Matt

Good Night And Good Luck

I loved it. The reason that they used black and white is because they wanted to use the actual footage of McCarthy, and if the rest of the film was in color, it would have been too weird to go to the B&W of McCarthy.

Well they could have just done the news segments in Black & White. But colour would have worked all the same too because it's not like film back in the day was in colour anyways, so when the show was airing it could have worked to have it in B&W and the rest in colour when they are not.

Cutting back and forth between color and B&W I always find really unnecessarily distracting, unless it's used for the plot, like Pleasantville. I think a good movie is a good movie, color or B&W. I think it definitely evokes a time period very quickly. Now I think back about it, I really can't imagine this movie in color, the same as Citizen Kane or Schindler's List.

Just saw it. I think it's pretty well done. The b&w wasn't at all a problem, I too thought it was appropriate given when it was set. I'm not a big fan of George Clooney (although it seems most everyone else is these days) but he did a good job with this one.

To me there didn't seem to be a deliberately strong lean in either direction. I think of the most important ideas stressed in there is political objectivity, and having an idea of what's right and wrong regardless of political climate.