Crusader

Global Warming

Thoughts?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts?

• Fact
    • Lies! Conspiracy! Communism!
    • True but not so serious

Well when the ocean raises we'll all be dead. Oh, and also, the insane weather patterns will kill us because of global warming. We're basically heading for total ecological disaster, and thusly, our own complete and total destruction.

One thing about Global Warming has always intrigued me. While taking a highschool Geology class, we learned about something called the Gaia Theory. It is a simple theory that basically states the Earth is a living organism, and major disasters, catastrophic weather and disease are ways that the Earth purges itself from damage. At the same time, the Earth can modify its surface temperature over time, this producing a new evolution, or another link to survival of the most fit. Originally the Earth was full of carbon dioxide, but ocean plants sprouted and began to take in that CO2 and create Oxygen.

So, in my opinion, it is mind blowing to see that we have missused the Earth for so long that it is finally striking back in a way that WILL seriously cripple much of its inhabitants.

One thing about Global Warming has always intrigued me. While taking a highschool Geology class, we learned about something called the Gaia Theory. It is a simple theory that basically states the Earth is a living organism, and major disasters, catastrophic weather and disease are ways that the Earth purges itself from damage. At the same time, the Earth can modify its surface temperature over time, this producing a new evolution, or another link to survival of the most fit. Originally the Earth was full of carbon dioxide, but ocean plants sprouted and began to take in that CO2 and create Oxygen.

So, in my opinion, it is mind blowing to see that we have missused the Earth for so long that it is finally striking back in a way that WILL seriously cripple much of its inhabitants.

Was this course taught at some whacky hippie school? Stick to real science. The Earth isn't a living organism, and it cannot raise its temperature or cause severe storms. If you go into the centre of the earth, you'll find a shitload of liquid rock, not organic matter.

either way, the weather madness is our fault. whether or not we provoked the earth...

Definetly

Agreed.

Although the Gaia hypothesis is just that, a theory. However it does have it's merits. The Earth, may not have consciousness, but I

See, I hate to be a dick, but this is where the scientist in me kicks in:

Global warming and the ensuing effects are not caused by the Earth, they have been caused by humans. Every effect of human activity can be broken down and quantized without the need to account for the Earth not liking us. How can the Earth be alive, and what's the point of stating that it's alive?

Oh everything right now that's causing global warming is overwhelmingly caused by Humans. What's the point in stating that living ecosystems are alive? Well maybe it seems redundant, but a lot of people believe nature is dead, that because it has no consciousness that it is somehow not living, or at least from my experiance.

Either way, we are killing our host, no other parasite does this unless it can move onto another host, we obviously can't, so we better change our tune.

I hate stephan hawking haha

I dunno the whole idea of us just leaving Earth to go destroy some other planet seems pretty terrible. I mean, right now the technology really isn't there, i mean yes we could make little colonies, but to travel really far distances in search of another "Earth" type planet is a bit off yet i think. Whenever we can get past this whole, thermodynamics thing, then i think it'll be a lot more feasible. But even still, I don't know, would people really want to just leave Earth forever? Would anyone miss it?

I don't know about you, But I've kinda become accustomed to earth. And how long are they predicting for the total effects of global warming to fully take effect? probably not for atleast 100 years or so. If it was any closer do you not think that there would be alittle bit more of a panic in everyone?

And if were going to become the super power with our farming capibilites when this happens good for us. That just means that everyone has to go through canada and the states will have shit all to do with anything.

And how long are they predicting for the total effects of global warming to fully take effect? probably not for atleast 100 years or so. If it was any closer do you not think that there would be alittle bit more of a panic in everyone?

And if were going to become the super power with our farming capibilites when this happens good for us. That just means that everyone has to go through canada and the states will have shit all to do with anything.

Wow Josh, that was insightful ;)

We're not talking about a hundred years man, we're talking ten. People aren't panicking because like you and like many many other's they don't actually know how serious the problem is, and how quickly this is all taking place.

In Antarctica, yes, where the penguins are, lol, massive amounts of frozen ice have broken off, and fallen into the ocean. This is a big problem for the raising of the ocean, and desalinating the ocean. Also, Greenland's ice has been falling into the ocean, more then expected, again the combined effects of too much of this, will have devastating consequences. We're talking about 20 feet of global raised ocean levels, which means, Manhattan under water, which means a ton of coastal regions globally are underwater.

We're talking about millions of refugee's. Global warming is a huge, huge issue, and people need to google, it, need to educate themselves on it, because there are going to be a lot of crazy weather really soon.

Everyone thought Katrina was bad, want to know why? Well because storms get more violent as they pick up more warm water beneath them, thus you see devastating consequences like Katrina. Storm's and psychotic weather patterns would not be AS bad, if we were at lower global temperatures.

The general scientific consensus on this issue is overwhelmingly in favor of global warming being real, and something urgently needing to be done about it. Kyoto is a really small step, this proposal wants to bring global carbon emissions down to 1991 levels. This is again, a really small step, since 1991 levels are still unsustainable and unbearable for the Earth.

I know I

Actually, Katrina wasn't that bad of a storm when it hit. That was just location.

And Gore's science isn't exactly dead-on. It's fundamentally accurate, but the one claim in his movie about Antarctica melting and the ensuing raised ocean levels was exaggerated.

The sun has gone out. Neutrino observatories worldwide have found less neutrino radiation than should be present were the sun's core in fact generating its normal fusion reaction. Sunspots are at an all-time recorded high. As it cools, it will contract enough to restart that internal fusion and heat up again, exanding once more. It is a cycle. The earth is headed toward its ice age for that reason, and greenhouse gas is the only thing currently keeping it warm enough to be easily survivable.

Well, probably not. But it is a theory, and the potentially factual basis of an otherwise fictional book I read at work the other day. Basically: Misguided environmentalism destroys the Earth and leads to an age of advancing glaciers and state technophobia.

Warming, cooling, nobody here will be alive long enough to die from it. The bandits/cannibals/slavers will get you before the cold does. And famine and pestilence will get you before rising seas do.

This is going to be an interesting few decades. And hopefully the last.

Edited by Sparq