deremac

How Long For Harper?

How long do you think harper will stay as PM?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How long do you think harper will stay as PM?

• less than 6 months
    • about a year
    • 1 - 2 years
    • 3-5 years
    • more then 6

The Liberals currently have a leader, Bill Graham, he may be an interim leader but so was Trudeau in the '79 or '80 election, it's not really a big deal.

Hedy Fry is unlikely to be the leader, I haven't even heard anything mentioned about her taking part in the race.

The frontrunners are:

Michael Ignatieff: The former Havard professor who won his riding in the last election. However, he has the problem of condoning "soft" torture in some instances.

Belinda Stronach The former Conservative leader hopeful, and former government minister in the Martin government. She faces a couple problems though, one she's considered fairly inexperienced in politics, and there are still lingering questions over why she crossed the floor to the Liberals.

Scott Brison: Former Progressive Conservative leadership hopeful, he crossed the floor to the Liberals very shortly after the merge between the Alliance and PCs. He's been elected on the east coast since 1997, except for a brief time when he gave up his seat so Joe Clark could sit in parliment until a general election could be called. He's won his typically Conservative riding quite handily twice as a Liberal, both times by quite wide margins as well. He is also an openly gay candidate, and a couple years younger than Belinda.

Bob Rae: He is a former NDP Premier in Ontario, and he handled the Liberal inquiry into the Air India trial. He is also former federal NDPer though too, and he is not overly popular for his time as Premier of Ontario.

Other names that have been mentioned as possibilites are Stephane Dion, and Ken Dryden.

it all depends on how long the liberals can get a good new leader, might be a few years, might be longer, i am thinking longer, it is easier to be in opposition then in power, and the liberal need to regroup baddly.

1 - 2 years....i'm going for 1.5 years, seems to be the norm now a days.

How the hell is it the norm? Only one government lasted 1.5 years, and Harper is in a stronger position than the Liberals were.

Harper can't impose far right social conservatism. There are just some things that people aren't going to want to change, and he had to put a muzzle on most of the extreme social conservatives during the campaign as it was to ensure they didn't screw up the result. I voted 1-2 years, and that's barring him trying to screw around with anything most people consider the norm now, ie. gay marriage.

Grudgingly he seems to be doing some things alright, although I would question his pre-election platform stances on transparency in government (not allowing cabinet members to address the media) and ethical governance (the whole 'Emerson' thing). Of the two, the cabinet minister issue is the one that I find distressing.

D

I said 3-4 because I think this gov might grow on us. I don't think the liberals will come back into power for another couple elections. They've screwed up pretty badly, so the NDP probably has a better chance of getting in next election, though I'll still vote Conservative.

P.S. I really hope everyone here voted.

mmmaaannnn Harper is Fuckin' up! I never liked the guy, and all these secret deals and for defense and softwood lumber basically giving the American's a pass, i dunno, i hope he doesnt have much more than a year. Personally i want to start the Anti-Harper party just to have him shut the fuck up!