glo

'Best Of' Compilations

When a band releases a “Best of” album, is it really the best of the band?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. When a band releases a “Best of” album, is it really the best of the band?

• Yes - Explain / Give Examples
    • No - Explain / Give Examples

i would say it's fifty fifty.

i nulled my vote.

Take a band like Stone Temple Pilots, who only had three good songs per cd anyway, then you've got the perfect package after five or six LPs.

IAC sucked though because a lot of MG's singles didn't hold up to a lot of his other songs, and that happens with most bands outside of the 'perfect' mainstream.

"Best Of" albums rarely contain the best a band has to offer. They're usually just filled with the singles and commercially successful tracks. But the compilations can be a good way to get into an artist if they have an extensive catalogue.

Take a band like Stone Temple Pilots, who only had three good songs per cd anyway, then you've got the perfect package after five or six LPs.

core and purple are both solid albums

hasn't this thread been done before? does no one use the search button anymore?

I have been meaning to get further into the Tragically Hip for years now, but with ten lp's and never enough money, i didn't know where to start, so i just bought their package.

$21 w/ tax for a peak at all of their albums is not a bad deal. I know which album to start with now.

I would say no it's just usually the songs they choose as singles and for videos and shit, like one of soundgarden's best songs is Slaves & Bulldozers but its not on A-Sides the Best of Soundgarden. I just pray that Metallica and Iced Earth dont put out Best Of's and if metallica does that they stick to before 1991 none of this St.Anger bullshit.

I would say no as well. I also feel that just singles and greatest hits are just songs that went huge. Then you have some one hit wonder band, release a greatest hits collection. To me that makes no sense at all.

The only exception to the rule i guess is RearviewMirror CD by Pearl Jam, yes it does contain big songs and stuff, but it also is a review of their music history. Some songs on the CD you can find hardly anywhere.

For the most part I'd say no. However It really depends on the artist and which songs you do like. For example I recently bought Sheryl Crow's greatest hits and its awesome because I can't say the same about all of her albums.

I dunno. I kind of don't like them. I always listened to music on an album basis, not sure if that makes sense. The idea of collecting all the hits or whatever on one easily accessible CD is nice for someone just getting into a band or artist, but...you're kind of missing out.

Hm.

I like the current trend in two versions of the greatest hits collections, in which there's the deluxe edition for the fans, and just the stripped down "singles collection" for the rest.

Thinking about In A Coma, Massive Attack's "Collected" and Mclusky's Mcluskyism.

In all three cases, there's the regular single-disc release, and then there's the two-three disc release of rarities, extra bits and pieces and stuff the fans would really dig.

If they're put together with care and intelligence, it's a good release for both parties, and they've got all the bases covered, pretty much.

it really depends how into the band you are. I have a few "best ofs" or "greatest hits" alblums but just from bands that I'm not super into. A greatest hits CD gets you the singles, the songs you've heard and know you like without the other stuff. I guess I'm really just stating the obvious. It's hard to say whether a CD can be the best of because in the end it all comes down to personal opinion.