Shiri

Matthew Good Musical Tribute

I'm not sure where to post this so move this if you think this isn't the right place.

Lately, I've came across a lot of tribute and cover albums and collections, some made by professionals, some by fans. So I've been thinking, perhaps we could create something really fun and cool here on the bored.

I know that a lot of people here play instruments, play in bands and are involoved with music. So I thought maybe we could gather as Matthew Good (Band) fans and make a little covers project just for the fun of it.

We can also create some sort of a collective from all around the world which I think could be really cool. Someone can record vocals while someone else records guitar and other instruments and then someone will mix it all together. It can be a lot of fun and the results can turn out to be quite interesting and cool if you ask me.

I've seen this done on several other message boards so I think this can work. Now, who's interested? If enough people will be interested, I have no problem of organizing the whole thing myself.

Why shouldn't it work? We'll make a list of people wanting to participate and their instruments. Then each person will pick a song so there won't be repeats. Every person will record their part at the best quality possible (probably won't be that good but at least clear) and I'm sure someone hear knows a little about mixing.

Also, people can just record a song or two on their own and we'll make a compliation out of it ;)

Edited by designate

i would definately do it

in fact, i've tried to get people from this board to do it, but they havent.

Meg, together we're invinsible so it's definitely going to happen!

Okay guys, that's great. Now everyone pick a song they'd like to do so we won't get the same song twice or more. And then we'll start setting things up.

I think I'm gonna do Strange Days or So Long Mrs. Smith.

Edited by designate

My band could probably scrap together The Future is X-Rated. As a matter of fact I think I have a track of us doing it live. It goes alright until the end when the drummer forget when to stop so he stopped intermittently. I'll see if I can get a clip up somewhere.

The problem with these types of things is that most of the participants try to make things sound as close to the original as they can.

In my opinion, if you're going to cover something, even if it's for a tribute album, you have to put your own spin on it. Change the instrumentation, the tempo, the overall mood, anything to make it your own.

Unless of course you're a cover band... then your job is likely to be as close to the original artist as possible.

that's a wicked idea, i was gonna mention this awhile back but didn't for some stupid reason. One request: no one touch Rabbits or fine art. I am already in the process of recording Giant, so i may contribute that, i've been working on an acoustic version of that for awhile, me and Noise Pollution (if he'd get his act together). Other than that maybe Tuffle Pigs or Rat, but i'm hesistant to touch those two either, too personal and amazingly good.

Edited by driftinginfluence