glo

Deportation Of The Blackmores

This isn't really a political issue but I figure it's up for debate.

One of Canada's polygamist family (the Blackmore's) went off on the media because of last weeks story about Warren Jeffs being put on the FBI 10 most wanted list for sexually exploiting underage girls. They (the Blackmore family) claim that the FBI are violating the Charter of Rights guarantee for freedom of religion.

Has anyone else heard about this?

Regardless of what one thinks of polygamists, parents of Canadian children should not be deported.

How is it different than them simply going to jail?

Because that's what's happening. They are going to jail and serving their jailtime in the country in which was committed.

Come on, didn't you read what these people did? They're more than polygamists, they're fucking sexually abusive pedophiles.

They don't have anything to do with Warren Jeffs.

Here is the relevant info:

http://www.cbc.ca/bc/story/bc_blackmore20060517.html

That isn't the family's only concern. Three of Blackmore's American wives were recently denied permission they sought to stay in Canada on humanitarian and compassionate grounds.

Edith Barlow, Martha Chatwin and Zelpha Chatwin have been ordered to leave the country, although they are married to a Canadian citizen and have 16 children among them, all of whom were born in Canada.

The family has been told the children can stay in Canada along with their father and his other wives.

I think that parents of Canadian children should have a right to stay in Canada.

Edited by Bizud

You do realize that Nazi war criminals were allowed to stay in Brazil for the same reason?

EDIT: Stupid argument. These people are criminals. Persecution my left foot. I hate to sound too arrogant here, but those kids are better off away from the dozens of mothers and lone father.

Edited by ecnarf

They are the wives of a polygamist.

...making them polygamists.

Polygamy is like making a baby. You need two people to do it, and one person is not more responsible for it than the other.

No, the crime of polygamy does not include the act of marrying someone who is already married.

It does if you know that the person you're marrying is already a polygamist.

How do I know this?

I have a copy of the Criminal Code of Canada right in front of me.

Everyone who

(a) practises or enters into or in any manner agrees or consents to practise or enter into

(i) any form of polygamy, or

(ii) any kind of conugal union with more than one person at the same time, wehther or not it is by law recognized as a binding form of marriage; or

(b)celebrates, assists, or is a party to a rite, ceremony, contract or consentthat prports to sanction a relationship mentioned in subparagraph (a)(i) or (ii) is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years.

Anyone who is assiting a pedophile should be charged. If that's what these women did then send them to their punishments. I dont necessarily agree with deportation, because it can last longer then a punishment and one needs to factor in the children and how they will be impacted by the judgement.

Anyone who is assiting a pedophile should be charged. If that's what these women did then send them to their punishments. I dont necessarily agree with deportation, because it can last longer then a punishment and one needs to factor in the children and how they will be impacted by the judgement.

One also needs to factor in how the children will fare living with a bunch of pedophiles.

What pedophiles? They're not pedophiles! There's no accusation of them being pedophiles or assisting pedophiles! Everyone needs to forget what they think they know about this case and reacquaint themselves with the details.

Ecnarf, good call on the polygamy statute, but Canada still doesn't prosecute polygamy anymore - many other western democracies have legalized it and Canada probably will someday, but in the meantime we've all but given up on prosecuting it, and rightfully so - whatever one thinks of polygamists, criminalization isn't a solution unless child abuse or pedophilia are involved.

What Canada is going to do is send these women back to the United States where they will not be charged with anything (they haven't done anything wrong) but will have to live without their children, and their children without them. That is wrong.

Edited by Bizud

What pedophiles? They're not pedophiles! There's no accusation of them being pedophiles or assisting pedophiles! Everyone needs to forget what they think they know about this case and reacquaint themselves with the details.

Ecnarf, good call on the polygamy statute, but Canada still doesn't prosecute polygamy anymore - many other western democracies have legalized it and Canada probably will someday, but in the meantime we've all but given up on prosecuting it, and rightfully so - whatever one thinks of polygamists, criminalization isn't a solution unless child abuse or pedophilia are involved.

What Canada is going to do is send these women back to the United States where they will not be charged with anything (they haven't done anything wrong) but will have to live without their children, and their children without them. That is wrong.

hah whoah that pedophile thing really got out of hand!

I dont think they should criminalize or prosecute people for being polygamists if and ONLY if, it can be reliably proven that the women or men aren't indoctrinated or in fear of leaving, which a lot of wives of polygamists are. It becomes in my mind a quite terrible crime if the women are trapped, nothing to do with morality at all, i dont care if you have ten wives and they all love you dearly and love each other and wouldn't leave for the world. It's when you see the women who are indoctrinated or scared or being abused into staying and thats really messed up. But how would you regulate such a lifestyle? The same way we regulate marriage? I dunno..