Kyle86

Terrorism In Canada?

They had three times the ammonium nitrate Timothy McVeigh used, that's a scary thought.

The Toronto Star reported Saturday that Canadian youths in their teens and 20s, upset at the treatment of Muslims worldwide, were among those arrested.

Great way to make your voices heard, morons.

*Quote from MSNBC story.

Well it worked i guess. Their message is the #1 news story in Canada & the US right now. Thank God there was no violence in a bombing or in the arrest.

I'm not suprised at this. Canada has been pretty lax in their immigration policy & its a fact that many terrorists and terror groups (i believe the number is around 50) are in Canada right now. These particular people who were arrested were born-Canadians, which is even scarier.

I said when the London subway bombing hit that Canada was the only nation yet to be hit on Bin Laden's publically stated "hit-list" of countries. So its really just a matter of time before a successful attack is made in Canada.

But congrats to the RCMP and CSIS for thrwating this attack. Scary world.

I agree i was glad when i heard that it had been stopped. But id be weary and skeptical of anyone who starts giving you numbers on how many terror cells there are: "its a fact that many terrorists and terror groups (i believe the number is around 50) are in Canada right now." This is just what they tell us, it could be less it could be more, i just dont trust the government all that much. What im worried about though, is due process, i dont want us to end up like other nations ( we already have in many ways) and throw our liberty's away. Liberty is what makes a democracy a free nation, let's all try and make sure that we can keep it that way.

I said when the London subway bombing hit that Canada was the only nation yet to be hit on Bin Laden's publically stated "hit-list" of countries. So its really just a matter of time before a successful attack is made in Canada.

What about Italy?

P.S. There are other "coalition of the willing" countries that have yet to be hit.

Funny how nobody mentioned yesterday that this was in fact a police sting operation.

RCMP behind bomb material

Investigators controlled the sale and transport of three tonnes of ammonium nitrate in an undercover probe of an alleged homegrown terrorist cell

Police say they moved in quickly to avert attacks in southern Ontario

The delivery of three tonnes of ammonium nitrate to a group suspected of plotting terrorist attacks in southern Ontario was part of an undercover police sting operation, the Toronto Star has learned.

The RCMP said yesterday that after investigating the alleged homegrown terrorist cell for months, they had to move quickly Friday night to arrest 12 men and five youths before the group could launch a bomb attack on Canadian soil.

Sources say investigators who had learned of the group's alleged plan to build a bomb were controlling the sale and transport of the massive amount of fertilizer, a key component in creating explosives. Once the deal was done, the RCMP-led anti-terrorism task force moved in for the arrests.

At a news conference yesterday morning, the RCMP displayed a sample of ammonium nitrate and a crude cell phone detonator they say was seized in the massive police sweep when the 17 were taken into custody. However, they made no mention of the police force's involvement in the sale.

"It was their intent to use it for a terrorist attack," said RCMP assistant commissioner Mike McDonell. "If I can put this in context for you, the 1995 bombing of the Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City that killed 168 people was completed with only one tonne of ammonium nitrate."

Ammonium nitrate is a popular fertilizer, but when mixed with fuel oil it can create a powerful explosive.

Standing behind McDonell were the chiefs of police from Toronto and Durham, York and Peel regions, as well as officials with the Ontario Provincial Police and the Canadian Security Intelligence Service

"Reports of "imminent danger" are greatly exaggerated. Best thing we could do to make Canada safer? Get out of Afghanistan." Exactly. Imminant danger is horseshit, and we still don't know the whole story yet on the materials, so seriously we cant say anything for sure right now. Id like to know who is saying that these citizens and non-citizens had training camps?

Bizud, I do believe that I mentioned this was a police sting operation.

P.S. Did anyone notice how I'm the only person in this thread that lives in Toronto? (notwithstanding Bizud, as I don't know where he lives). That means I am most likely to be affected/injured/killed by a terrorist attack. That means my opinion is approximately, oh, 150% more right than anyone else's by default.

Bizud, I do believe that I mentioned this was a police sting operation.

Sorry man, dunno how I missed that.

I live in Kamloops, in the BC interior, the chance of a terrorist attack here is exactly nil. Toronto is the most likely target of a 9/11 style terrorist attack if you believe that the 9/11 attack will be copied - what are your thoughts on how to prevent terrorist attacks on Canada? I think that the first thing we have to do is is ensure that Canada is not a target.

Now, these people are all Canadians, right? And may not actually be guilty of anything? Even though my initial reaction was praise for the RCMP, I don't think I have that much trust in the federal government upon reflection, I really think we are buying in to the US's "war on terror" framework too much.

This government, like the last, has done nothing to ensure the release and return of Omar Khadr, the Canadian being held in the illegal American prison Guantanamo Bay. Khadr is being held for "murdering" an American soldier in Afghanistan (I believe during an escape from a detention facility). If that same American soldier had shot and killed him, would that soldier be on trial for murder? Khadr was 15 when this happened. He is a victim of war in every sense. American soldiers have no rights in Afghanistan, no matter what Hamid Karzai says. Most Afghans do not recognize his government.

Now people are talking about new measures to help the police crack down on this terrorist scourge. Meanwhile, the Washington Post just broke the story that the US government is keeping a genetic database of Americans. The right-wing neocon fringe wants to give the police unprecedented security powers to appease the Americans, whose government is run by their own right-wing neocons. It looks to me like the police more than had a handle on things with the powers they have now.

Exactly. Imminant danger is horseshit, and we still don't know the whole story yet on the materials, so seriously we cant say anything for sure right now. Id like to know who is saying that these citizens and non-citizens had training camps?

Canadian Police did:http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/06/03/...in1679996.shtml

"Canadian police told reporters the group recruited angry young Muslims and maintained an al Qaeda-style training camp north of Toronto."

I read today in the newspaper that at least one of the suspects cited Canada's role in Afghanistan as one of his reason for wanting to attack. So obviously us in Afghanistan is an obvious source of motivation for terrorists in Canada, and has increased our chances of being hit. However, i still think we would have been hit anyways eventually.

For these people that say we should get out of Afghanistan, do you think we should not be fighting terrorist camps abroad & terrorist-supporting/harbouring regimes? Should we just let Al-Queda run around the mid-east at their own will? Should we just let all our allies do all the fighting & let their soldiers get killed while we go off & do much less dangerous peacekeeping duties?

Fighting Al-Queda & the Taliban in Afghanistan is, IMO, a just war. And yeah war is a messy thing & it sucks. But its not right for Canada to stick their heads in the sand & be pussies just because a few of these extremist morons threaten us. Give me a break.

P.S. Did anyone notice how I'm the only person in this thread that lives in Toronto? (notwithstanding Bizud, as I don't know where he lives). That means I am most likely to be affected/injured/killed by a terrorist attack. That means my opinion is approximately, oh, 150% more right than anyone else's by default.

I live in Ottawa, & the Parliment buildings (plus the U.S. Embassy & possible other landmarks) were said to be targets by this group. So its not like Ottawa is immune to anything. Plus my sister lives in downtown Toronto.

Who are "the Taliban," and how do you distinguish them from the average Afghani shepherd or farmer, who owns an assault rifle, has trained in a training camp (which may or may not have been run by those who call themselves Al-Qaida) and sends his sons to be trained in such camps because he feels they should learn to defend themselves from invaders, be they British, American, Soviet or Canadian? I sure couldn't tell the difference, and I don't trust that our armed forces are able to tell the difference...or care to. In fact, in many cases there may not be a difference. To the average Afghan outside of metropolitan areas, we are invaders. Afghanis have a very long history of resisting occupation.

As for fighting terrorists, there are plenty of terrorists we should be worried about, like the ones in Washington. Or Moscow. Or Jerusalem. Or even Ottawa - I've heard reports that the forces we sent to Haiti were assisting the military regime that ousted Aristide in repressing the population. But I assume what you're talking about is preventing 9/11-style terrorist attacks on Canada. If this is the case, why, in your opinion, might Canada be a target for such attacks?

As for "letting al-Qaida run around the middle east," you can thank the US invasion of Iraq for that, as it has resulted in a dramatic increase in terrorism in the region, as was predictable.

it is funny, when the goverment does nothing they get yelled at, and when they do do something, they get yelled at. what i have hard is that the people who where planing the attacks in Canada have been living here before 9/11, and before we sent our troops to afganistan. maybe, and just maybe, a .000000000000000000000001% of the muslim public doesnt like canada for various reason. but you can say that about any religion, i am sure .00000000000000000000001% of roman catholic's dont like the fact that there are gay marriages in Canada. the first line of defence against the war on terrorism should be military force, it should be the ordinary public look out for people who want to kill innocent people.

Bizud,

I don't agree with everything that goes on during war, or the allied occupation in Afghanistan. Unfortunately, i'm sure there's a lot of bad things that goes on there caused by all the countries who have occupied that country & ousted the Taliban. But i do agree with us fighting in Afghanistan, removing the Taliban, and breaking up the terror groups that the gov't harboured there. Unfortunately i can't control what each individual solider does there.

But I assume what you're talking about is preventing 9/11-style terrorist attacks on Canada. If this is the case, why, in your opinion, might Canada be a target for such attacks?

Osama Bin Laden himself mentioned in an interview in 2002 that Canada was one of the nations Al-Qaeda has targeted. The others he specificly mentioned were "Britain, France, Italy, Germany, Canada and Australia".