Links234

Gym/working Out

This is the only pic I have of myself without a shirt on. My pecs and traps are pretty nice in my humble opinion, but my arms could use a bit more mass.

Edit: Also, does anyone have any tips for getting over my bench plateau? I've been stuck at the same max for waaaay too long now.

Isolate your forearms and I guarantee you will increase your bench weight by 10-20 pounds atleast in just a couple weeks. I can tell that you dont work them out, but that's normal. I see all these people with ripped biceps and no forearms, I don't get it. It;s like people forget they are muscles.

not only will you increase your bench weight, but EVERY other arm exercise. grip strength is important, you'll be surprised.

do wrist curls for your flexor and extensor muscles on a bench with barbells.(read arnolds book if you dont know how). strip the weight and kill them. your forearms are like your calves, high tolerance, and annoying to workout. if you want them to grow you need to keep going, even though it stings like a bitch.

since you need to do a "first" workout, you'll make huge gains to start with. I bet you;ll increase your bench weight by as much as 40 or 50 pounds in a month or two.

I'm addicted to the gym and running. running for hours, it's the greatest feeling. and pushing yourself beyong where you thought you could go. it's great for health, fun, and for building discipline.

I'll vouch for that ;) .

I really haven't had any time to do any exercising lately, but when I do I love to see how far I can go. It's a wonderful challenge.

Remember those "Beep Tests" at school? I always had a love-hate relationship with them. They were quite draining at times, but after they were done, I always felt a sense of accomplishment and usually did quite well on them. I miss high school gym class, actually. I've recently joined a gym and am absolutely addicted to it. Going there and running the shit out of the treadmill is such a great destresser.

i lost 35 lbs in grade 12 when i had mono and almost 6 years later still havent got it all back.

i just noticed you said 35. Holy fuck boy, it's a good thing you didn't gain it all back if you could afford to lose that much in the first place.

How'd you get mono?

i was 185 in grade 12. 6'1", and basically no fat... at this point i was on my way to play semi-pro hockey in the summer after i graduated. i was in pretty good shape, but then i went down to 150 during the bout with mono and now im in at around 175-180, 6 years later.

i got it from the girls. its funny because this one chickie i was pretty much in love with decided to break up with me, and i knew her best friend wanted me, so i let her have me, and then i went to a party two nights later and let another girl have me and then on monday i couldnt move very good, and while waiting for a buddy at another buddy's house, i fell asleep on the sidewalk... and thats when i knew something was wrong.

needless to say i had three girls calling my house the following week asking me for symptoms.

Edited by one_trick_pony

haha hilarious....we make fun of one of the guys in rez who got Mono. He went out to pick up, scored with some chick after going to her place, ended up with Mono. Basically ruined his schooling because of it, but man this guy has a horseshoe up his ass because he still seems to be doing great in school even though he missed an exam.

Still make fun of him about the Mono though...

i was sick from october to may and i still graduated with honours.

...and then 3 months after that signed a two year contract with milano vipers.

my first day back, one of my instructors said "hey evan... did you get any of that homework done that i sent you?" and i said "no. i was sleeping 22 hours a day" and he says "you're dirty. you're dirtier than a dirtbag's wife." i'll never forget it.

I'm addicted to the gym and running. running for hours, it's the greatest feeling. and pushing yourself beyong where you thought you could go. it's great for health, fun, and for building discipline.

I'll vouch for that ;) .

I really haven't had any time to do any exercising lately, but when I do I love to see how far I can go. It's a wonderful challenge.

Remember those "Beep Tests" at school? I always had a love-hate relationship with them. They were quite draining at times, but after they were done, I always felt a sense of accomplishment and usually did quite well on them. I miss high school gym class, actually. I've recently joined a gym and am absolutely addicted to it. Going there and running the shit out of the treadmill is such a great destresser.

that's exactly where I got addicted to running. we had to do the "shuttle-run", or, "beep test" in school aswell. I was pretty much a fat kid when I entered college, but I trained for the test. In less than 6 months I was in the top 4 or 5 in my class. I went from running 5.5 to 11 in less than 6 months.

I'll vouch for that ;) .

I was good at them, so I always like doing them, although I didn't really get into running until I started training to run the Super Run in the Manitoba Marathon in grade 6. Good times.

was the shuttle run the one where you had to run to the cone, then back to the line, then to a further cone, then back to the line, etc?

if so, i remember doing that in gym class and my buddy thought that all you had to do was beat the guy next to you, so he went hard for the first couple relays then basically jogged the rest of the way because he was kicking ass. it was hilarious to watch.

I sucked at gym. Especially because they basically graded you on your physical fitness, when they'd always feed you the bullshit about how you'd be marked on participation and showing up to class.

Although my gym teacher did used to play in the CFL.

I need a cheap, not too difficult way to shape up. Mainly to loose weight and gain some muscle. Any ideas?

walk every where. build yourself a wobble board and use milk jugs full of water like you'd use free weights.

you can build a wobble board out a piece of solid wood the width of your shoulders and the length of your feet. then you can either use pvc piping or another piecve of wood cut into a triangle the same length as the board with the flush end connecting to the bottom of the board. stand on that and lift the weight. not only will this accelerate your mucle development, it will develop your stabilizer muscles which do more for you on a day to day basis than the ones that just make you look good.

post-11-1141929759.jpg

My PE class has twelve kids in it. Right now we're doing a dance unit, and this girl Carley and I are the only two girls in the class. We're also the only two who will dance, she likes to show off, and I have no shame.

Our teacher was trying to get us to do the twist, we had a 'twist off' and most of the guys stopped and said 'Oops, I'm out.' and sat back down. She got incredibly angry and said 'You're out when I say you're out!'

Good times.

And, we had a badminton tourniment. Carley and I (Once again put as partners) came in second. Insted of a victory dance, we had an awesome handshake.

I need a cheap, not too difficult way to shape up. Mainly to loose weight and gain some muscle. Any ideas?

Alright, well it's very innefficient to try and lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. To lose weight, you need to take in less calories than you expend during the day. To gain muscle you need to take in more.

So Id reccomend cutting first to lsoe the fat. Do a lot of cardio, eat healthy, and keep lifting weights. You won't see many gains, but it'll keep you from losing strength.

Then, when you're thin enough to be happy, you're gonna ruin it. Go on a bulk. Eat high calorie, high protein foods and lift like a beast. Limit cardio, and you will gain some fat. However, you will also gain some muscle, and then, when you cut again, to lose that fat, you'll end up ahead of where you started.

i lost 35 lbs in grade 12 when i had mono and almost 6 years later still havent got it all back.

i just noticed you said 35. Holy fuck boy, it's a good thing you didn't gain it all back if you could afford to lose that much in the first place.

How'd you get mono?

i was 185 in grade 12. 6'1", and basically no fat... at this point i was on my way to play semi-pro hockey in the summer after i graduated. i was in pretty good shape, but then i went down to 150 during the bout with mono and now im in at around 175-180, 6 years later.

i got it from the girls. its funny because this one chickie i was pretty much in love with decided to break up with me, and i knew her best friend wanted me, so i let her have me, and then i went to a party two nights later and let another girl have me and then on monday i couldnt move very good, and while waiting for a buddy at another buddy's house, i fell asleep on the sidewalk... and thats when i knew something was wrong.

needless to say i had three girls calling my house the following week asking me for symptoms.

haha i just had my mono scare. my story is somewhat similiar.

And as for you excercise nerds, you're scaring me away. I don't have any idea what you guys are talking about ahaha.

Hey near fantasticites...

One of my main hobbies is working out and physical fitness. I try to go to the gym 4-5 times a week on a split routine. The way I divide it up is:

Day #1: Cardio an hour normally 30 minute run 7.0-8.0mph then 30 minutes on a step-mill

Day #2: Chest

Day #3: Back

Day #4: Shoulders

Day #5: Arms (bicepts, tricepts, forarms)

every day i work in abs either on the floor, a resistance ball or a crunch machine. Also, i do some light leg work outs every day too.

I find if i spend one specific day only on legs, they'll be outta commission for a few days.

Basically I'm starting this thread to hear your workout strategies... maybe nutrition tips... or even what you like to listen to during a work out.

On my mp3 player i have many songs... Great MG songs to work out to include:

-Born To Kill

-We're So Heavy

-Let's Get it On

-Weapon

-Near Fantastica

-Inescapable Us (great for a cool down)

Meh. Keep'r real.

Woodoo and peace out.

I'm just all about the cardio. I don't have the time to deal with weights or machines or anything.

I like to run 3-4 times a week. I prefer to run outside but if I have to at the gym I'll do intervals so I don't get bored. If I am just doing straight running at the gym, I will listen to my mp3 player and not alliow myself to look at how much time has passed until I have heard 6 full songs. This can be quite difficult if things like Man of Action, Near Fantastica or any Tool song comes on. Otherwise I also swim and bike at least once a week and play baseball.

I love summer. So much to do outdoors.