glassjaw

Moving To Calgary?

Well folks, this is just an information seeking thread. I was hoping that someone from the Calgary area could give me any information for me, and my potential move to Alberta. How is the cost of living out there? Is it easy to find apartments? I know that there are tons of jobs available. I just want to move out of this tightly knit community that I've lived in for 23 years. This is almost like my mid-life crisis at age 23. Anybody with any recommendations for me, or anything that would be helpful? Anything will be useful

Thanks people

The market is very pricey. For a 1300 sq. foot house is about $300,000 and appartments are fairly hard to find. As for jobs, there is a desperate need for things such as police, transit workers and labourers not to mention the house builders are always looking and pay pretty well.

Logan's a good guy.

After a brief search, single bedroom apartments in Calgary are going for between $600-$900/month, depending on the location, and not counting the super nice ones which go for more.

aww I love you too

Why Calgary sucks:

-flatter than the contents of a training bra

-the downtown core is called "city centre"

-you can see the downtown core from just about anywhere in the city, it's so flat

-did I mention it's flat?

-redneck conservatives galore

-if you've ever had to wait in the airport or drive through it (like I have) you'll know you're prone to die of boredom.

The only advantage to the flatness is that you can see the rockies. That's about it, really.

That doesnt hold true to the whole city though. It's very large, and the more west you go the hillier it gets. The Northeast (by the airport) is admittedly very flat, but the South and West parts are not. Also, if you can have a half-decent ski hill INSIDE the city (COP) it really can't be all that flat, can it?

Edited by Ravenous Yam

"Good" reasons? Now you're just asking too much. When you've only spent a total of a few hours in Calgary (during which you were safely protected behind thick layers of glass), you learn to hate it because it's only a stopover for all your West coast vacationeering.

Why Calgary sucks:

-flatter than the contents of a training bra

-the downtown core is called "city centre"

-you can see the downtown core from just about anywhere in the city, it's so flat

-did I mention it's flat?

-redneck conservatives galore

-if you've ever had to wait in the airport or drive through it (like I have) you'll know you're prone to die of boredom.

The only advantage to the flatness is that you can see the rockies. That's about it, really.

Ah yes, the evil conservatives! Did you know that every Calgarian yells their political opinion at everyone and will NOT accept anybody different? Did you also know that Alberta (not just Calgary) is completely flat up until the rockies, where the ground goes soaring up from 0 metres to 1 billion metres. We also call it "City Centre" because we are the centre of all known conservatism and puppy sacrifices. Our airport is boring yes....like EVERY OTHER AIRPORT EVER! I have spent several hours waiting in Toronto International, bored out of my mind I guess that's minus infinity points for Toronto. Anyway, you're right Adam, the Foothills of Calgary ARE too flat and the flatter the city, the more boring the downtown core name is and more unimpressive the airport is, the worse the city is.