evilcartman1972

Why Did Matt Fail In U.s. Market

the thing with Matthew Good in the states is this... NO ONE HERE KNOWS WHO THE FUCK HE IS.. I'd go as far as to say that it freaked me out to find mm biography shows and whatnot about mgb... out here he just doesn't exist to the general public... and i constantly try to get people into him here but most of my friends listen to much heavier music or emo or some shit... the only person I ever succesfully passed matt onto is my wife... but yeah... I've gone on far too long..

I love Matt's Music. I'm down here in Massachusetts, and that's where I first saw MGB, on Muchmusic. Then after a few months, they pulled much and replaced it with religious programming. Then they gave us this Fuse crap, which totally sucks!!! I agree with Evilcartman, it's all in the marketing push. I also think it may be his politics...or more to the point, his willingness to excercise his right to free speech. OLP and Nickelback, while I like both bands to some degree, pander to their audiences, enough to be passed off to the average short attention spanned audience, here in the states. After all we're the country that brought you Britney, Backstreet, Jessica, and DowNSync.

Do I think their may be some truth to a Canadian Bias...Well Rush(One of my all time favorite bands)Have not been inducted into the Rock N Roll Hall of fame...After 36 years??? They practically gave birth to a lot of big name bands over the years...It does beg the question of Bias.

why would the us care if matt good was outspoken?

i seriously doubt people in the music business care what a canadian musician says about a country he doesn't even live in. matt voicing his opinions is not a threat to his own country, much less ours. there are plenty of AMERICANS that speak out against the government and throw their political views all around their music, it hasn't stopped them from becoming popular.

bands like nickelback and olp are popular not because they pander to their audience, but because they have a generic, radio-friendly sound that appeals to all kinds of people, rock fans, pop fans, old people that rock out to journey, etc. matt doesn't really have that. his music isn't gonna appeal to the wide range of people that shit like nickelback does, because it's actually GOOD.

while we may be the country that brought the world britney/bsb/jessica/nsync (and i should mention that justin timberlake is actually pretty fucking talented, whether you like his style of music or not, the man can sing) we are also the country that brought the world nine inch nails and pearl jam and pantera and a HUGE amount of other, equally influential bands. so maybe you should mention that as well.

and rush not being inducted into the r n' r hall of fame might have something to do with the fact that THEY FUCKING SUCK.

saying that rush sucks is going too far... just like what you had to say about justin timbercakes... they are very, very talented... and they have influenced a wide range of musicians themselves.

Edited by bobbyshane

I always wanted to believe that Matt was where he wanted to be in terms of fame and success. I know that every artist has to take money into consideration, but I had always hoped that his success in the Canadian market was the way it is because that was the market he wanted to tyackle.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be that way. It's a shame, I suppose.

But honestly... I don't think the bastradized version of Beautiful Midnight could have done well, with song titles like a boy and his ******* ***.

I think it depends on the person.

It's hard to release songs with titles like that when a country is still up in arms about school shootings. A lot of people in the years after Columbine and other incidents were convinced that the "rock and roll" music was at least partially responsible.

It's a sad fact, but it's true.

Perhaps it worked for Marilyn Manson to get higher sales, but fr unknown artists starting out in the country, how likely is it for a radio station to want to mess with that.

the truth is- the more exposure, the more contreversy.

Something that was never a big deal might have been made one if things had gone differently.

Ive often wondered why MG isnt big in the states but its hard to tell the exact reason. Here in london, i am surprised that he is not bigger than he is. Many people dont even know him when I talk about him or they just know oh be joyful or hello time bomb. I have slowly converted most of my freinds and now we all cant wait for more stuff.

Well, it's easy to see why he hasn't made it now..

He's not quiet about his discontent with the American lifestyle.

I think it's very similar to Farhenheit nine eleven when it came out- They said that Where Canadians laughed at the movie, Americans fell silent.

Things are much less amusing when you're in the middle of them.

Apathy is more fun.

I agree with Instant-Karma that he had a lot better chance of breaking into the U.S. market back when it was M.G.B. He might not have ever cared if he sold records in the U.S. or not. However, someone wanted him to break into that market, or the money wouldn't have been spent releasing Beautiful Midnight, and getting it played, at least on mtv2. I don't know if it was played on any good radio stations since I live in the sticks and most radio stations around here play country. Just kinda sucks I have to surf the web just to see if he has any future music coming down the pipeline; but at least that options there, or I'd be screwed.

I think it's very similar to Farhenheit nine eleven when it came out- They said that Where Canadians laughed at the movie, Americans fell silent.

Apathy is more fun.

how does that have anything to do with his success in america?

do you think american artists are quiet about their discontent with the 'american lifestyle'?

do tell, what exactly IS the 'american lifestyle'?

you seem confident that you know, and i find that funny, considering you don't LIVE here.

MGB was too intelligent for the American market. That isn't to say that people here are stupid, just that the people who control radio/television think they are as a result of marketing and past parental advisory concerns.

I disagree with that entirely. I think the problem was that BM was the right record for 1999 and the wrong record for 2001. There was that shift towards the end of '99 when rock went aggro, and MGB wasn't part of that. BM recalled that late-90s alternative sound, something that was getting less and less airplay in the 00s.

I think Atlantic (and probably the band) thought selling BM in the States would be easy, given it's track record in Canada, and discovered that it needed more of a push to break through all of the Bizkit-rock of the period. Everybody looked at each other and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Plus, if you're going to criticize the American market for not "getting" MGB, what about the Canadian market that failed to "get" either AoB or Avalanche?

/yeah, you heard me

MGB was too intelligent for the American market. That isn't to say that people here are stupid, just that the people who control radio/television think they are as a result of marketing and past parental advisory concerns.

I disagree with that entirely. I think the problem was that BM was the right record for 1999 and the wrong record for 2001. There was that shift towards the end of '99 when rock went aggro, and MGB wasn't part of that. BM recalled that late-90s alternative sound, something that was getting less and less airplay in the 00s.

I think Atlantic (and probably the band) thought selling BM in the States would be easy, given it's track record in Canada, and discovered that it needed more of a push to break through all of the Bizkit-rock of the period. Everybody looked at each other and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Plus, if you're going to criticize the American market for not "getting" MGB, what about the Canadian market that failed to "get" either AoB or Avalanche?

/yeah, you heard me

Crap. 2001 you said? Ouch. That'd be another nail, I guess.

I didn't criticize the American market because I absolutely can't stand the American market or anything else. It might have something to do with the fact that its the thread topic. The American Market "got it", for sure. They always do. They just didn't want to play it.

I wouldn't know anything about the Canadian market, but if I had to venture a guess it would probably be that BM was so successful that it is written off as being the best they could ever do and everything else is subsequently ignored. It's happened to some of my favorite artists in other markets.

The fact that only 2 singles of AOB were released and the fact that there was no tour to support its release are the reasons no one got AOB. I'd have to agree with uglyredhonda that the 2 year wait really didn't help them sell cds in the U.S. As for not being content with american politics, that didn't matter because no one knew who he was.

I wouldn't know anything about the Canadian market, but if I had to venture a guess it would probably be that BM was so successful that it is written off as being the best they could ever do and everything else is subsequently ignored. It's happened to some of my favorite artists in other markets.

Ahh, dammit. I knee-jerked and didn't look to see where you were from.

/"yeah, you heard me" suddenly doesn't sound so funny

//i suck

Ahh, dammit. I knee-jerked and didn't look to see where you were from.

/"yeah, you heard me" suddenly doesn't sound so funny

//i suck

Crap. I feel like I've let you down somehow. I'll pretend I'm Canadian and we can argue about health care or something.

IMO, there's too many reasons to name MGB's lack of success in America. Record label, timing, market trends, the list goes on. I just don't think that it could ever be because of the listeners themselves.

N'Sync, the Backstreet Boys, and Britney Spears were on top of the charts when BM hit the U.S. Could anyone be honestly surprised that it wasn't a success here? I'll say that the "edited" album wasn't too bad. The tone sure changed with the replaced songs, as I'd learn when I finally got the Canadian version, but the other stuff wasn't too bad. Song titles being changed on the cover didn't bother me, since they didn't extend to the actual song.

Apathy is more fun.

how does that have anything to do with his success in america?

do you think american artists are quiet about their discontent with the 'american lifestyle'?

do tell, what exactly IS the 'american lifestyle'?

you seem confident that you know, and i find that funny, considering you don't LIVE here.

No need to get defensive.

I spent a large chunk of my childhood in the States, as my grandparents do in fact reside there for 50% of the year, or they did prior to my gradfather going into chemotherapy.

I'm not professing to be an expert on American Lifestyle, but I can tell you that living next door allows us a slight glimpse into it.

There are basic differences and basic similiarities in comparing American and Canadian happenings.

I think that it is one thing when American Artists speak out about American politics.

I think it is QUITE another thing when canadians do.

fortunately for me, your gem of a post simply strengthens that belief.

Defensive nature of patriotism when someone who is not from your country points out things wrong with your country

Some would even call it terrorism.

Edited by LexyGirl

At least it stated an opinion.

As opposed to simply ridiculing someone.

But hey, that's just me.

spending time visiting family in the states isn't the same as actually living here.

you never answered my question, you just skated around it.

what's wrong, did it take all your energy to call me a terrorist?