Stu

Original Weapon

The thought-provoking test was more egotistical than thought provoking. Sum 41 does songs these that are "thought-provoking" or political or whatever you want to call it, however, they usually don't take themselves too seriously in their videos. Which is perhaps why they are so much more successful than Matthew Good because they find a happy medium.

I'd say the majority of his videos up until his solo work were of the "not taking it too seriously" variety and the ones that were meant to be serious with a message were absolutely fantastic (Apparitions).

Given the tone of the song and the artist he's become I think he's got all the room to put out a pretentious video like Weapon he likes.

And, of course, "In Too Deep" is probably a little more accessible to the listening public than "Weapon."

That's why you balance out the pretentious videos with ones like Rico.

Anything but a pretentious video for a song as pretentious as Weapon wouldn't feel right to me, just like an overly serious video would make no sense for Rico.

Well put. I'd rather a pretentious or a silly video than something completely cookie-cutter as far as music videos go.

I really liked the angel and devil flashing beside matt at the beginning but overall I don't think this video suited the song as well as matt's version did. I find the mainstream version to be more powerful with the slowmotion shots and the text in the video, it makes me want to watch it over and over until I have caught every little piece of the video.

Maybe I missed something, but what exactly is pretentious about the song "Weapon"? I don't get that feeling at all from that song - it isn't trying to be anything. What definition of pretentious are we using for this debate (to make sure we are talking about the same thing...)?

Ahh..memories...

I remember that shoot...matt was getting frustrated, understandably so, because it was taking forever and people didn't have things set up right..I left in the afternoon but I heard it went on well into the morning...