I believed all of that too, but then I talked to an engineer.

He's reliable, and he informed me that, in fact, we have at least 300 year's worth of oil left. Oil companies are simply underestimating on purpose so they can jack up their prices and such.

Edited by Mouko

thats not the first time ive read this info.. i do think its happening faster then we think. and i think whether its gonna happen in 30 years or 300, we need to start thinking about it now. we can't be dirty bastards and leave it up to our decendants, thats not cool.

The future is so mysterious... sometimes we focus too much on the bad things in the past and too much on the good things in the future. Does anyone else notice this happen... and if so why?

I'm sorry if this upset anyone. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted it, so if any of the mods want to remove this post then I really won't care.

Anyhoo.. this is still a very serious issue. I don't think very many people could make the lifestyle change from 2050 to 1850 very easily. What Mouko said seems very plausible too, but I personally think that a world without Big Oil would be a better world.

Certainly oil is very important in our exhistence... removing it would cause a lot of changes.

And of course you are allowed to post this man... nothing wrong with it that i can see. You even warned people which is cool ;)

Thanks :angry: I now realize not everyone is as gullible as me ;)

I think that it would be hilarious to beat the oil companies at their own game, to buy into the underestimating and stuff so that we could invent...say...a super efficient solar panel that can be hooked onto anything without a loss in power, reliability etc. Then we wouldn't need the oil as bad and us upper-lower-middle class types can have a good laugh at the expense of the Ken Lays and Dick Cheneys of the world. Ah, what a life that would be.

Unfortunately Big Oil will be the cause of our demise. The technology and ideas have been around for the past 20 years of developing clean alternatives. Big Oil has stopped all the research at every turn. When there is no more oil, even though we have the technology, and concepts, the lack of electricity will hinder research and manufacture. It's not as bad as it seems though: Electric vehicles do exist, and have been proven very effective (the entire british rail system is electric, not to mention french bullet trains). Once the world stigma about nuclear power disappears (which would happen rapidly in a post oil world), then power generation becomes a none issue. All in all, the decline of oil will result is a cleaner environment.

As a side note, the loss of oil will only effect us in our vehicles (Canada has a lot of green power). You do have to consider though: even though we see this problem, we are still wasteful of oil. Think how many kilometers you drive a month.

Peace

We're ruined but we're still building...

The fact is, there are massive oil reserves still on Earth, we just need the technology to reach them. As we develop better drilling techniques, we'll just keep harvesting the oil wells we haven't tapped into yet. However, prices will rise, because oil companies are inherently greedy and stupid. Oil company dominance is ridiculous, but there's really no way to get rid of it.

Oil and oil control was what start most of the wars in the world... the best example? Irak and what Bush - and some others, including my ex-president - has done there... sad and depressing... i hate money and how much it may control

I don't think that we need to take all that we are consuming, not with all of the renewable methods of energy out there.

If oil went up to $20 a litre over the next few years how many people would be driving then? What will it take to get people to want to choose a better way?

I like my bike... but I have a flat tire... and it's a slow leak.

It's bleeding hard to ride your bike in 35 degrees, with a humidex to 42.

I must go buy a new bike wrench so I can get my rear tire off and replace the inner tube... Any body know what I can do with a dead inner tube, I feel it's wasteful to throw away all that rubber.

Peace

i don't go anywhere, and if i was somehwere hwere it was offered, you bet i'd take public transportation. nevermind that i'd have to being as i can't drive... yet.

i got the book yesterday. i had a tramatic experience in the book store.

By the way... I just typed this up for another forum, and figured you guys might find it interesting too.

No, a reliable engineer who's worked in the oil industry for a long time told me. The fact is, we have enough oil to last at least 400 more years, and probably in excess of that if we start to drill in Antarctica and such. Technology is advancing all the time, and we regularly develop more effective ways to drill for oil. Let me explain with some ASCII:

--- = Rock

*** = Oil

III = Drill

= = Pipeline

============III

----------------------III-----

**************III*** With current technology, we can drill

**************III*** this deep.

-------------------------

****************** With further technological advances, we

****************** can reach further.

-------------------------

****************** And further, and further...

All the time, we're discovering more oil deposits deeper down in the earth's crust. We just can't reach them yet. As we develop better drilling techniques and machinery, we'll be able to reach them and extract them with ease.

Now, I believed the peak oil theory wholeheartedly until this was explained to me, and I'm a very stubborn person. Oil companies can overestimate oil production on purpose to increase profits by raising the prices, since most people think oil will run out soon. It'd be nice if we could just stop messing about with war and start making some kind of decent renewable energy, mind you.

Edited by Mouko