insane_child

"homosexuals fight for their faith"

is homosexuality wrong? (in your ...and only your.... opinion)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. is homosexuality wrong? (in your ...and only your.... opinion)

• yes
    • no
    • undecided
    • i hope not
    • gross!

hmmm, being a christian, i think its wrong, however, i think alot of people, specifially other christians, look at it in a way they shouldn't. they treat it like tis the sin of all sins when its not. i think.. 'the church' should be against gays as much as theyare against like jewish peopel and muslims. you never seen christians ranting about muslims, always about gays. if you thik about it, its pretty much the same. both are lifestyles the bible is against that people aren't going to turn from [easily]. haha okay im done. let me say i have a few gay friends, im as un-against it as someone against it could be.

Being the only person to post who is not bound by religion (I consider myself agnostic, meaning that I feel I lack the information to make an informed decision. Yes I do realize that it is ironic that I would say I do not have faith because I require proof, when in fact the definition of faith is to believe with out proof. But I leave religion as another thread altogether)

I have got in many debates about this next point, but here goes: I think that homosexuality is a natural mutation of stand gender (I use mutation in a biological sense to mean non-standard change). It is entirely possible that all creatures have homosexuals at some point in there evolution (or all points).

Now I realize that one could argue that mutation alone does not explain the number of persons that are homosexual... but to imply that homosexuality is not a property of genetics, implies that it is a psychological problem (I do not believe that to be true).

On a side note regarding religion and homosexuality, didn't the Catholic church have huge problems with there celibate priests molesting young boys, though out the middle ages, and even in modern times? Just a thought.

Peace

It is against my morals, religiously.

But seeing as they are people, they should be allowed to have a lifestyle that follows homosexuality. It is their civil right.

They do not choose to be gay, so why punish them for it?

And Toadman, there were messed up priests... do not hold that against the church though. The structure of the church is organized by humans and therefore has human faults (despite it is devinely inspired).

Well, I used to be a christian, but I never believed it was wrong. It's someones own choice what they want to do with their life. Just as long as they respect my heterosexuality, I'll respect their homosexuality or bisexuality.

okay, i think the same as dan. screw my long answer. there's an article on alternet about how homosexuality, from a scientific standpoint, is something of a freak accident. if you care, go look for it. i don't feel like looking for it.

I wonder what the "cause" of homosexuality is... they havent proved it yet. And if it is a genetic thing, how does it get passed through generation to generation if they do not reproduce heterosexually? Seems natural selection (charles darwin) would be against homosexuality too...

any answers?

in the article i mentioned... it says that what we do falls under 2 catagories and homosexuality doesn't fall under either.. i don't recall the catagories.

article on gays and darwinism: http://www.alternet.org/story/18437/ (note: i can defend the christian remark in the introduction)

i can't find the article i was talking about earlier. you know, the one i said i wasn't going to look for.

and since this was actually on 'homosexuals fighting for their faith', i think they are a bit mis-illusioned because i don't know of any religion that says homosexuality is right. i don't know much about religion, aside from christianity, but i know christianity is against it. which makes sense, seeing as homosexuality in itself helps no one.

Edited by Lauren_Atmore

I think that homosexuality isnt a persons fault. They didnt choose to be gay so its like racial discrimination. I think that they are people too and that they deserve the same rights as everyone else.

That said i am a christian and i belive that god loves everybody regardless of religon or sexual orientain or anything for that matter...whether or not your a muslim or a gay you should be givin a chance at heaven...jsut be a good person

That said im not that religous...thats just me views

Homosexuality is a natural occurence. Did anyone else hear about the gay penguins in a zoo? When did you choose your sexual orientation?

And to people who use the Bible to justify themselves, here's this little bit I found:

Dear Dr Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you however, regarding some of the specific laws and how best to follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

B) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:&. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanness (Lev. 15: 19 - 24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev 25: 44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

f) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

g) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev19:27. How should they die?

h) I know from Lev. 11:6 - 8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves.

i) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of threads (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24: 10 - 16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? Lev 20:14.

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging. Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.....Jack

Yep times do change. I dont agree with much of the bible or Christianity at all, however i still call myself a christian. Im not sure if this is a good thing or not but i jsut modifyed it to meet my own morals and such.

But if i was gonna really get into a religon i would have to pick one of the eastern religons like buddism or something. The reason why is becasue all they do is try to find "inner peace" and becasue i think that if the whole world followed something like that then there would be alot less suffering in the world.

WHat im trying to say is that if everybody strived to make the world a better place for all (like tebetian monks) then we would have a pretty good world to live in.

the old testiment had a covenant- an agreement. thats where all the sacrificing and stuff came about. however, because Jesus came there wasn't a reason to sacrifice anymore (Jesus being the ultimate sacrifice) so they developed a new covenant. this voids alot of stuff in the old testiment. anything thats not repeated in the new testiment can be taken with a grain of salt, however, i know the new testiment does say homosexuality is wrong, so that can't be ignored.

Think of the effect what would have happened if the religions of the world did not think homosexuality was wrong. Wouldn't more people try it out because they are less scared? I am uncertain of this...

I used to be pretty homophobic. Thankfully, I realised what an idiot I was, and now I have no problem at all with homosexuals, as long as they're not stupid about things. I treat them how I would any other person. Denying someone basic rights is wrong.

Screw what the bible says. Holy books can be interpreted in so many ways it's ridiculous, and impossible to pick a definite one.

There is nothing wrong with homosexuality as long as they respect our heterosexuality. I dont want some other guy to come along and try to pick me up. I wouldn't mind being friends... but nothing more.

im not homophobic at all. i have some good friends who are gay and frankly they are the nicest people i know. and i respect them, and they respect me.. but i know the truth... its hard to explain. im not trying to come off like i know everything, cause i don't.. and i know alot of people think that about us religious sorts so i try not to be like the others.. but its tough to show you what i mean without being aggressive.

Is there actually a passage in the bible that directly refers to homosexuality?

I am familiar with the story of Sodom and Gomorra (please forgive spelling), which refers to God destroying to twin cities for their many and repeated sins (which does actually make reference to homosexuality... or more accurately that men wish to 'know' other men)

Peace

If I'm not mistaken the homosexuality in the story of Sodom and Gomorra (I don't know how to spell it either) has something to do with the men in the cities wanting to sleep with the angels that came to visit them. And do you know how this situation was remedied? The "righteous" people offered the men their virgin daughters instead! (yes I am christian, but sometimes the bible is very confusing) I don't understand how homosexuality is so bad, but giving up your vigin daughters - oh that's fine. What i'm trying to say is that many people treat homosexuality like its the worst and most disgusting thing that they can think of when there are so many other things in this world that people should be concerned with instead.

Of course (in my opinion) it is not wrong... it is just another choice... why should it be wrong? it is a personal decision: either you like people of the other sex or you like people of your own sex (or both), you choose and people should be free to choose whatever he/she wants