okay, so i am looking to buy (well, lease) a car for next year instead of getting a place in toronto for my first year at university.

i obviously don't want a fancy car, just something that gets me to and from toronto and isn't a piece of shit.

so all you people who are knowledgable about cars, please help me.

My advice to you: take public transit. Seriously. A friend of mine is going to be taking the GO train out to Sheridan college next year, and she lives more or less in the downtown core. You do not want to have to deal with the hell that is rush hour in Toronto, esp. considering you'll be navigating your way in and out of car-unfriendly downtown Toronto.

Drive to and from the Hamilton GO Station if you have to, but driving in and out of Toronto every day is going to kill you, or someone else. Downtown driving is not for the weak of heart.

You'll just have to pay the cost of monthly GO and TTC passes, not the cost of the lease, insurance, gas, and maintenance.

believe it or not, you really should be concerned with HOW your getting... your/your prarents' credit score is the a major factor in your lease rates and what kind of car you're eligible for.

every of the common manufacturers you see on the streets have a budget car. if your parents have impeccable credit, the sky is pretty much the limit in what kind of car you can get and it all comes down to monthly payments and what you can afford. also if you're ok with paying into a car for X years and then either dropping off the keys or dropping down $XX,XXX go own it. asking a bunch of people on a messageboard what car to buy when you're not concerned with "HOW" you're getting wont help you much.

the best thing to do to start is make a list of cars you like or could see yourself happy with, then do research on them. if you can narrow it down, take your parents do the dealer and take it away.

edit: in response to ryan and the miester, i wouldnt choose domestic at all for lease. likely honda, hyundai, toyota. reason being entry level domestics are very very shitty and bare bones.

Edited by one_trick_pony

i agree with one trick, if you get a car, go with a honda, hyundai and toyota. you can drive them into the ground, and when your done with it, kick it to the curb and forget about it.

My advice to you: take public transit. Seriously. A friend of mine is going to be taking the GO train out to Sheridan college next year, and she lives more or less in the downtown core. You do not want to have to deal with the hell that is rush hour in Toronto, esp. considering you'll be navigating your way in and out of car-unfriendly downtown Toronto.

Drive to and from the Hamilton GO Station if you have to, but driving in and out of Toronto every day is going to kill you, or someone else. Downtown driving is not for the weak of heart.

You'll just have to pay the cost of monthly GO and TTC passes, not the cost of the lease, insurance, gas, and maintenance.

What he said.

Driving to and from downtown TO daily would suck ass.

On the other hand, I totally agree with the Honda/Toyota sentiment.

Lauren, this past school year there was just one serious incident on the TTC, and that was a strike. The only other thing that came close was a temporary shutdown of one of the subway lines that didn't last until 8:00 AM. Compare that to the living hell that traffic is during a winter storm. I can guarantee you every two weeks from December to March Meg will face a day of hellish traffic. I don't mean to sound condescending here, but Meg does not come across as the driving type. You have to be a pretty damn good driver (something anybody our age is definitely not) to safely navigate empty snowy roads - try adding a few thousand cars all trying to get to the same place as you.

So, think about it. One day of not getting into school vs. several days of extremely dangerous driving that will delay you to the point that you may as well not go there in the first place.

I'm being entirely serious here. I see no reason why Meg shouldn't just take the GO Train / TTC to school. OCAD is right in the heart of downtown Toronto where there is plenty of subway/streetcar service, you can get from Hamilton to Union Station way faster on the Go Train than you could ever hope by car, it's way cheaper, and it's much safer.

Public transit may blow chuncks.. but driving in Toronto is a bitch. I know I wouldn't want to drive in that.. Plus the government has introduced tax breaks for people using public transit.

i love seeing new people on the subway. last summer, a girl asked joel to hold her baby bamboo plant for her, as she was moving back home for the summer and had a bunch of crap with her.

I do live close, but I'd rather drive.. but I don't like being caught in traffic.. cause that sucks royal balls.. I don't have the patience to drive in ottawa or the money to fix my car when some fucking moron runs into me in a fucking wall-mart parking lot. atleast if the hit the damn bus it's not comming outta my pocket and I get to laugh at that retard cuz he just fucked his car and the bus is nearly indestructable.. *yes only nearly they are getting old and shit happens*

but your choice.. you could always just use a friend who has a car.. works well for me and my friends.. LoL

I once took candy from a stranger on a bus. Actually, they were cough drops. I was going home sick from school and it was winter and several buses had broken down leading to the two of us waiting a long time for the bus to come.

one great thing about owning a car is that you dont have to worry about it going on strike like public transportation. Stupid OC Transpo, and it was right before exams too. GO FOR THE CAR, I live right accross the street from a major bus stop in ottawa, and i wish i had a car. to many crazy people on the bus.

one great thing about owning a car is that you dont have to worry about it going on strike like public transportation. Stupid OC Transpo, and it was right before exams too. GO FOR THE CAR, I live right accross the street from a major bus stop in ottawa, and i wish i had a car. to many crazy people on the bus.

Hence the valuable lesson: live on campus.