icantremember1989

If I Was A Tidal Wave

anyone tabed this yet?

hey Ryan44, the political stuff makes you angry? how so? what about? why would you feel that way?

you explore those thoughts and matt's song has done more than it's service, especially given the spin-turned world in which we exist. everyone has a need to examine our situation personally, and if you examine it and you come out angry at the leftist message, well at least you thought about it. cheers matt.

I don't think that it's so much the content of the lyrics, just a general annoyance of too much politics. Or something like that.

Myself, I really enjoy it and I think that it's a relevant song to the current situation, although some of the lyrics make it a bit dated.

Yeah, exactly. it just seems so 'specific' ya know?

It talks about Mayor Young, the Saudis in particular, etc. Black Helicopter is pretty political too, but the lyrics are much more veiled, and that's why I like them better.

Tidal Wave is a great song, for sure, the lyrics just sort of bug me.

I don't think that it's so much the content of the lyrics, just a general annoyance of too much politics. Or something like that.

yes thank u. i am sick of hearing people trashing bush. its getting really old. i am not a fan of politics, so i really dont like how this is set up. i liked songs from the band. like the rock ones they had. that dont have anything to do with politics. i really like this new sound, just not the lyircs. at all. you are better than this matt, expand, dont keep going off what everyone, including yourslef have already done, maybe not in song, but its old

yes thank u. i am sick of hearing people trashing bush. its getting really old. i am not a fan of politics, so i really dont like how this is set up. i liked songs from the band. like the rock ones they had. that dont have anything to do with politics. i really like this new sound, just not the lyircs. at all. you are better than this matt, expand, dont keep going off what everyone, including yourslef have already done, maybe not in song, but its old

Yup, I agree.

More political stuff ;) He should find something new to sing/talk about. Human rights, etc.. have killed his music.

Don't really want to get into a debate over this whole thing, since it's all personal preference and all, but I figure at least he's trying something different again. Assuming he sticks with the whole acoustic thing that is. But then again, I'm liking it.

As for the whole political aspect, I'm kind of indifferent to it, but he's made what? 2 or 3 direct references to Bush (NAFL & this, off the top of my head). I can deal with that.

I admire Matt for his opinion, because it's educated. He does his homework before voicing an opinion. I wish the world was simpler and there were nothing better to sing about than broken hearts. But, there's more important things. And I think he raises awareness with his politically charged lyrics. Although I admit I'm not always as up-to-date in the happenings around the world, and it does get overwhelming, I think you can't just turn a blind eye to it and pretend it doesn't exist. Then you might as well listen to some lame pop song. Matt's deeper than that, and so are most of his good fans, so I say, let him do what he does best -write songs.

that is why Matt is an artist and other people are just musicians, or bands or groups,i guess if you don't like it don't listen, matt's gonna write whatever suits him, whether anyone likes it or not, as far as being a fan or politics, i don't like to wake up either and hear that x amount people have died because of US foreign policy, but thats whats going on, ignoring it makes us part of the problem, to be honest, and i'm gonna go a little off topic, most arists who "go political" never really seem to gain fans because of their views, sometimes, but rarely do they sell more records because of it, saying anything important is always a risk, which is awful i think, there should be more artists that write with global issues in mind,

and i don't see how writing rock songs like the band is going off and expanding, and most artists don't write political songs, most artists write love songs to tell you the truth, with the exception of bob dylan, steve earle, rage, system, nofx and a couple others, few artists have written a lot of politically influenced work lately

Selina hit it right on the mark

Edited by driftinginfluence

I like it.

If every song was extremely specific I might have a problem with it, but I don't have an issue with this one. It's nice to have a song once in awhile that's actually about something.

Maybe if enough people had trashed Bush before the last election, we would've have been stuck enduring his shit for another four years. I'm actually counting down the days until he's out of office. 812. You think gas prices will start to decline when that happens? I do. I also think no U.S troops will leave Iraq until then either. But, whateva.

Maybe when they've mixed it it will sound better

Can't you record professionally please?

I'm not so sure about the new musical direction

This aint funny

Why can't it sound like it did before?

Maybe you should record it professionally

Cause I'm not sure if I like this new...

Musical direction

Let him do what he wants, it's his music and he can do what he wants with his style.

and i don't see how writing rock songs like the band is going off and expanding, and most artists don't write political songs, most artists write love songs to tell you the truth, with the exception of bob dylan, steve earle, rage, system, nofx and a couple others, few artists have written a lot of politically influenced work lately

Selina hit it right on the mark

I myself really don't have a problem with the overt politics, and I respect Matt for doing what he can to make his fans aware of issues that need to be heard. However, I think that constant references to current events and people tend to make the lyrics dated, like I mentioned before. I like how the 'Tidal Wave' lyrics are, but a couple years down the line, will they still have the same poignancy? Compare them to 'Blue Skies Over Bad Lands' or 'Empty Road', two other protest-style songs like 'Tidal Wave' and I don't think they really stack up at all in terms of relevance in the future once Bush is out of office and US ties to the Saudis are lessened to the point where there isn't any energy dependence.

It's the same reason why Bob Dylan's music is still relevant today. Much of it can be applied to today's current situation as if it was written yesterday.

The 'Tidal Wave' chorus, however, is pure, concentrated awesomeness. I wonder if he got the idea from the book 'Crashing the Gate' by Markos Moulitsas, the guy who does Daily Kos.

he took it off, i wonder if he read this.

Yeah, it was down when I first read this thread a few hours ago. I was so glad when I saw that people had quickly ripped the song for my enjoyment.

Yes, they did it solely for MY enjoyment.

I think he stole it from Wintersleep.

"I'll be a tidal wave, when I grow up, crashing on harbours."

But its okay, as good as Matt's song is, it doesn't stand up to Orca by Wintersleep.

I don't really think it has anything to do with Orca. You're right, it's a better song. But to me, its lyrics have no political meaning.

One thing I have always enjoyed about Matt is his music has meaning, it's deep and he writes what he wants. I was actually surprised when he started writing simple love songs, although he does them well too. If it's good music, and what he wants to do, he can write about politics all he wants, it doesn't bother me.

This is a wonderful song. I love it.

I've always wondered why Matt new made more political songs since he's obsessed with it, but now we're seeing more. In a World Called Catastrophe, Alert Status Red, and now demos like Black Helicopter & this song. Beautiful songs with a great message attached.

This is fantastic. The song, and the situation: I just finished watching all of the videos on In A Coma, whice rekindled my admiration of Matt, then I saw this playing on designate's last.fm.

How wonderful. :D