Johnny Cash is incredible. And his stuff can fall into a number of different genres, especially considering he had like a 40 year career.

Earlier stuff = Country

Most Recent Stuff = Folk

There's the occasional bluegrass/gospel sound in the midst of everything as well.

I've grown up on country....I love Garth Brooks above all, but lately I've really been enjoying Tim McGraw, Keith Urban, Toby Keith, Brad Paisley and Dierks Bentley. They're all pretty good, Tim McGraw is a great songwriter, and Brad Paisley just loves to have fun in his music. It's great.

ps, Cash was rock/country when he first started, I mean, he toured with Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley in the beginnings of their careers.

Guest jsunC

I would class Johnny Cash as folk.

Tim Mcgraw is actually a really good songwriter, he has some good lyrics.

What about Dixie chicks.. they did a good cover of Landslide by the Smashing Pumpkins.

I would class Johnny Cash as folk.

Tim Mcgraw is actually a really good songwriter, he has some good lyrics.

What about Dixie chicks.. they did a good cover of Landslide by the Smashing Pumpkins.

did you seriously just credit the SMASHING PUMPKINS for the song landslide? are you an idiot? landslide is a fleetwood mac song. it's one of the most well known fleetwood mac songs ever written, EVERYONE KNOWS IT IS A FUCKING FLEETWOOD MAC SONG.

oh my god.

Mrs. Jesus, I have to agree with you. I seriously thought that everyone knew it was a Fleetwood Mac song, sung by the great Stevie Nicks who also wrote it.

I may love the Smashing Pumpkins, but their cover is SHIT.

aha i was gonna edit it after i made the post, then i didn't. I just assumed no one would care.

Sure you were. admit it you fucked up and now your trying to back peddle. why can't men just admit when the were wrong?

aha i was gonna edit it after i made the post, then i didn't.  I just assumed no one would care.

Sure you were. admit it you fucked up and now your trying to back peddle. why can't men just admit when the were wrong?

Let's think about this one for a minute....

o right, they lack the capacity.

Guest jsunC
aha i was gonna edit it after i made the post, then i didn't.  I just assumed no one would care.

wow you came to that conclusion fast.

The "I Like It I Love It" guy . . . Tim McGee or some shit like that. He made my Monday Nights this past football season.

tim mcgraw, that song is lame man... but he is quite talented, and his wife is faith hill. what a freaking babe

Tim McGraw is a talentless hack. It must be so luxurious to have someone write a song for you about your own Dad dying. His wife is equally appalling, as she doesn't bring anything interesting to the table either. I think the two of them should perhaps die in a nice plane crash together simply for having the nerve to classify themselves as "The new Johnny and June."

Johnny Cash is a definition of country. He has cowritten songs with Bob Dylan for one of his many theme albums throughout the sixties and seventies, but even those could easily be classified as country and not folk. If you'd like to say his first two albums under the Sun label were rockabilly, I could agree, but with over 100 albums of material that have been highly influential in not only country music but music as a whole, saying he's folk is off. However, pick up "Songs of Our Soil" to come close.

When it comes to artists who are still alive, Dwight Yoakum has been fairly solid his whole career and is faithful to the roots of country music. The same can also be said of Brad Paisley, though he normally takes advantange of the novelty song. Nickel Creek is also a favorite. Their recording quality and playing ability is excellent.

My wife enjoys the Dixie Chicks, but I find them above average at this point. I'm a sucker for anything Willie Nelson touches because is voice is like water and that sounds great on my system.

Edited by darynalexander

He also did a cover of "When The Stars Go Blue" which adds nothing new to the song and was already covered by The Corrs (with Bono). And Faith Hill did that horrible Janis Joplin cover...it goes on and on.

Oh, this thread's about favorite country artists...crap.