incubus70

World Cup 2006

Guest jsunC
Pavel, you may say that when Russia gets anywhere in world soccer.

Russia's not THAT bad at soccer, and last time I checked, Hollands hasn't ever won a world cup.

BURN!

Russia's not THAT bad at soccer, and last time I checked, Hollands hasn't ever won a world cup.

BURN!

Last time I checked,

-Holland was in the World Cup

-Holland went farther than Russia in the Euro Cup

-Russia has never won a World Cup.

I fail to see the burn.

I've always gone for France and Holland.

The diversity of Canada is shown pretty well around world cup time. I mean, almost everyone reverts back to there ancestral roots and votes for their home country. I guess this is a unique trait to Canada, the most multicultural country of all.

The diversity of Canada is shown pretty well around world cup time. I mean, almost everyone reverts back to there ancestral roots and votes for their home country. I guess this is a unique trait to Canada, the most multicultural country of all.

Ya man, Toronto is at its best during the World Cup. There are so many ppl from different cultures here, and surprisingly a lot like their football(even though hockey rules supreme).

Guest jsunC

BURN!

Last time I checked,

-Holland was in the World Cup

-Holland went farther than Russia in the Euro Cup

-Russia has never won a World Cup.

I fail to see the burn.

it was more of a joke, it wasn't actually intended to be an insult.

Ya man, Toronto is at its best during the World Cup. There are so many ppl from different cultures here, and surprisingly a lot like their football(even though hockey rules supreme).

The quadrenial World Cup makes for some of the funnest times people can have too. You can spark a conversation with literally anyone, meet tons of people in bars and coffee shops... Pretty much anywhere.

Canada isn't the most multicultural country of all...

Then who is?

P.S. Half the reason I'm getting that ridiculous jersey is so I can wear it around town and piss people off. Not too many Dutch people in Toronto, I can tell you that. Most of them were dairy farmers when they came here after WWII.

Guest jsunC
Most of them were dairy farmers when they came here after WWII.

thanks captain history, that's really relevant to the discussion.

AHA, anyone see the Trinidad and Tobago v Sweden game today?

Then who is?

I would think it would be really difficult to say for sure. To determine you'd pretty much have to count how many cultures are in a given nation but then you'd have difficulty in determining whether or not one group of people can be considered a different culture. For instance in India they've identified like 800 different languages and more than twice as many dialects. There's a variety in religious belief and practice, and so on and so forth. But to someone in the west, they're all just Indian.

Then who is?

I would think it would be really difficult to say for sure. To determine you'd pretty much have to count how many cultures are in a given nation but then you'd have difficulty in determining whether or not one group of people can be considered a different culture. For instance in India they've identified like 800 different languages and more than twice as many dialects. There's a variety in religious belief and practice, and so on and so forth. But to someone in the west, they're all just Indian.

you could say the same thing about the united states. a californian speaks a different language than a georgian, and they DEFINETLY have different cultures. i think when people think "multicultural" they think "multirace" an east indian from india is still east indian, no matter what language they speak or what part of the country they're from.

Then who is?

you could say the same thing about the united states. a californian speaks a different language than a georgian, and they DEFINETLY have different cultures. i think when people think "multicultural" they think "multirace" an east indian from india is still east indian, no matter what language they speak or what part of the country they're from.

Sure but whose place is it to make that distinction? I think even if you look at as a question of race rather than culture, there's bound to be all sorts of gray areas that occur.

Just to be a dick, I don't really consider the U.S. or Canada to have distinct cultures. The U.S. is a country, not a nation. Tibet is a nation but not a country. See?

The reason why I don't consider North America to have a distinct culture is because a culture needs to be interesting somehow. We spend our time commuting from a cookie cutter neighbourhood in the suburbs to a downtown desk job and back at night. In between we eat food made primarily of some sort of polymer. Everything distinctive about North American society exists only because of convenience, not because of history.