Links234

Gym/working Out

Guest jsunC

I just bought this protein drink today. Its 40 grams of protein with zero carbs etc. Oh man does it ever taste like horse vomit. I wasn;t too pleased, but drank it anyways.

OKAY! Today was the second time EVER that I went to the gym. My friend Bob is teaching me how to use the equipment and shit like that. Today I worked on my upper arms I guess and my arms feel like rubber, but it feels good.

I am really, really fat right now. I mean, I'm not obese, but I'm like 230lbs and 6ft tall. So, I'm building up muscle and stuff...Yeah, I know, I don't know much right now, but I'm learning. And it helps that Oak Bay Rec. is just down the street from me and the gym is open until 12am and the pool is open until 1am and I just bought a year membership..

I guess you're an endo. you'll gain fast, which means you can lose the extra pounds fast if you want. I have a friend who was your size and lost it in a year.

if you're really into it but Arnolds encyclopedia. it's like the bodybuilders bible. mostly everything's in there that you need to know

Well, I'll keep that in mind! Thanks for the suggestion!

Also at Oak Bay Rec, there is a lot of people that that are willing to help. But it's cool that I have a friend that is teaching me pretty much.

I really should have hopped into the pool though and swam for an hour or so.

Guest jsunC

i dropped like 80 lbs in like 8 months. Trouble was i couldnt stop losing weight for a bit. It took me just as long to put 15lbs back on

I had that trouble too. When I first started working out I was 265 lbs. After six months I had dropped to about 190lbs. It was tough to properly gain back the weight. I actually had to basically cut cardio for awhile and have faith in a clean, clean high protein diet. Honestly, skinless chicken, fish, tons of veggies (frozen'll do). Eat constantly... 4-5 meals a day. Your meal doesn't have to be huge... just as long as your body's processing some food.

I've been floating at 210 for the passed 2 years or so. You'll find your happy medium eventually. Just give it time. Dont try to any shortcuts. If you have to lift light weights at first, that's great... just do slow, controlled reps. Everytime i go to the gym I always see at least one person wasting their time improperly training and lifting way too heavy.

To me, training's always been a personal thing. I've never had an ego about lifting heavy or anything. Do what you're comfortable with. The rest will come before you know it.

Congratz on your hard work losing that weight. That's really impressive. ;)

Edited by Kyle86

I had that trouble too. When I first started working out I was 265 lbs. After six months I had dropped to about 190lbs. It was tough to properly gain back the weight. I actually had to basically cut cardio for awhile and have faith in a clean, clean high protein diet. Honestly, skinless chicken, fish, tons of veggies (frozen'll do). Eat constantly... 4-5 meals a day. Your meal doesn't have to be huge... just as long as your body's processing some food.

I've been floating at 210 for the passed 2 years or so. You'll find your happy medium eventually. Just give it time. Dont try to any shortcuts. If you have to lift light weights at first, that's great... just do slow, controlled reps. Everytime i go to the gym I always see at least one person wasting their time improperly training and lifting way too heavy.

To me, training's always been a personal thing. I've never had an ego about lifting heavy or anything. Do what you're comfortable with. The rest will come before you know it.

Congratz on your hard work losing that weight. That's really impressive. :angry:

It's good when I have someone showing me what to do, giving me the support I need, and going late ;)

Right now I'm just using like 25lbs weights purly because I'm not ready for anything heavier.

i started doing bicept curls with 15lbs weights.

TIP: I see people doing bicept curls wrong all the time. Dont turn your hand toward yourself when you curl your arm... then turn it back when you lower it. That works two seperate sections of your arm. Instead focus on slow, controlled motions up AND down. Actually you get greater gains from the down stroke than the up.

Leave your hands still... either do a hammar curl (weights horizontal) or a bicept curl (weights vertical). Never ever twist horizontal to vertical... you're spreading yourself too thin and you're wasting your time ;)!

Curl as many reps as you can... max 15... then as soon as your arms hurt too much to do anymore... use some momentum and swing the weights up quickly... then add resistence and lower the weights as slow as possible.

This was a tip an old personal trainer (and ex-mr. universe) gave me when i first started working out.

Motion's the ocean

Edited by Kyle86

Guest jsunC

When i first starting working out, i had no direction, and i just lifted as much as i could. took me a while to learn.

WOO ShAWN HORCOFF JUST SCORED ! !

OT Winner baby

Edited by jsunC

I never liked twisting my wrists during curls. but it's not necessarily a bad thing.

the biggest thing you have to worry about is not your wrists but where your elbows are. they should be at your side. I always see people with their arms way in front and widened. plus everyone swings weights, which is good for your last couple reps maybe, but some people just do it al the time.

I could curl 150 too if i swung the weight. I'd also break my back lol

if you like high reps Kyle you should try 21s.

yeah I know what you meant, 21's are a type of set for curls.

lift from your waist halfway up 7 times, then from 90 degrees up 7 times, then full reps 7 times. something a bit different..quite cool.

the hardest thing is shocking your muscles,especially biceps it seems, cause they have memory and they get used to exercises. so, whatever you don't feel like doing is what you should do . like, mess it up. do 6, 10, 12,8. or whatever is the opposite of what you normally do.

By the way, I remember someone put out an open challenge for squash. I think it was adam.

I accept that challenge, for anyone who goes to a GTA Y!

Edited by heyrabbit

I'll have to try that sometime.

For biceps i normally do

-curls/hammars (depending on the week)

-concentration curls

-flat bar

-preacher

then i'll either do a pyramid with cable curls (starting at 120x1, 110x2 ... 30 x 10, 30 x 10, 40 x 9 ... 120 x 1) or i'm not sure what it's called, but you have two shoulder height handles attached to cables and you pull the handles in towards your head, like you're flexing.

thats cool,just make sure you don't neglect either the outer or inner heads.

switch it up between close-grip and wide

I don't use the cross cables too much.. I have a kurl bar at home. they're like 40 bucks if it's worth it to you. I recommend that.

Also, one of the best things is pushups...works the whole upperbody. wide lat raises and dips are wicked too

I need to buy a new skipping rope.i have one that's too short, if anyone wants it

Yeah, dips have been giving me retarded results lately. So are plate raises! Grab a 25 plate to start. Hold it in both hands, and then raise it (slowly) to eye level. You should be able to see through the hole. You should feel it in your shoulders. Do NOT use momentum, as this is a very easy excercise to cheat on, but when done properly, it gives a great pump.

An excellent back excercise:

1.Get a barbell and load up one side with desired weight. Leave the other side empty.

2.Put it on the ground

3. Straddle it, and bend the knees slightly, making sure to keep your back straight

4. Grab the weighted end. Your hand should be between your legs, and when you pull the bar up, it should be as if you're pulling it towards your groin.

5. Repeat with other side.

And Rabbit is dead on about the pushups. They even work your abs to a small extent!

An excellent back excercise:

1.Get a barbell and load up one side with desired weight. Leave the other side empty.

2.Put it on the ground

3. Straddle it, and bend the knees slightly, making sure to keep your back straight

4. Grab the weighted end. Your hand should be between your legs, and when you pull the bar up, it should be as if you're pulling it towards your groin.

5. Repeat with other side.

yeah those are T-bar raises.there are machines for that.well, a platform and a spot to load weights. that was my favorite back exercise by far. I loved that thing, always felt it. But they got rid of it to make space for something else.