wmarskell

Hurt.

Pretty sad that a country junkie by the name of Johnny Cash is more respected than Trent Reznor's version. By golly, why is that?

I'd have to say it's due to the fact he was in the industry for over half a century, you don't hang around that long on luck.

Here's the thing about Hurt:

Hurt is a phenomenal song. It's sad, it's beautiful, I dare say it's a song that I hear played and it genuinely breaks my heart a little to hear it.

The thing about a great song like that, is that no matter who plays it, the song will always be great. Trent Reznor achieved a lot simply by being the one who created it in the first place. I think to compare covers of it is somewhat silly, because it's just people going out and singing a song that they enjoyed.

I like all three versions of it, and especially loved the quality that the duet between Melissa and Matt brought to it. But no matter who is singing it, it will never stop being a great song.

No, longevity in a business that finds the next big thing to sell the public everyday does. I'm not saying NIN has no talent, I like alot of their stuff, I'm saying Cash is a fixture in the music industry forever. Another 50 years go by, people will know of Cash, will they remember NIN, your thoughts.

No, longevity in a business that finds the next big thing to sell the public everyday does.  I'm not saying NIN has no talent, I like alot of their stuff, I'm saying Cash is a fixture in the music industry forever.  Another 50 years go by, people will know of Cash, will they remember NIN, your thoughts.

Trent Reznor brought industrial music into the mainstream--of course NIN will be remembered.

Johnny Cash will be a fixture of the country music scene forever. But if Cash never covered Hurt, I do not think he would have been praised by "casual fans" (not implying that you are one) for being a legend. We would have been disappointed with his death but not think further into it. Rick Rubin was a big part of Cash's success and managed to get Cash's Hurt spinned into MTV rotation (the pinnacle of mainstream media)--consequently, he began to be nominated for many award shows.

I just don't see the hype of his material in our demographic besides the influences of the conglomerate industries in the music business today.

Edited by Shortcut To Moncton

Pretty sad that a country junkie by the name of Johnny Cash

Not to attack Reznor, but if we are going to label Cash as a junkie, we should also mention a little thing called herion. As far as the cover of Hurt goes I agree full-heartedly that the NIN version will always be the best, but the Cash version isn't exactly destroying the song

I don't think people listen to him because of hype, atleast I don't. I find the material very raw and stripped down. The way the songs portray or tell a story is what captivates people. I still believe that he was one of the best at doing that.

No, longevity in a business that finds the next big thing to sell the public everyday does.  I'm not saying NIN has no talent, I like alot of their stuff, I'm saying Cash is a fixture in the music industry forever.  Another 50 years go by, people will know of Cash, will they remember NIN, your thoughts.

Trent Reznor brought industrial music into the mainstream--of course NIN will be remembered.

Johnny Cash will be a fixture of the country music scene forever. But if Cash never covered Hurt, I do not think he would have been praised by "casual fans" (not implying that you are one) for being a legend. We would have been disappointed with his death but not think further into it. Rick Rubin was a big part of Cash's success and managed to get Cash's Hurt spinned into MTV rotation (the pinnacle of mainstream media)--consequently, he began to be nominated for many award shows.

I just don't see the hype of his material in our demographic besides the influences of the conglomerate industries in the music business today.

I hate to tell you, but Cash was winning awards much before this.

...awards directed towards the teen demographic.

Awards directed to the teen demographic are crap. How does that judge an artists ability? I like both NIN and Cash, but if you're looking at their careers, Cash has done a better and more extensive body of work.

Awards directed to the teen demographic are crap.  How does that judge an artists ability?  I like both NIN and Cash, but if you're looking at their careers, Cash has done a better and more extensive body of work.

Awards directing towards the teenage demographic was what I was referring to in my "being nominated in many awards now" part. Yes, awards shows like the MTV Video Music Awards showcase the true depth of artists' abilities as genuine musicians. *cough*

The thing is that Cash isn't extensive as you'd think. He doesn't have a broad range of musical diversity--he just...well, stuck to his roots at country/western & folk music. Of course, it's all a matter of taste but calling Trent Reznor's thick, multi-layered tracks "not as extensive" as Cash's southern guitar plucks is going a little overboard.

Enough is enough...my bed awaits.

Edited by Shortcut To Moncton

You can think of overboard if you want, but please forgive me for not thinking of Reznor as a ' musical genius'. Don't get me wrong, I like his music, but Cash broke down more musical boundries than a lot of musician's out there. At least give him some credit.

edit: spelling

Edited by matrix

i agree with several of your points, i will admit myself that i'm not a huge Johnny Cash fan, and didn't take much stock in him until American IV (which is a great record, even though the majority of it is covers) but i love his cover of hurt, and it has just as much relevance to me as Reznor's version (which is also very good), if not moresoe. Considering the context of the song, and the video, i can understand why many people like it more than the original, For me, Cash's Hurt is maybe the only example of a cover besting the original, again i say maybe. But i think its fair for people to say Cash's version is better, as again, music is subjective, there's no right or wrong, and its obvious Hurt was covered for its relevance to his life, the video paints this picture very clear (the video is fuckign awesome by the way). It is also very fair to say Reznor's is the best., again its a matter of personal opinion.

being a nin fan since 1994, cash fan since 1998, matt good fan since 1997 and seen nin and matt good perform this i'll definitely say that nothing and i mean nothing will beat the original of this song, it's been one of the top 5 songs for me for over a decade, and there is so much meaning. needless to say in saskatoon on the 25th i almost rushed the stage when i thought i heard him say that it was a johnny cash song, it's a good thing the acoustics in Louis' sucks and couldn't hear him clearly talking. If you're gonna cover a song make sure you credit it right ok, that's all.

driftinginfluence-

I do agree that Cash's version is better, another example I believe is Headstones covering Tweeter and the Monkey Man. I think it surpasses The Travelling Wilburys original. But then again that's just my opinion.

Edited by stephen