Shiri

Matthew Good Musical Tribute

The problem with these types of things is that most of the participants try to make things sound as close to the original as they can.

In my opinion, if you're going to cover something, even if it's for a tribute album, you have to put your own spin on it. Change the instrumentation, the tempo, the overall mood, anything to make it your own.

Unless of course you're a cover band... then your job is likely to be as close to the original artist as possible.

I completely agree. That's why I like changing the songs I cover a bit, not making them sound completely like they are. Just sing them in my own way.

Btw, I decided I'm going to do Strange Days so So Long Mrs. Smith is up for grabs.

Glad to see so many people are interested ;)

Guest Prosis
I CANT DO IT BY MYSELF SO I NEED SOMEONE WHO PLAYS GUITAR OR PIANO OR SOMETHING!

What song do you want to do, I'll see what I can do if acoustic's alright for you ;)

that's a wicked idea, i was gonna mention this awhile back but didn't for some stupid reason. One request: no one touch Rabbits or fine art. I am already in the process of recording Giant, so i may contribute that, i've been working on an acoustic version of that for awhile, me and Noise Pollution (if he'd get his act together). Other than that maybe Tuffle Pigs or Rat, but i'm hesistant to touch those two either, too personal and amazingly good.

God another cover.........I'll get my act together when you record some decent original materiel. Anyways if I were to do one tune it would be the Inescapable Us!

Edited by noise_pollution

Guest Prosis
I'm game. My band will throw a song together!

Will you do I The Throw Away, Sort of a Protest Song or All Together ;)

Sorry 'bout that :angry:

that's a wicked idea, i was gonna mention this awhile back but didn't for some stupid reason. One request: no one touch Rabbits or fine art. I am already in the process of recording Giant, so i may contribute that, i've been working on an acoustic version of that for awhile, me and Noise Pollution (if he'd get his act together). Other than that maybe Tuffle Pigs or Rat, but i'm hesistant to touch those two either, too personal and amazingly good.

God another cover.........I'll get my act together when you record some decent original materiel. Anyways if I were to do one tune it would be the Inescapable Us!

inescapable us? you couldn't play that staright through without fucking up, you can't play anythign straight through without fucking up, i always have to carry the song, you got no rythym dave-o, no style.

I totally respect the whole 'please don't do this song' thing BUT I really want to do fine art. I transpose it all wierd and play it all open chords and stuff. It doesn't sound very much like the original. So I promice I won't butcher it.

I call Fine art or You are Here.

I won't do fine art if lots of people are opposed.

PS Out of Style would be sick!!!!

Edited by glo

no worries man, don't let me stop you, if the song means a lot to you , by all means do it,

if anyone can play piano decently and wants to do a piano version of a song with me let me know, i f you play it in midi i can run it through a grand paino synth and it would sound pretty good, or whatever

a piano version of tripoli would be good, most mg would sound good on piano frankly

EDIT: spelling

Edited by driftinginfluence

I think I've got a decent enough acoustic version of My Out Of Style Is Coming Back down on my guitar that sounds different enough from the original. I'll record it tomorrow and have it up. I'd do it tonight but I've got a mid-term in the morning and I've procrastinated on studying for it enough.

Okay people, this is great. Everyone who has their song recorded, please PM me. We'll figure a way to transfer it, we'll organize the whole album, maybe with some cover art and stuff like that and then I'll upload it all together somewhere everyone can download it.

inescapable us? you couldn't play that staright through without fucking up, you can't play anythign straight through without fucking up, i always have to carry the song, you got no rythym dave-o, no style.

Yeah I guess my guitar abilties are about on par with your vocal and song wrting abilties, ie not very fucking good! Why don't you go cry in your room and write somemore love songs. Blah Blah my gf left blah blah, repeat, etc...