skysosmrt

Last Record With Universal

Matt will be free from Universal soon as I believe his contract has him needing to do one more album. I'm thinking, he should do some sort of live performance/DVD to obligate but to catch his live act. They should have recorded the "In a Coma" tour with the whole band but I also think it would be awesome if his solo tour was recorded. Like if there was this one-off performance and maybe get some guests (i.e. Holly McNarland for the "viking" song).

the other wicked thing would be to do something with the VSO and do songs like "Weapon", "Avalanche", etc.

anyone know what plans Matt has for the next record?

mod edit: changed title to "last record with universal" to make thread more general

Personally I find myself always going back to B.M. or A.O.B., even though he's said in the past he didn't like AOB I think it's one of his best. I was at the show in Barrie the other night...the crowd goes wild for songs from these two albums, or older albums...but the newer stuff...I hear nothing but people talking during it.

I really believe he's on the downslope of his musical career. So my guess is his last album will be like avalance, or WLRR. And after that, he'll slowly disappear.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guys music, but he hit a peak back in the Beautiful Midnight days, as soon as the band split up...something was lost. Maybe he needs to be miserable to make the same kind of music, I don't know.

But no one can deny his popularity has deminished over the years, and it doesn't help that he's regarded and a difficult person to work with.

It would be nice to go with the mood Avalanche had, but none of his records sound the same.  The closest would be AOB and Avalanche in production quality simply.

production wise, those albums are like the north and south pole, in my opinion

although i do see where you're coming from - avalanche was hands down his greatest work yet from a production standpoint. warne did a fantastic job.

Edited by sawgr

beautiful midnight and audio of being are my two favorites, by far.

but, matt isnt in the mood to make that dark, tragic music he's so damn good at.

so i dont know where he has to go.

there is no market for happy matthew good, and even though im a big fan, it doesn't really compare.

No matter what style he goes with, I end up loving it all the same. And I can see him dropping the music thing after his contract's up, but then all he has is going into politics, and I don't think he'd be able to work with the jackasses in governments these days.

It's all speculation anyway. ;)

He'll likely stick to music as it's highly unlikely that he'd try to run for any sort of political office. He may be an activist and have an opinion on world politics, but that won't necessarily count towards anything in the vote.

I'm thinking he'll get signed to another label or possibly get a 1 album contract with Universal again.

he seems to be a really fustrated person. obviously i dont know him or enough to really judge him. but hearing is voice over the past few years all i really here is doubt. it has to be hard going from such a huge artist then having it all diminish right before his eyes. i dont hold any animosity he has towards people against him, in a way he earned it. right now hearing songs like "shes in it for the money" makes me feel like hes really hurt inside. having the feeling of no control is horrible. he needs a rest wether we like it or not. and in my opinion hes one of the greatest artists of our time. maybe what i just said is aboslutely wrong, but who knows... i just hope he makes this album at a point where it wont totally drain him.

Personally I find myself always going back to B.M. or A.O.B., even though he's said in the past he didn't like AOB I think it's one of his best. I was at the show in Barrie the other night...the crowd goes wild for songs from these two albums, or older albums...but the newer stuff...I hear nothing but people talking during it.

I really believe he's on the downslope of his musical career. So my guess is his last album will be like avalance, or WLRR. And after that, he'll slowly disappear.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guys music, but he hit a peak back in the Beautiful Midnight days, as soon as the band split up...something was lost. Maybe he needs to be miserable to make the same kind of music, I don't know.

But no one can deny his popularity has deminished over the years, and it doesn't help that he's regarded and a difficult person to work with.

I have to respectfully disagree. Although some of my favourites are from MGB records, I find Avalanche and WLRRR to be amazing albums, full of beautifully written and socially relevant songs; not to mention great music. There is a maturity and depth there that surpasses earlier work. As well, for an audiophile, they are of better sound quality than the MGB ones.

I like both MG periods. I like the MGB stuff and I like the solo stuff. But I am very happy with the current direction and see great things in his future, in terms of music quality anyway.

Don't forget, popularity and quality are not the same thing, and it may be the case that he does not have as many casual fans as in the late 1990s, but that is not as a result of the quality of his later music, but instead a factor of marketing and fickle teenage music tastes (artificially created) which drive the music industry. Even limiting ourselves to Canada, there are dozens of bands getting radio airplay who can't come close to Matt in quality of their music. They're more popular, but so what?

The only down side to this, of course, is to Matt's pocket book, however, he doesn't strike me as someone in it to be rich. Besides, less popularity lets fans like us see him in small venues and not in arenas where it is all about the show and not the music.

I do not think he is "on the downslope" of his career. The MGB sound may be over, but he is just at the dawn of his solo career, and that has been excellent so far. I am looking forward to the next few albums... ;)

It would be nice to go with the mood Avalanche had, but none of his records sound the same. The closest would be AOB and Avalanche in production quality simply.

It would be awesome if it sounded like avalanche, but i agree that it probably won't sound like any of his albums, cause his albums don't sound all that much alike - especially the last two. I don't wanna hear another WLRRR. There were some decent songs on there, but nothing that blew me away like avalanche.

Also, the previous post says exactly what i feel about the post stating that MG is on the downslope. He's not (at least i hope), and i hope that the next album will be a true indicator of that.