Sim

Accoustic Tour 2006 (merged)

i really do hope that these shows out west are being bootlegged...

Tomorrow Edmonton will be covered with audio and video! I can only hope that the setlist is very similar to Lethbridge #1 as it was near (acoustic) perfection!

There used to be someone out in Vancouver who did shows (2003 Avalanche Tour was the last one?), but haven't heard any recent material. I know of a Calgary taper but because of his gear the shows are usually overpowered. Maybe he upgraded? It has been a while since we spoke. Other than that the West is wide open.

It seems that with each tour you do your own bootlegger marathon. I feel like I am letting Alberta down with only covering the Edmonton dates. If I travelled as far as you will next month I would be able to get all of Alberta and then some...that's determination Joe!

I have to apologize I don't remember the exact order of the set in Calgary tonight nor do I remember all that was played but if anyone can help me out and correct this:

Alert Status Red was the opening

Then in no particular Order:

Avalanche

Apparitions

Load Me Up

Strange Says

Fated

Symbolistic White Walls

Tripoli

Generation X Wing

Indestructible

Cant get shot in the back if you dont run,

Sort of a Protest Song,

The Fine Art of Falling Apart,

So Long Mrs. Smith,

In a world Called Catastrophe,

Empty Road

It's Been Awhile Since I Was Your Man

Edit: Hopeless

Primetime Deliverance

Edited by uglybutterfly

I'm going to the Edmonton show tomorrow night. I'm so excited that I'm not going to sleep tonight? I wish i had my mics back so i could audio record the show, but sadly their not. I will most definetly need a copy of the show.

Can't wait guys.

Nice setlist.

I was so surprised to see all the round tables with tablecloths on the floor with people seated around them and all the candles on the tables. I was under the impression that it would be standing only. That was a really nice change. It was like being in a small, intimate cocktail lounge. It was a great concert. Matt seemed relaxed and happy and talked a lot with the crowd.

I was surprised as well, I wasn't expecting it to be upstairs but it was nice. The atmosphere was definitely more mature than his usual shows.

The readings from the Worst Case Scenarios Handbook was a nice touch as well

ie: How to stop a speeding train - Find the emergency brake lever. Pull it.

He was definitely happier this time, unlike the other times he's played in Calgary. Really great set list, atmosphere, mood and sound. Good times!

"I feel, if you're going to go out...go out on an ATV."

Have to say, that was a damn fine show! Got to hear 4 songs I've been wishing to hear live for years now (Mrs. Smith, Sort of a protest song, Fated and Fine art of falling apart). He did seem to be really having a good time. Even though the token annoying drunk guy and annoying drunk girl were present, it didn't get out of hand. Has anyone ever heard of a 7 song encore?!

The token drunk guy and girl were right behind our table, and ended up hitting my friend in the head several times while they *danced* and swung around....chatting the whole time in loud obnoxious voices of course.

It was my 15th show, and I've never had a seven song encore before, but I have had several encores broken up...which amounts to the same but with less cheering and pauses in between (yay). My best friend broke into tears when he played PTD...it's our favorite song, and she missed the last tour so this was her first time hearing it live, and it was her 24th show, so she was excited.

I hadn't realized that it would be a seated event. This is the first time I've been able to sit and relax and enjoy the music at one of Matt's shows, and I must say it was very refreshing. Maybe I'm getting old, but the whole "stand and get thrashed around" thing just doesn't cut it for me these days. I noticed quite a few people being stopped at the door because they didn't have ID and I wondered if they'd never learned how to read.

All together, it was a great evening. I hope he continues with the trend of doing seated shows. I'd like to see him play a date at the Jack Singer with the CPO....maybe it'll come true someday:)

Oh, and can I just add: The Merch was very nice this time around. I like the t-shirt designs with the compass/guitar. I also picked up the signed art print. Hopefully I'll have some pictures up later today when I get home from work (if someone hasn't beat me to it), but I must say I like the merch line this time around.

Edited by Nearfantastica

Here's the set from the Calgary show, brought to you by the handy dandy notepad function of my cell phone:

Alert Status Red

Empty Road

In a World Called Catastrophe

Hopeless

Sort of a Protest Song

Can't Get Shot in the Back if you don't Run

So Long Mrs. Smith

Breath of a Nation

Avalanche

Generation X-Wing

Tripoli

Load Me Up

Apparitions

Encore

The Fine Art of Falling Apart

Strange Days

Fated

Prime Time Deliverance

Symbolistic White Walls

Indestructible

It's Been A While Since I Was Your Man

Ok, I can die happy now...

I thought it was probably the best show I've ever seen, and it was my eighth. I don't honestly know how he could top that.

Indestructible was freaking amazing. I didn't think it would translate so well on acoustic, but the way he did it was incredible.

Props to Melissa McClelland, she was pretty amazing in her own right. Managed to share a few words with her after her set, and she is totally cool and down to earth.

"It's Bossa Nova"

D

Here are some pictures I took of what I bought last night. The t-shirt is the men's and comes in black and chocolate brown. The guitar/compass design is vertical on the back of the shirt. The women's shirt is a nice wine red with the same design.

Alas, my concert photo's didn't turn out as well because I'm an idiot (and I was drunk) and apparently can't operate a digital camera, so if anyone has some decent photo's from the show last night, please share them.

post-2-1143159286.jpg

Yeah the Calgary show was fantastic. Matt seemed in really good spirits this time, and talked a lot with the audience. I thought his reaction to someone in the crowd requesting "South of Summer" was funny, and the Worst Case Scenario Handbook readings were good as well.

Melissa McClelland was brilliant, too. I really liked the little casio keyboard thing. "This is the Rumba".

All in all, excellent show.

Has anyone ever heard of a 7 song encore?!

Never!! I saw the paper set list in front of the guy doing the controls, and I think I saw only 3 songs listed in the encore, with Fated being the last song. That was awesome! He totally outdid himself last night.

All together, it was a great evening. I hope he continues with the trend of doing seated shows. I'd like to see him play a date at the Jack Singer with the CPO....maybe it'll come true someday:)

Oh, and can I just add: The Merch was very nice this time around. I like the t-shirt designs with the compass/guitar. I also picked up the signed art print. Hopefully I'll have some pictures up later today when I get home from work (if someone hasn't beat me to it), but I must say I like the merch line this time around.

I love seated shows. Yeah, I would like to see him play at the Jack Singer too with the CPO, just like The Tea Party did a while ago. That was a once in a lifetime experience. I never forget it.

I picked up an art print too. That was a pretty decent price for an autographed print: $15.

Edited by girl

After seeing Matt in both Lethbridge, and Calgary, we said it could not get any better. And yet once again the man has delivered the unthinkable.

First off let me say that the Edmonton Venue was terrific. The sound was great and it's always nice kicking back and relaxing. I can say that I have seen around 20+ shows of Matt's and I may say this was my all-time favorite.

First off- This acoustic solo tour suits Matt very well and I would be ok if he just continued to do this. He really looks like he is enjoying himself. I stood next to the sound booth in Calgary and there were only three songs on the encore list and he played 7. I think even the sound guys were surprised by how many he added.

Next- Truffle Pigs. Need I say more? Even though he admittedly stumbled through it, it was awesome to hear none the less. We have talked about that one for years and it was such a treat to be there for it.

Add to that, he played 20 songs.

Check this out:

Avalanche

Advertising on Police Cars

Alert Status

Empty Road

World called

Hopeless

Sort of a Protest

Shot in the back

Mrs.Smith

Gen. X

Tripoli

Load me up

Apparitions

Encore

Fine art

TRUFFLE PIGS

Strange days

Fated

Symbolistic

Indestructible

Primetime

Special Mention: World called catastrophe is a vocal masterpiece. Tripoli is so good acoustically, and the guitar modification to Indestructible is brilliant. Who ever thought we would hear Fated, or Fine art.

I think the Easterners are in for a real treat because I only think he is getting more comfortable in this setting and is getting better with each show.

So, Can it get any better? We