sodamntired

Early Career Predictions?

Guest jsunC

My friend had a 89 Fiero, he ripped out the original engine, and threw in the good ol' 3.8L with the supercharger from a 99 Bonneville. He got a 5-speed in there too.. Needless to say this thing rips.

OTP, have you ever driven a volvo s60 t5? My friends neighbour let us have his for a night to pick up his daughter. I think it pushes out about 250 horses on a 6speed. This thing was probably the fastest car i've ever driven, even faster than the SLK 320, and s430 i was pleasantly surprised.

Okay, so I did try out the trick you told me.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ. Never have I had that car accelerate from 50-100 so fast. All I had to do was gun the throttle, watch the tach approach redline, and put the shift lever back into drive, and I was at 100 km/h. Wow.

After doing that, I can appreciate just how spongy the automatic feels when in drive. It's like there's a friggin' elastic between the pedal and the engine now.

My friend had a 89 Fiero, he ripped out the original engine, and threw in the good ol' 3.8L with the supercharger from a 99 Bonneville. He got a 5-speed in there too.. Needless to say this thing rips.

OTP, have you ever driven a volvo s60 t5? My friends neighbour let us have his for a night to pick up his daughter. I think it pushes out about 250 horses on a 6speed. This thing was probably the fastest car i've ever driven, even faster than the SLK 320, and s430 i was pleasantly surprised.

never driven one, but i've heard ALLLLL about them. definetly a sweet ride. its a sleeper, and i like that. definetly the best volvo has ever done.

the day people realize how fun an automatic CAN be, is the day driving even the laziest sedan becomes more fun. the first car i EVER drove was automatic, and i drove my mum's autos until i bought my first car, so perfected how to make it go fast as fast as possible real quick. if that made any sense.

I used to drive a Saturn station wagon... It had this neat little switch that made the transmission shift at higher RPM... so it basically gave you a bit more torque.

You have to be careful with some older autos when shifting to 1 or 2, they didn't have an RPM shift lock, so if you are moving you can redline your engine.

Guest jsunC

overdrive, yah?

If people are so pissed off about gas prices why do newer cars not have an overdrive button? Unless it's built into the transmission, and it turns off when you hammer the gas....

..sounds logical to me.

Edited by jsunC

I think it's since they came up the learning tranny. That is, the transmission attempts to adjust it's shift points wrt the load on the engine. Example: My parents drive a newer truck, when they tow a trailer, the first day sucks for fuel. Then the chip has learnt the load requirements and adjusts the shift points to optimize torque.

Ideally you don't need an overdrive on/off, because the car will figure out when it should shift.