Kyle86

Spyware

I tried searching for this one, but i couldn't find anything so... here it goes:

I've recently been having an abundance of trouble with spyware on my pc. Normally a quick sweep with Spybot or Adaware'll do the trick...but lately for some reason, there's about 8 objects that just wont let up.

I've tried running a virus scan as well... that's clean... so it's just these damned persistent spywares that refuse to be removed.

I decided to (finally) switch to firefox to test that out. Do you have any tips on free ways to clean up those persistent objects?

Guest jsunC

or you can just do a system restore to when you didnt have the problem. If you tell me the problem you have i might be able to show you how to fix it.. im a dweeb.

Also try using the panda active scan. It will get rid of any viruses for you

www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/

the main problem is, of course, the infamous pop-ups. The other thing it was doing was continously launching limewire again and again and again. I uninstalled limewire to stop that from happening, and also to allow my clean up software to... well, clean up.

Basically spybot and adaware can clean up everything except two programs.

1) Command Service - two registry keys

2) Surfsidekick - a few files and directories.

The software says they can eliminate them after next reboot, however the programs have a way of auto-launching themselves before the software can remove them. Then Command Service and Surfsidekick bring right back to square one by re-adding all the programs i cleaned up the first time.

I'm fairly certain there are no viruses. These are just aggravations.

I'm running the panda-thang as we speak.

I don't think I have spyware, but then again, I don't know. I've had no problems with my computer with it, unlike my IBM Aptiva that I had...ugh...that thing was NASTY! Also, Windows ME is the DEVIL!

My Mac runs pretty clean. Again, I don't t hink I have any.

Guest jsunC

The registry things are a bitch. Personally i would just do a system restore. Restore it to when you didn't have the problem (if you can remember) it works wonders. Chances are you won't lose anything you downloaded.

i ended up having to do a system restore, it was b-r-u-t-a-l. Turned out i had more than just spyware. I had a huge virus, including a key stroke monitor. My internet company actually suspended my connection briefly while i cleaned up my system.

Either way... problem solved. Thanks for your suggestions.

What do you guys think of firefox? Do you find it a better alternative to I.E.

Also, which file-sharing device do you use? I use to use limewire, i'm thinking of switching to soulseek.

Limewire Pro and Internet Explorer. Firefox annoys me, and I don't know why.

Nod32 has stopped every malicious threat for a year now with one exception. Of course, that exception required a full reformat....

i use firefox and get little in the way of spyware anymore. i also use "ad-aware" to find spyware if i think i'm being subjected to it. works like a charm. also, the virus scanning software called "panda" or something works wonders when it comes to blocking spyware and viruses.

system restore can lick my taint. It causes more problems than it solves.

Put microsoft antispyware on your box (its called defender or something like that now). I've had the best experiences getting rid of spyware with that.

Also spring for a good antivirus, you may have to pay for it, but if it saves headaches it's worth the money.

Panda, AVG, and Avast are all decent free scanners, though I was never a fan of Panda. Nod32 is excellent, but not free...but let's just say that it didn't cost me anything either.