i_the_throw_away

Responses While Mentioning Matthew Good

Anyone else Experience any of These Responses??  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Anyone else Experience any of These Responses??

• Matthew Who??
    • He's Still Around??
    • I Hear He's Such an Ass!
    • Isn't he the loser who started trashing Our Lady Peace??
    • Ohh I Love Dave Matthews(Band)
    • Yeah I know him...you like that music (confusing MG(B) with Dave Matthews Band).

Most people I talk to have no idea that the Matthew Good Band has ceased to be. "Oh yeah, you like the Matthew Good band, ya I don't know much abou them."

On a side note, people seem to somehow peg me as a Matthew Good listener. Onetime on a bus and aquaintance was listening to headphones. I asked her what she was listening to, and it turned out to be apparitions, and she sais, "you must be a matt good fan right?" We'd never talked about music before, she just came out with this comment. Similare things have happened before.

Ok. I voted "Matthew who?", because - well - i live in America.

But, i too have heard that "Matthew Good is a real asshole". But not from anyone i've told that I listen to Matt Good. No, the only place i've really heard it is from the internet, this forum, and Matt himself.

So, if someone could enlighten the non-Canadian, i would be much obliged. Why is Matt Good a real asshole? or why is that the perception?

The band's 1997 album Underdogs spawned the hit singles "Everything is Automatic" and "Apparitions", the latter of which remains the band's most successful single. Good's political outspokenness and brash confidence were unusual in the Canadian rock scene of the 1990s, and he was soon recognized as much for his seemingly difficult disposition as for his musical talent. As a nod to his reputation, Good sold t-shirts that read "I Hear Matt Good Is a Real Asshole" at MGB shows. He also maintained a subversive image, sometimes posing for publicity photos in a gorilla mask.
- Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Good

Seeing as I'm in NY I initially got the "You mean Dave Matthews Band?" responses from friends but eventually got it through their thick heads that I was talking about someone else.

Now if people haven't heard of him and I say he's my favorite musician they give me a "WHO?" and I say, "Exactly, he's this Canadian guy."

I've successfully turned no fewer than 6 people into huge fans, though, and have gotten dozens to at least listen.

I'm a New Yorker too and have turned more than a dozen people on to him. Just hand someone one of his CDs and they're immediately hooked.

I still can't understand why Matt Good does not have more acclaim in the States (outside of places like Buffalo, where I grew up). I know that his record label tried to push him in America when Beautiful Midnight came out but didn't have much luck. I just think it it was done right he could be HUGE here. Many other Canadian acts (Nickelback being one good example) have managed to break over and have big success in the States that aren't even that good. Either Matt intentionally does not want all of the fame, or his management team is just plain incompetent because I think his music would have tremendous appeal to the American audience. Would be a nice change to all of the canned music here.

I think it's our responsibilities as fans to spread the word about the real Matthew Good. He's not the same guy now who the media misrepresented in the past as being difficult, or an asshole. Sure, he's outspoken, but his opinions are highly researched and he's passionate about what he believes in. I admire his devotion to what he believes in and it's hard these days to find artists that take a stand on an issue and verbalize their believes. Music shouldn't be about saying what the general (uneducated) public will agree with, which is what most pop artists seem to do. I admire Matt for his opinions. People who don't like Matt and his music, probably just aren't smart enough to appreciate intelligent, creative music.

i have never experienced the dave matthews band confusion.

when people hear i like matt good they kind of look at me funny and are surprised, he's the most "main-stream" thing i listen to.

then i tell them they're mistaken and insist in sending them a billion songs so they can see his deverse and sexy sound.

A lot of people say he's "gay" because "he has gay lyrics" "I'm flllyin over the ocean and the treees are floowing" .

I've heard a couple people mock his singing style, emphasizing the tremolo in his voice. " the fu-u-u-u-ture is x-ra-a-a-te-e-e-d ".

Most of the time they also go, "I like apparitions.". or, "is he the guy that sings that song, Aaaaaa paaa riiiii tionsss"

I can actually understand that. whisper singing is very much a part of his style. that's when you control the outtake of your air to get that whisper effect.

viking 7 is probably an exaggerated version of that, but you know what I mean.

i have never experienced the dave matthews band confusion.

I often get the dave matthews confusion. I dont understand it at all. A friend once gave me a Dave Matthews sticker as a present... and i was like, ugh... thanks.

Yes, both artists have "Matthew" in the name somewhere, but they don't exactly sound alike or anything. There are many artists with the name "Dave" too...

o_O

i just don get it