sodamntired

Early Career Predictions?

its all wheel drive... i suppose i could.

here's the plan. you fly out, i'll pick you up at abby airport, we'll go straight to mission and run this fucker into some mud. if it gets stuck, we'll vandalize it and go back to my place and report it stolen. we'll be each other's alibi.

what kind of car do you drive again?

own an S2000, which is currently at the dealership on display, so i am using a bmw 330xi courtesy car until mid next week when the M comes in.

edit: upon closer inspection, it seems i replied to a post not directed to me.

haha

yeah you posted while i was writting my post.

adam's car shall remain a mystery i suppose

what kind of car do you drive again?

own an S2000, which is currently at the dealership on display, so i am using a bmw 330xi courtesy car until mid next week when the M comes in.

edit: upon closer inspection, it seems i replied to a post not directed to me.

haha

yeah you posted while i was writting my post.

adam's car shall remain a mystery i suppose

... the one flaw of messageboards.

every car that didnt have a 4 banger in it in those years had a northstar.

just like every dodge/jeep/chrysler product now has a hemi.

it winds up fast though, eh? i love the northstar engine. a guy who was really popular in the MR2 community put a Northstar V8 in an MR2.

Yes, it does wind up fast. Highway merging is fun. I just push the accelerator down a bit and the engine revs fly up and the car zooms forward. The only problem is that it has a 4 speed transmission, which can make the car sluggish to get going at certain speeds.

P.S. It's not a V8, it's a V6. It's basically a Northstar with two cylinders chopped off and balancing weights added in. So it's a V6 that sounds like a V8.

How is one supposed to do that with a 4 speed automatic transmission? The car will automatically downshift when I press the gas in, but that's about it.

I do have the option of sort of sequentially selecting the gears (the shifter goes PRND321), but it takes a good second or so for the gear to actually change when I do that.

3 and D are the same thing, so if you want more torque you have to start in 2, then either shift into 3 or right into D upon redline. The actual Drive gear is 3rd and 4th gear. 1st and 2nd have the same amount of power available, so you'd only use 1st for towing or for going down a hill as it uses high revs to control the speed. that metheod used to be good for saving brakes, but now with the price of gas its better to ride the brakes and save the fuel. funny how things change so quickly.

I find that untrue with my manual trany... modern engines only inject fuel when your pressing the gas. So even in an auto if you set to a lower gear, then the high revs don't cost you fuel. When they do give you is higher compression, and that's the braking action. This is all dependent on driving style though. I use a lot of coasting and engine compression deceleration. I get much better consumption this way then when I use a gas/brake style.

wtf is this thread about?

3 and D are the same thing, so if you want more torque you have to start in 2, then either shift into 3 or right into D upon redline. The actual Drive gear is 3rd and 4th gear. 1st and 2nd have the same amount of power available, so you'd only use 1st for towing or for going down a hill as it uses high revs to control the speed. that metheod used to be good for saving brakes, but now with the price of gas its better to ride the brakes and save the fuel. funny how things change so quickly.

No, the 3 setting keeps the transmission from shifting up into fourth. Or at least, I'm pretty sure it does. I do recall driving down the highway in third gear a few times. Either way, putting the transmission into third improves engine braking and keeps me from speeding (too much) down hills. I've only ever had to use "1" once, and that was going down a steep driveway at Mont Tremblant.

Besides that, I can easily get the engine to hit the redline if I just shove my foot down hard enough. The redline is around 6,000 RPM and have gotten the engine to around 5,000 RPM from flooring it, before I have to take my foot off the gas so I don't hit the guy ahead of me. So there's no real need to put the tranny in 2. But just to test your hypothesis, I'll test it out tonight if I can. Research, hah.

No, the 3 setting keeps the transmission from shifting up into fourth.

thats what i meant when i said "3 and D are the same thing" the only difference being D will shift you into 4th automatically. hence the "automatic transmission". sp like i said if you want faster launches you have to start in a lower gear. and of course if you put the hammer down on the throttle you'll redline.

its not in first gear. its in 1st Drive gear. you'll get a faster launch if its in the actual first gear because thats where the torque is.

automatics are tuned to be able to function without having to shift. D is basically the last few rpms of 2, all of 3 and all of 4.

if you were to start a car equipped with a manual transmission in 2nd or 3rd gear, you'd still be able to go, but there would be very little torque to pull you. whereas if you start in 1st and floor it, you'll get nothing but wheel spin because its ALL torque. so my point is this... if you want a faster, more powerful launch, you have to start in 2nd gear then upon redline (or whenever you want to shift) throw it into D.

Edited by one_trick_pony

highway entrance ramp - the only place i can put the hammer down and feel the pure power of my car without hearing the wrath of my passenger.

if anyone lives in the lower mainland you have to try this... going over the port mann bridge westbound, accelerate and take the firts exit after the bridge, it becomes a very narrow single lane off ramp that banks down hill then cuts up and to the right after approx 60 metres onto an overpass and into your own lane (so no worries of slowing down to merge)... then after about 80 meters the road takes you into an 270 degree interchange that you can easily do 80km/h on (or faster if you have good tires... its spin-out-able) it slopes down slightly to the right then underneath the overpass you were just on, up slope to the left and onto the highway into your own lane. its an amazing little "course" that i detour onto when coming back from that side of the bridge through coquitlam. i then take the next onramp back on to #1 into vancouver. i'm going to try to get one of my buddies with a steady hand to ride shotgun and record it on video for all who cant experience this excellent engineering.

Edited by one_trick_pony