. It isn't only about hockey...It's about how violence is becoming more prominient. It's true...we've been goddamn "Americanised." Allow goddamn sticks as weapons in hockey...it doesn't matter, it's all the same thing. Violence is not necessary for everything, like it is today. Kids learn violence early on from television, sports, movies and games they become fucked up adults for the society. If you don't like violence you're a pussy. If you don't smash some guy into a wall, you're a pansy. You don't force a guy's face to slam into the boards and knock a few teeth out, you're a coward. "Stop trying to pussify our world..." primetime, see you in Iraq, because only pussies protest for peace.

There is a big difference between watching someone get checked into the boards and seeing someone get shot. I'm sick of people blaming video games and T.V. for the excess of violence that occurs in this world. I've played violent games, watched violent movies, and thouroughly enjoyed myself. But that doesn't mean I like REAL violence. I once shot a bird and I actually felt really bad about it, and would never do it again. The problem is this. Say 5% of the population are seriously fucked up people. They have kids. Chances are their kids will be fucked up. Meanwhile, 2% of the kids from the other non-fucked up people turn out to be idiots because their parents didn't know what the hell they were doing, or some other event occured that fucked them, and now the fucked up population has grown. This continues until Western civilization collapses into a pathetic ruin. There's my useless rant of complete bullshit for the day

There's a bigger picture to this.  It isn't only about hockey...It's about how violence is becoming more prominient.  It's true...we've been goddamn "Americanised."  Allow goddamn sticks as weapons in hockey...it doesn't matter, it's all the same thing.  Violence is not necessary for everything, like it is today.  Kids learn violence early on from television, sports, movies and games they become fucked up adults for the society.  If you don't like violence you're a pussy.  If you don't smash some guy into a wall, you're a pansy.  You don't force a guy's face to slam into the boards and knock a few teeth out, you're a coward.  "Stop trying to pussify our world..." primetime, see you in Iraq, because only pussies protest for peace.

Hockey, Bloodsport and the Grand Theft Auto series are not the cause of violent children. The child themselves and the parenting are to be blamed for their violent behaviour. As for hockeys "contribution" to this, have you ever seen kids reenact a good body check when they're playing on the street? How about a kid shooting somebody and saying "hockey made me"?

The contact in hockey is something that is part of the sport and will always be. It is not causing the demise of the sport in anyway, and like mentioned before, one good hit can turn the tide of the game. Is that so bad? It's a contact sport, not a carefully choreographed ice ballet.

Edited by Yasa

the fighting is good and so is the hitting. The dirty shit that some players do is not so good. I like watching Chara throw guys around like little rag dolls. He can do it so he should. Same with the other goons.

"He can do it so he should"?

You belong in the "I feel bad for laughing thread." Only on the retard side.

Don't get pissy either. I am capable of making fun of you, so i did.

Look, There is a time and a place for it. Part of the game is hitting, same as tackling in football, it was the way the game was designed and it isn't going to change. Respnsible adults with kids in the game should be telling their kids that bodychecking is meant for the ice, not everyday life. Yes you are going to have your dirty hits, sucker punches, etc... but that is what penalties and fines are for. If you have some kid beating the shit out of another kid by pulling his shirt over his head and/or laying hits on a kid, then the parents aren't doing their jobs. The game of hockey is fine the way it's being played.