Moonlight_Graham

Harper Proposes Fixed Election Dates

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...ote-060526.html

Conservatives are acting on their campaign promise to try to bring in fixed election dates for federal elections. Elections will be held every 4 years in the 3rd week of October.

What do you think of this proposal idea?

I think its fantastic. I know people are going to say "no no we don't want to be like the Americans" but fuck that, other countries have fixed election dates & its a great idea, much better than what we have now where the controlling party can call an election at any time when it is at their political advantage. This will even the chance for all parties. October is also the best month for elections IMO since winter is bad for weather & getting to the polls, & people are away in the summer, & people are busy back to school in Sept.

How could fixed election dates be a very bad thing?

I think it's awesome. But yeah, year long campaigning like the US is a bit much; they should have legislation introduced that limits the campaigning to a month. There's still ways around that even but at least we woouldn't have the blantantly obvious campaigning complete with the crazy signage.

How could fixed election dates be a very bad thing?

I think it's awesome. But yeah, year long campaigning like the US is a bit much; they should have legislation introduced that limits the campaigning to a month. There's still ways around that even but at least we woouldn't have the blantantly obvious campaigning complete with the crazy signage.

Yah i dont want my streets littered with stupid ad campaigns for a year, i would be some pissed.

Oh see thats a big problem too, if we can't bring down the gov't by a vote of non-confidence then future PM's can ram-road any friggin legislation they want like in the U.S. That would friggin suck.

Heh?

I assume that this just means the bill would fail and the government would simply carry on with its business.

So, would this mean that the government couldn't be brought down by losing a vote over something like the budget?

From what I read, that would still be possible.

Edit: Yup, first paragraph...

Prime Minister Stephen Harper says his government will introduce a bill next week to establish fixed federal election dates every four years except in cases where the government is defeated in a House of Commons vote or is otherwise "prevented from governing."
Edited by Ravenous itchy

So, would this mean that the government couldn't be brought down by losing a vote over something like the budget?

No, from what I've read everything else would function exactly as it does just instead of the government being able to call an election anytime within 5 years it happens once every 4 years automatically.

I really like the idea.

Edit: I should have read the rest of the thread. This was already answered. My apologies.

Edited by Monochrome Rainbow

From what I read, that would still be possible.

Edit: Yup, first paragraph...

Prime Minister Stephen Harper says his government will introduce a bill next week to establish fixed federal election dates every four years except in cases where the government is defeated in a House of Commons vote or is otherwise "prevented from governing."

Thanks. Guess I should've read the article first. I've got no problem with it, then.