The daily show has really gone downhill over the past year or so, when it got to the point instead of interviewing authors and politicians, that it's movie stars and celebrity. Rght now, the Colbert Report is the only show that I really watch.

Yeah I feel the same way! I mean, why would he have the Rock as a guest... Oh wait, Doom was a smash hit... ugg. I wasn't able to watch it yesterday, but the day before he interviewed the wife of of Cheaper by the Dozen... His interviews just aren't the same. The last good one I remember was with Vice Pres Ford.

A couple nights ago, Stewart had a really interesting debate with a conservative author over same-sex marriage. I dunno, I think he does enough of the "meaningful" interviews to keep my interest.

Colbert, I haven't watched as much of, but I think he's great. Did anyone see the video of his speech at the White House Press Corps dinner where he blasted Bush who was sitting just a few places away? Genius.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/6/9/95330/18489

Have a good laugh.

I think Jon Stewart's great - not sure about the whole interviewing celebrities only thing... the last few times I've watched, it's been people I don't even know (conservative authors, republicans, etc). Lewis Black is definitely the best part of the show.

As for the Colbert Report....enh. It's like watching another half hour of the Daily Show, but it's not AS funny... it's ok. I usually just turn it off after 5-10 mins and go to bed.

Edited by mself084

Guest apsham

I have to say I watch the Daily Show only, I have only liked a few of Colberts segements, much preferring Lewis Black over him. Black also did a better address to congress, I think too.

Lewis Black would probably be much less funny if he had 30 minutes to himself every night.

Yeah I agree - he's like Kramer from Seinfeld...good, but when u devote a whole show to a secondary "character" (remember that sitcom Michael Richards had right after Seinfeld? didn't think so), it just doesn't work.

We should change this thread into a favourite Lewis Black moment. I liked last week's when he was talking about the US/Mexico border... "yeah, nothing keeps Mexicans away like a giant construction site"...and the kool-aid man knocking the wall down...funny stuff.

Guest apsham
Lewis Black would probably be much less funny if he had 30 minutes to himself every night.

He IS a standup comic, you know? With multiple albums...

the daily show just edits random clips of bush, jon makes a face and that's everyones cue to laugh. it was fun while it lasted, but it's definitely on its way out

the colbert report is basically everything bad about the daily show spun off into its own show. it has all the wit and charm of a will ferrell movie. All Stephen ever had was a flair for that Phil Hartman style of sarcasm that seems to work so well for political satire.that's why he was great for a segment, but when you give him his own show it's just too much random bullshit for one time slot. Random humor only works when it's RANDOM.making an entire show of it defeats the purpose of that style of humor.

there's no comedic flow. Every line is a punch line which really wreaks of effort. Don't get me wrong -there's some great writing mixed in- but they try and pass off too much nonsense as jokes. you can only mask so much behind Stephens showmanship before the viewers realise that there's nothing funny, just stephen talking funny. (Simpsons)