RicardoObviouso

Funkin Computers

i have three internet windows open on one computer and three on the other. this one has outlook, nf and airmiles.ca

the other has two "work-stuff" websites running, and the airmiles.ca page.

on this screen its taking a FOREVER to load airmiles.ca website, but this PAGE takes no time at all. on my other screen the airmiles takes no time at all, but the other pages im viewing are doing a lot more in terms of information being transferred. i have two of the exact ame computer, yet one is loading the airmiles.ca page fast, how does this make sense?

Blue Screen Of Death.

Your problem could be based on any number of network or software issues. My own system occasionally gets an IE window just sitting there soaking up nearly 100% of the processor time, while not actually doing anything.

Pssh... I've had about 4 BSOD's in the last month.

When I get my computer upon graduation, it's going to be a Mac.

good choice! that's what i got for my graduation, and it has not failed me once!

My techie thoughts on these issues

Ok for the loading times, if you are not killing your internet bandwidth for the modem, and as you say they are both identical machines it sounds like you might have a spyware/malware issue on that computer. I would recommend trying to run, Adaware, spybot, and a free online virus scan, you can use this help site for this if you want the links. www.mountaincable.net/help

see if that helps at all. Firefox is fast last time I checked except when it came to first loading it, and you can get some plugins to improve functionality. I personally don't use IE anymore becasue it leads to my comp getting infected with lots of stuff. I use adblock with firefox so I also don't see alot of ads on sites anymore which also decreases load times and spyware.

As for the bluescreens of death issue, what version of windows are you running? it sounds odd, I haven't seen one of those in years and I try and run my comps into the ground with what I do...

Hopes this helps ;)

Edited by Icefire

i use firefox and safari...no point in me using IE...

safari was pissing me off because it wouldn't load something or other, so i got firefox because i used to use it on my old computer and it worked alright for me.

ever since i got this new computer (it's a new gateway with fancy dual processor shit), i've yet to have any kind of freeze or even delays. I find that turning it off occassionally works well, also.

Tried Firefox. Absolutely hated it. Overrated, hip piece of garbage.

i have three internet windows open on one computer and three on the other. this one has outlook, nf and airmiles.ca

the other has two "work-stuff" websites running, and the airmiles.ca page.

on this screen its taking a FOREVER to load airmiles.ca website, but this PAGE takes no time at all. on my other screen the airmiles takes no time at all, but the other pages im viewing are doing a lot more in terms of information being transferred. i have two of the exact ame computer, yet one is loading the airmiles.ca page fast,  how does this make sense?

Ok as an IT Support worker I actually deal with this kind of problem a lot.

1. What are the stats on your computer? (ie. CPU speed, amount of RAM...)

2. Do you have to sign into your network or just sign into your computer?

3. When was the last time you ran defragmentation on your computer?

4. When was the last time you ran Disk Cleanup on your computer? Or any other Virus/Spyware scanners?

5. What kind of network speed are you running? (ie. DSL, T1, Dial up *shudder*...)

6. Is it slow in general or just Internet?

Hope I can help you out...goodluck

Edited by Azalroth

Just blame demons, curse your computer, vow revenge against the wretched legions of the underworld and be done with it. That's what I do, and it usually seems to either work or immediately cause a catastrophic failure.

I use adblock with firefox so I also don't see alot of ads on sites anymore which also decreases load times and spyware.

Never heard of this adblock. How do i install/enable it?

As for the Firefox comments. It's not 'hip' or 'cool'. It's just better in my opinion. It's always good to try out new things if you're having problems. Everyone's preference is different. My fav feature is tabbed browsing. It's so much better than a million separate windows. And, not to mention the crapload of extensions you can't get for IE. So, have fun using IE.

Edited by Stu

On want basis are you guy's determining Firefox to be a memory hog.

There are many ways a program can use memory. In Firefox it is likely that code is compiled into the program, where IE uses dynamically linked libraries. The key here is that a how much memory a process takes in the windows task manager, may not reflect how much memory it does use.

There is also the concept of static loading and dynamic loading. IE may use dynamic loading to only have modules in memory that it immediately needs. This provides a smaller memory footprint, but if the program needs to deal with something that it doesn't currently have loaded, it will have to load that module.

Firefox's footprint is likely the result of both of these. Since Firefox is cross-platform, it probably isn't able to use as many of the windows API calls as IE can. This means that it has to implement these calls statically within the program.

explorer sucks firefox doesnt.... no competition

Thank you for bringing so much insight, now sit down and shut up until you are old enough to have a sane discussion.

Toadman:

I don't know if there is any point in saying any of this since you basically said that FF uses more memory and then gave all the reasons why, but...

(based on when I had not much RAM)

1) IE comes out of virtual memory faster

2) FF kicks more stuff into virtual memory

3) FF takes longer to start

Using these three indicators, which one is taking up more memory?

I also find that pages generally load faster on FF as well, but that sort of thing is pretty hard to measure.

Basically, I just don't find that FF has any feature over IE (7 especially) that I really need. If it did, I would probably suck it up about the memory issues and use it.

Toadman:

I don't know if there is any point in saying any of this since you basically said that FF uses more memory and then gave all the reasons why, but...

(based on when I had not much RAM)

1) IE comes out of virtual memory faster

2) FF kicks more stuff into virtual memory

3) FF takes longer to start

Using these three indicators, which one is taking up more memory?

Firstly, everything on your system is virtual memory. That OS 101 for you. It's actually a rather complex process that I would love to explain to you, but maybe later.

Second all three of your symptoms describe the same condition I was talking about earlier.

Yes, FF does use more memory. That is a fact. We cannot however judge it simply on that basis. IE is using just as much memory, if not more. The difference is that IE causes the system to load DLLs into memory. DLLs don't count as part of a processes footprint, so they don't show up. Windows will likely not unload these DLLs, so they stay resident slowing your system down overall.

Points about loading and unloading are a result of FF having static linked libraries and IE causing DLLs to be loaded. FF simply has most code in it.

Now there is one possible low level advantage to IE, DLLs are usually shared. That means when your processor does a context switch into another process, it may not have to fault the DLLs to disk. That means that there is more rapid switches. This isn't explicitly true though, since pages are only faulted when they are needed, so I would estimate the number of page faults to be about equal.

The bottom line of this argument is that you should use whatever browser you like best. There is no point arguing about which is better. Most of them have similar features, so it's all about whatever you're into.

Edited by ToadMan