evilcartman1972

Why Did Matt Fail In U.s. Market

I think it's a safe assumption that the majority of Matt Good fans are intelligent, worldly, care about society and politics and just the general universe. We listen to Matt's music not just because he comes up with creative tunes, but because he conveys emotion and has a point in his songs. He's not writing lyrics with the goal of following the formula for a pop "hit". His music is much deeper than that, much more real, and heart-felt.

I hope one day soon the world will be a better place, where people care about the future and value intelligence, and Matt Good will be discovered to be the Music Genius (or Music God) that us fans already know he is.

I hope that will happen one day too.

Matt's the best. His music, blogging, and political activism has had a huge impact on me. He seems to care about what's going on in the world and urges people to take action. I started volunteering for the first time in my community a few years ago and am now sponsoring two children in Mexico and Kenya. I owe it all to Matt and his blog. I think he's making a difference in people's lives for the better.

Alright, it's time to get over the Canadian/American thing. We come from the same collection of Countries, Britain, and we diverged somewhat because of The American Revolution. For one we supported the Brits in it, not the Americans. And yes we had a choice, just because we were a colony doesn't mean our people don't have opinions, we could have resisted too. Anyways after the war, the Americans became very gun savvy because weapons meant protection to them, that's how the Brits ruled, through their Navy, and defeating that once was a daunting task they almost lost they weren't going to let that happen again. Secondly they lost all noticable symbols of British culture, tea, the letter u in many words, and also the need to establish their country. An established country could bring allies which would mean that if Britain wanted the U.S. back it would have to think twice. Canada, took on the British condescending attitude about the U.S. The Brits lost the war, so of course they were going to look upon their former peoples distainfully. But at the end of the day the Americans are more British than they wanted to be, and we're not as much unlike the States as we'd like to be.

On to the MGB failing. It's quite simple really, one is definitely the pitiful tour. Having several solid tours could help develop a strong fan base. Marketing isn't everything. Also it was the poor choice of singles, Strange Days is a third single, not a second one. The second single should have been either Load Me Up or The Future Is X-Rated. The MGB could have sold well, their singles were all more pop-rock than rock.

Also, I don't see what's wrong with editing the songs on BM. I would love to hear the clean version of The Future Is X-Rated. I think the phone sex thing is just stupid, and really the song is good enough I don't think it really needed it.

North America is a shithole.

MGB failed in the states because neither the label or band really put much effort into success. Of course it's harder to put effort into it as a band if your label isn't. Failing had nothing to do with anyone's political views. However I think if he tried today that would be a negative factor for MG.

He mentions exactly why in an interview here: http://thebackstagepass.ca/interviews.html

The media in the US was very condescending and he didn't want to fulfill some demands of the label because it would compromise his integrity.

Cool interview (I'm listening to it now), but is it just me or does the interviewer sound completely uninterested?

I think it's just his inexperience as an interviewer as to why he kept offering monosyllabic replies such as "cool" and "sweet". He does seem genuinely interested in his music and career, though he sort of involuntarily dissed him in his interview with Dave Genn (see 54-40) a few months later.

To his credit however, I haven't heard another audio interview as good, or at least as revelatory, as this one.

Edited by Zoon

that dj butchered that whole interview...the only good thing he did was play fearless... its too bad that they didnt have the making of the acoustic stuff..

"oh, wow" ;)

Edited by Blender

im selfish...im glad he isnt big anywhere else...as soon as artists start having to bow to rec. companys the vibe changes - least it has for me in the past - and i think it would be a shame to lose such an artist.

He's Canadian. As hard as he may have or could have tried, his nationality holds most Canadian performers back. His being an outspoken Canadian didn't/doesn't help either. Americans don't like outspoken Canadians.

If it's all because he's canadian, then explain why Sarah McLachlan (who you can't deny is an outspoken canadian) has done so well in the US?

what does it matter? isn't this one of the questions matt is constantly raging against, success in any given market makes absolutely zero reflection on the band itself... music is first and foremost personal connection, anything else is just looking for a bandwagon to ride

Here is my two cents:

Being in/from the states, i think that Matt didnt do too well was because of the label, and not wanting to last his integrity,and because the typical american teen would not begin to grasp the art that is his music. And then again, whose to say if they really wanted to be released here anyways. I wouldnt blame them.

We all know its all about the flavor of the week ver here in the states, if the music lyrics arent easy to comprehend, hackneyed (sp) over-zealous, angsty, and can be written by kids in pre-school, then its not going to keep the average kid attention.

Now when we talk about the older crowd, we all know that our folks and we somewhat listen to the radio. If your music here manages to get played over 500 times in a day , then your freakin album will sell, and thats the sad thing, cause, smart people know not to listen to the crap that is radio.

i too pulled a friend here into his music, and when i first did that, she claimed she wasnt into him. come to find a couple of years later, he grew on her, and you know why? Matt's music is that golden rare crystal you find in that temple of doom.

so i guess what i say will link into someonelse ive read in this thread ,, is that im am also glad that matt did not take the states here, because i would have appreciated his music a whole lot less, knowing that snotty little brats are trying to be all "hip" sipping there starbucks mocha frapps and thinking that they are in the now.

Alot of things that are worth the most are the things that need to be kept most secret.

I am done with my rant. Oh yeah, and i played indiana jones before that presto chango girl ever did.

har.