Crusader

Global Warming

Thoughts?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts?

• Fact
    • Lies! Conspiracy! Communism!
    • True but not so serious

Actually, Katrina wasn't that bad of a storm when it hit.  That was just location.

And Gore's science isn't exactly dead-on.  It's fundamentally accurate, but the one claim in his movie about Antarctica melting and the ensuing raised ocean levels was exaggerated.

I didn't say that.

I said that Katrina was violent, and it was, it grew quite large before it hit. It caused so much damage because of the levies, not just the storm. But it was in fact, more violent then it would have been.

If it's fundamentally accurate, then it's dead on, where exactly is he exaggerating? For example

"Two separate studies from climate researchers and the space agency NASA show the glaciers are flowing into Antarctica's Weddell Sea, freed by the 2002 breakup of the Larsen B ice shelf. Writing in the journal Geophysical Research Letters, the researchers said their satellite measurements suggest climate warming can lead to rapid sea level rise."-From link

But yes, everyone, get your shotguns, cause the zombie/cannibals are indeed comming lol

Edited by supercanuk

http://www.slate.com/id/2142319/

As a motion picture, An Inconvenient Truth has a lot to say, but contains little imaginative cinematography that might have made global warming engaging at the suburban cineplex. The picture the movie paints is always worst-case scenario. Considering the multiple times Gore has given his greenhouse slide show (he says "thousands"), it's jarring that the movie was not scrubbed for factual precision. For instance, this 2005 joint statement by the science academies of the Western nations, including the National Academy of Sciences, warns of sea-level rise of four to 35 inches in the 21st century; this amount of possible sea-level rise is current consensus science.

Yet An Inconvenient Truth asserts that a sea-level rise of 20 feet is a realistic short-term prospect. Gore says the entire Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets could melt rapidly; the film then jumps to animation of Manhattan flooded. Well, all that ice might melt really fast, and a UFO might land in London, too. The most recent major study of ice in the geologic past found that about 130,000 years ago the seas were "several meters above modern levels" and that polar temperatures sufficient to cause a several-meter sea-level rise may eventually result from artificial global warming. The latest major study of austral land ice detected a thawing rate that would add two to three inches to sea level during this century. Such findings are among the arguments that something serious is going on with Earth's climate. But the science-consensus forecast about sea-level rise is plenty bad enough. Why does An Inconvenient Truth use disaster-movie speculation?

ecnarf, when it all comes down to it, we both agree. As far as I can see, we just have different multiple sources. I do hate Al Gore, but i didnt say why, he's a politician, and his job is to make himself look like this Earth loving crusader when regular folks have been fighting for the earth much longer then he, but he gets to take all the credit as this great environmentalist. Sure, he paints a worst case scenario, but that snippet basically also says that sure, it might not be like that either. I didnt say that it was going to be exactly how Al Gore portrayed, i said the science was accurate, and it's possible, and global warming patterns will get more violent. I still stand by that because there has been a definete increase in violent storms. But anyway, this whole thing is kind of semantics, so im just going to drop it since we basically agree on a fundamental issue.

Of course. Any idiot can see that rising temperatures will cause ice to melt, which will cause sea levels to rise, and I'm the kind of guy that tends to agree with people who know what they're talking about. I saw a clip of the movie pertaining to rising sea levels, and I think Gore's figure of 20 feet was based upon the whole of Antarctica melting.

Interesting fact: It would only take a global temperature drop of 4 degrees Celcius for a "nuclear winter" type scenario to take place. If such a small dip in temperature can have a disastrous effect in the cold direction, just fucking imagine what it could do in the hot direction.

Yah actually i had heard that, it kind of freaks me out, when you think of how much the Earth is sensitive to weather changes, and the more i read about it, the more i get completely freaked out lol. But yah, i am also the type of person who agrees with people who know what their talking about, which appears to be the both of us!

Edited by supercanuk