davidedward

Where And When Did You First Hear Matthewgood

Don't know how old I was... I'm guessing around 13. I saw Carmelina on Much Music and thought it was cool, but I never remembered who sang it. About a week later, at my sisters house on spring break, she told me to put any album in her collection in the stereo. I chose the Audio of Being. a few days later, I listened to it the whole way home(about a 2 hour drive), and then my older brother bought it for me. It wasn't long after I dicovered Beautiful Midnight, and I've been hooked ever since.

I was at friends house when i was 10 and they had big shiny tunes 3 on and i heard apparitions and i really liked the song but they hated it and always skipped it and it made me so mad because they thought it sounded "funny" and i loved that song. And it started it all... this is first time ive ever joined a website though. I dont know. Just never really thought of joining. I have all the cds. and i listen to matt good every fucking day.

the very first time I heard Apparitions on the radio way back when I ran out and bought Underdogs and have been a fan ever since, I just wish I could have noticed Matt a couple monthes earlier to be apart of the original lo-fi owners.

I remember hearing and liking Symbolistic White Walls when it first came out, but didn't really know anything about the band. And then I can remember hearing Everything is Automatic and Apparitions on the radio and liking those songs as well. I picked up last of the Ghetto astronauts at at 2nd hand shop and enjoyed it. In my second year of University my roomates and I swapped CD's all the time and I started listening and loving Underdogs. I saw Matt Good when Hello Time Bomb was big and it was a good show. What really made me notice Matt Good was when I was walking to work one summer night (I work nights at a Bar) and Matt Good was playing for the Fire Relief concert in Kamloops, BC. I could hear every song perfectly, even though I was miles away. It was incredible. It gave me a whole new respect for the guy. My boyfriend had BM, and I started listening to Matt Good a lot more. I saw him in November 2004 and although it was a small turn-out for the show, Matt was fabulous. A year later, my love for Matt Good's music now fully developed, I saw him play a charity concert in Vernon in a small theatre and was BLOWN AWAY. He's the kind of artist I'd always hoped I'd find, but didn't think existed. Brilliant, ever-evolving, meaningful lyrics and an intelligent, world-minded, fame-worthy individual.

I used to absolutely hate MGB. When I was in high school, if you asked me to comprise a list of the top 5 bands I think I should drop off the face of the planet, I would've listed the Matt Good Band as one of them. (This was around the time of "Apparations".) A couple of years later, I saw them on their tour with Moist. I was pretty pissed off I had to sit through MGB to get to Moist (who I used to love and therefore had to be there early for in order to get a good spot up front), but I absolutely fell in love. I loved the stage antics and the energy and eeep. I think this was during the Napster days, so I downloaded a bunch of songs ( ;) ) and liked those.. And then "Load Me Up" was released. That cinched the deal. Three weeks later, I owned all their albums, went to every gig they played in my area, etc etc.. My friends are all shocked that this 'obsession' as they call it has continued for so long (from first year uni to post- post-grad). ooops, i'm rambling..

I remember listening to Everything is Automatic on Much...I was completely blown away and couldn't get that song out of my head.

My experiance exactly.

My sister then promptly bought the album and i stole it, hehehe ;)

The first time I saw him was at the Calgary Stampede. He was playing the Coke stage right after Avalanche came out. The next morning, first thing I did was go out and buy every Matt Good CD I could get my hands on. I don't wanna be corny and say it like changed my life or anything, but it definately did change my whole perspective on what good music was. Good times.

I used to absolutely hate MGB. When I was in high school

Same here. I used to think Matt Good was the worst Canadian artist of all time until I actually really listened to it for the first time. Back when Much played Hello Time Bomb, Load Me UP, and Appartitions pretty much back to back to back I wanted to kill someone. I kind of always thought of MGB as a "Molson Canadian' band (kind of like NIckleback) where you kind of expected every song was made specifically to sell cheap beer to rednecks. Mainlyl because Matt chooses his absolutely WORST songs as singles.

That, of course, all changed when he opened his show at the Stampede with "Giant." I was just like "...yes"

When I was eight I saw the appiritions video, thought it was crappy my brothers liked it so I said it was good. Seven years later I see the comericial for In A Coma picked it up for hells sake. Loved it. Now I own eight of his cd's and I just want more.

you have no idea how old that makes me feel

*shudder*

I was in the 11th grade when I was watching the Apparations video

"sigh"

I liked 'Alabama Motel Room' and 'Symbolistic White Walls' which both got a lot of airplay around 1995 on CFOX (Vancouver rock station). I bought 'Last of The Ghetto Astronauts' that same year through Columbia House.

I started my first year at UBC in the Fall of 1995, and during my first week there I happened to be walking by the Student Union Building (SUB) around lunchtime when I heard a CITR (student radio station) DJ broadcasting outside announce that the Matthew Good Band was about to come out for a show. Sure enough 5 minutes later they were jamming right outside the entrance to the SUB with about 20 university students standing around listening. Most of them didn't seem to know his music, but as the set went on more passersbys stopped to listen. By the time they were finished their set (they played about half the songs off LOTGA), there were a few dozen of us rocking out.

Since then I've seen Matt perform several times live... many times more than any other band. I've seen him at least 5 times at UBC (ACF '98 ACF '05, AMS BBQ '96?, edgefest '99?, front of SUB '95), at least once or twice at Foxfest, SFU, and 3 or 4 other shows I can't remember the names of. I also went to his last CD release party as a part of MGB at the Vancouver Virgin store and got 'The Audio of Being' signed by the 4 band members.

Muchmusic. I saw and heard his video for "Load Me Up", on this strange but utterly interesting show. And i was hooked. Lets see, i'd say 1999 ish.

Talk about graceful nods of the head with "im frantic so load me up". Good stuff as i sat on the edge of the bed in marvel and wondered who is this?

My ears smiled as much as they could that afternoon.

And the funny thing is, ears dont smile.

Being in the states, i had never seen Muchmusic before, let alone know what it is. These days i miss it now, i get it no longer.

I heard EIA on muchmusic, and wasn't really a fan... then apparitions came out and it is still my favourite video of all time ( the tune is great too). I bought the album (for some reason it didn't come with lo-fi) and listened to the whole CD on my way home from my grandpa's cottage...fell in love with it. Never saw the whole band live though, still regret it to this day! ( ;)

I think it was either on CFOX or maybe on CBC Radio...i know those are two vastly different sources, but I still find it amazing how much new, interesting, and deserving stuff you can find on CBC at the oddest hours...

Back when the Barenaked Ladies were "cool" (were they ever cool? you bet) and very new, I heard them on CBC before I ever heard them anywhere else...