Moonlight_Graham

Conservs. Blocking Media Dead Soldiers' Arrival

I don't get why not lowering the flag is even an issue. It cheapens the act to do it every time a soldier dies in war. It's war; that's what happens. We didn't do it during any other war we have taken part in so why is it an issue now? The media can be lame sometimes.

Although I still believe they should have access to these cermonies. Not only does it provide opportunity to mourn but it also gives people a bit more of an idea exactly what war costs a nation. Whether this cost is justified or not, people still really need to be aware and see for themselves exactly what they are supporting or protesting.

The media is quick to list the names of people who die on the news every time it happens (sometimes for days in a row), and I think that is the public's opportunity to learn about it.

These ceremonies are for the families, and the public, and the media, have to right to be there. Try to be in the shoes of those soldiers loved ones.

I am trying, and I wouldn't want a crapload of people, that don't even really care about my loved one, there making some kind of specticle out of it

I don't get why not lowering the flag is even an issue. It cheapens the act to do it every time a soldier dies in war. It's war; that's what happens. We didn't do it during any other war we have taken part in so why is it an issue now? The media can be lame sometimes.

Although I still believe they should have access to these cermonies. Not only does it provide opportunity to mourn but it also gives people a bit more of an idea exactly what war costs a nation. Whether this cost is justified or not, people still really need to be aware and see for themselves exactly what they are supporting or protesting.

The media is quick to list the names of people who die on the news every time it happens (sometimes for days in a row), and I think that is the public's opportunity to learn about it.

These ceremonies are for the families, and the public, and the media, have to right to be there. Try to be in the shoes of those soldiers loved ones.

I understand where you're coming from and I've thought a lot about the position of the families but isn't the initial ceremony public? I would have to say that I don't support the media to be present during the funeral.

In all honesty, I'm starting to think I may be misinformed... How do these ceremonies work? I'm relatively young so I haven't had a lot of opportunity to witness what was formerly practiced. I also have never really watched much television at all in my lifetime. I was researching on the internet to inform myself before I even started postin in this thread and what I had found was that the soldier's basically arrive and there's a regular ceremony to honour their sacrifice that the public can attend and then there's the military funeral for the families. I understand that before the media was involved with everything and all of these events were televised and now they're not allowed to have any part in it.

I didn't get that information from the government website but it's the only information I could find. Is this accurate because as far as I'm concerned it's kinda hard to refuse the media access when the public is welcome. Is this how it works or am I totally misinformed 'cause I don't see how televising a public ceremony is disrespectful to the families...

Edit: Bad Grammar I realize but I was in too much of a hurry to write properly. Sorry if it's difficult to follow.

Edited by Monochrome Rainbow

From what I understand, what the media were barred from was the arrival of the soldiers' caskets from Afghanistan at the CFB where they were landing. The funeral isn't the issue here.

Yeah, from what I understood the funeral wasn't an issue. There's nothing special that takes place at the CFB that would warrant a barring would there? Once they arrive are they immediately taken to another location? Are the families typically present when the caskets arrive in Canada?

I'm totally clueless when it comes to this practice so I want to be as informed as possible.

Unless you consider receiving your son's or daughter's casket nothing special. I really have no problem with the repatriation ceremony being closed off to the public. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to deal with that, and then have cameras pointed on you for the evening news.

Also, the state does lower the flag to pay tribute to our fallen soldiers every November 11.

Unless you consider receiving your son's or daughter's casket nothing special. I really have no problem with the repatriation ceremony being closed off to the public. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to deal with that, and then have cameras pointed on you for the evening news.

Also, the state does lower the flag to pay tribute to our fallen soldiers every November 11.

Do we know whether the family's for the years previous had a problem with people recording the ceremony? I think that it should be at the families discretion, not at the whim of any government.

If you were the soldier being brought back, would you want the people to honour you for your service? I know I would. The troops in BC are tying yellow bands to trees because the flags can't be lowered to half-mast. Something isn't right with this decree.